MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Cucumbers

Necie

I've looked in all my books and can't find anything except 'pickles'. I'm wanting to can cucumbers. Chunks in water. Pressure canned.

Does anyone have any idea how long for pints/quarts. (I'm already assuming 10# pressure.) shrug

I'm on my way to work. Will check back tonight. Gonna chunk them up tonight and wanna can 'em tomarrow.

TIA bighug

Awww man, Violet- bighugwink

Ya know-I was wondering the same thing-what to do with them. I have TONS of 'pickles' made (may do some quarts of B+B), but was thinking if I could just can CUCUMBERS. yumyum (Funny thing-I can oodles and oodles of pickles and end up giving most of them away-I don't really like pickles....but I LOVE cucumber.)

So I pulled out my cookbooks-well a couple-I have a 5 shelf bookcase FULL-books right way up and books on their sides on top of them. But I know EXACTLY which book to look in for what. These are some of the things I came up with:

Cucumber Dressing

Cucumber Stuffed Tomatoes

Cucumber Sandwiches

Sauteed Cucumber

Stewed Cucumber

Cucumber Sauce

Cucumbers with Bacon

Cucumber Stuffing (for fish)

Cucumber Soup

Chilled I could just throw on salads.

May do some spears as I found a couple recipes for Baked Cucumber.

I figured it would be like canning zucchini-except the only places I find that canned is with OTHER ingredients. shrug

I'm gonna figure it can't be much more than green beans. They are 20 min. for pints and 25 min. for quarts....so, I'll do 25 min. for pints and 30 min for quarts.

Originally Posted By: Necie
I figured it would be like canning zucchini-except the only places I find that canned is with OTHER ingredients. shrug

I'm gonna figure it can't be much more than green beans. They are 20 min. for pints and 25 min. for quarts....so, I'll do 25 min. for pints and 30 min for quarts.

Zucchini can (now) only be canned with other stuff. Canning zucchini alone is now a no-no. I suspect it's the same with cucumber.

I checked my rather elderly Rodale's Stocking Up and all mention of preserving cukes include the word 'pickle' or the ingredient 'vinegar'.

Can you trade pickles for something else?
Originally Posted By: Necie
I've looked in all my books and can't find anything except 'pickles'. I'm wanting to can cucumbers. Chunks in water. Pressure canned.

Does anyone have any idea how long for pints/quarts. (I'm already assuming 10# pressure.) shrug

I'm on my way to work. Will check back tonight. Gonna chunk them up tonight and wanna can 'em tomarrow.

TIA bighug

I think this is one item you will just have to try growing year round. You will have mush if you can them in water. If you use vinegar I am not sure they would be good in some of your recipes.

Could you freeze any of the recipes you mention?

Quote:
Cucumber Dressing

Cucumber Stuffed Tomatoes

Cucumber Sandwiches

Sauteed Cucumber

Stewed Cucumber

Cucumber Sauce

Cucumbers with Bacon

Cucumber Stuffing (for fish)

Cucumber Soup

Here's my frozen cuke salad, but it's like pickles. shrug

FROZEN CUCUMBER SALAD

2 qts sliced cucumbers

1 med. onion, sliced into rings

1 tsp salt

1 c sugar

1/2 c cider vinegar

Mix cucumbers, onion, and salt; let stand 2 hours, drain well.

Heat sugar and vinegar until sugar dissolves. Cool; add to cucumbers. Stir well, put into freezer containers. Makes 3 pints.

How would it work to dehydrate the cukes? Would they work in those recipes when redydrated? Or is there something one could use "dried cuke crumbles" in?

shrug

MtRider [ thinking she won't have cukes unless those 4 plants hurry up! ]

They are actually good dehydrated. I have not dried them myself but have tasted them. Sort of like dried zucchini. I think it would work to add them to salad dressings.

Yep, I agree, I think they would be just mush and would get too dense to can alone in water.

Do you have a dehydrator, Necie?

Archived