MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Peaches

I have the chance to buy a box of peaches (32 pounds) for 26 bucks. So I am going to get a box. (Silly me). I want to dry them, what do I need to do to prep them?

Also, how do I make peach jam? I have never made jam before and I have lost my book on how to.

Thanks,

Hi Angela, straight from the Ball Blue book.

Yeild: about 8 half pints

1 quart finely chopped, pitted/cored, peeled peaches

7 & 1/2cups sugar

1/4 cup lemon juice

1 pouch liquid pectin

Combine fruit, augar and lemon juice in a large saucepot. Bring slowly to a boil, stiring until sugar disolves. Stir in liquid pectin. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard for one minute, stiring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if neccessary. aLadle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water-ater canner.

Recipe Variation: Add 1 teaspoon whole cloves, 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice and 1 cinnamon stick tied to a spice bag during cooking. Remove spice bag before filling jars.

Now, I don't use liquid pectin. I use powdered pectin and I add a teaspoon of butter to the pot to help prevent foaming. If you decide to use the powder, just follow hte directions in the box.

Okay, my fingers are tired now. grin

wormie

John

When I dry peaches all i do is wash them, peel, take out the seed and slice. Be careful not to slice them too thick. If I do they don't fit in the dehydrator. After they are dry I vac seal them.

wormie

John

My dehydrator has a lot of space between the trays I would be able to get a half a peach in there without any problem.

HS-I think maybe you're reading something wrong.

8 half pints = 4 pints = 2 qts

So it would double your original produce, which is usually about right with fruit/pickles.

Hi Aint2nuts, Don't throw out the peach pits. I have a recipe to make the most beautiful jelly from them. I'm at work, the recipe is at home and I won't be home til Sunday night. Just toss them in a bag and freeze. I have a bag left from last year still frozen. Easy to make in mid-winter too!

If I can find the recipe online I will post it later today.

I found the recipe for PEACH PIT JELLY

-----------------------------------------------------

4 c. peach pits

5 c. sugar

6 c. water

1 pkg. powdered pectin

Boil the peach pits in water for 15 minutes. To 4 cups

of peach pit juice add the sugar and pectin and boil for 4 more

minutes. process in water bath 10 minutes or whatever for your altitude.

Yum! Going over to look at Peach peeling recipe in a second. In the meantime I have made Peach Pit jelly for years - it is such a pretty color and delicious to boot. Also when given as a gift the reaction is wonderful. Enjoy - drying Peaches is great too - I'm getting ready to do Kiwi (so good) and Plums the first of the week - they are a bit green yet.

Originally Posted By: Necie
HS-I think maybe you're reading something wrong.

8 half pints = 4 pints = 2 qts

So it would double your original produce, which is usually about right with fruit/pickles.

Yeah, you're right Necie. I was thinking 8 pints. blush Thanks, Hon.
  • 2 weeks later...

peach pit jelly! wow, i have never even heard of it!! i love recipes where things that poeple would normally not use, are used, it really saves on waste. laugh i gotta check out that peach peelings one too. laugh

Archived