MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Prayers needed again

dogmom4

Dfil's wife had a biopsy done last week on a mass in her chest. Results came back yesterday that it is cancer. She is doing pre-op today and will go in for surgery tomorrow. They will remove about a quarter of her lung. frown Prayer is really needed because they had told her they didn't want to do the surgery because she is a very poor candidate because she had open heart surgery a few years ago and also because of a myriad of other health issues.

Stacy

She actually had the surgery postponed for two weeks on the advice of a friend who thinks she should check into other alternatives. I'm not so sure it's a good idea to put it off, but I understand why she did it. Sh'es very scared. I don't know what the alternatives are. I think she is going to use this time to get her affairs in order. She is very worried about who will take care of fil while she is in the hospital after the surgery (he is blind and has lost a lot of his hearing) so we will need to figure that out.

Stacy

This is such a trying time for all of you. I will keep you all in my prayers. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to let go and put it into God's hands and then really accept God's will. It is accepting God's will that gets really hard, if it isn't your will. So I will pray that you and your family all have the strenght and faith to make it through. I agree it may be better not to put off the surgury, but if the risk is so great, I am not sure I would do any differently. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

I am sorry your family is going through so much. Your in my prayers. What kind of cancer was it? I know a lot about lung cancer because my Mom and my grandmother both died with it. Here is what I know, if it is small cell lung cancer (the kind my Mom had) it is the worst kind. My Mom with chemo and radiation lasted only two months from diagnoses. My Grandmother on the other hand had the other kind and with no treatment lasted three years after diagnoses. She had already been through a triple bypass and breast cancer so she chose not to take any treatments for the lung cancer. The dr's did not like her decision, but I think she lives longer because of it. My thoughts are with you and your family.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the surgery is over and was successful. They didn't find as much cancer as they thought. They removed a third of her left lung instead of the half they thought they were going to have to take out. She will be in the hospital recuperating for about a week.

This is kind of a p.s. to those of you that smoke....she was a 2 pack a day smoker from the time she was in her early twenties...it affected her heart and her lungs...she didn't quit until a year after her open heart surgery (4 yrs ago)....she did survive the surgery but her quality of life is not going to be great. If you smoke please, please try to quit. It's hard being around someone who has a hard time breathing when you think that it could have been prevented.

Stacy

Archived