MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

freezing peaches

dogmom4

http://www.seasonalchef.com/preserves12.htm

Could someone look at this page and tell me if it has accurate information? My peach tree is getting wiped out by a family of squirrels...and since I would probably get arrested for killing the littlle suckers I am harvesting as many as I can...but, I want to toss them in the freezer for later use. I just want the easiest way to get them put up for right now. Thanks.

Stacy

I simply wash, peel, slice and put "Fruit Fresh" on them. Put in ziplock bags and freeze. I prefer fruit fresh over lemon juice but you can use lemon juice. It keeps them from turning brown.

Sometimes I put sugar on them sometimes I don't. Depends on how much sugar I have on hand. I can always add sugar once they are thawed.

Sounds about right, to me.

Beat those evil little squirrels!

My Mum used to can all her peaches - till she was working. From there on in, she sliced and put them in the freezer, then when she needed them she thawed and cooked. I dont remember there being any difference in the quality or taste and she did it for about 7 years so it must have been successful in her eyes too!

I slice mine into slightly sweetened, half-reconstituted orange juice and pack them in it.

(Meaning that I mix the concentrate with half the amount of water, then add about a quarter to a half cup of sugar to it, mixing well.)

The orange juice helps retain that fresh "peachy" flavor better, in my opinion.

yumyum

Here come the squirrels, they think you're nuts! rofl

Just kidding, dogmom4.

Last summer, I froze peaches. I peeled them and sliced them into a bowl. Sprinkled with fruit fresh and stirred well to distribute. Dumped them into a freezer safe zip lock bag, smoothed it flat them stuck in the freezer. It worked well. smile

Archived