MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rhubarb!

Last year I planted rhubarb, the plants survived but no decent stalks. This weekend I was able to pick enough stalks to cook!

And better yet, My husband doesn't care for it so it is all mine!!! (no wonder he wasn't watering it often frown )

Ah..Rhubarb! My mother always had a patch of it. She let us use the giant leaves for kooky sun hats but of course were told not to eat those!

We used to like to eat the rhubarb by the stick, dunked in sugar. She was sometimes hard pressed to get enough for pies and such because we kids raided the patch!

It's versatile but not everyone likes it. !! How nice to have the patch to yourself there,LOL

Originally Posted By: SueC
When we move I am not taking any pot plants -

Don't know about where you are, but around here growing a couple of pot plants will get ya in enough trouble--let alone transporting them. eek Believe that would be a felony. grin

rofl

Oh thank heaven, I'm not the only one who had that thought! I'm sure she was thinking of something like this, though...

rhubarbplant.jpg

ok - terminology:

pot plant = plant grown in a flower pot

Weeeellllll....pot CAN be grown in a flower pot, but it's best to do it that way hydroponically-if ya grow it in soil in a flower pot it'll most definitely get root bound. wink

rofl

bighug
Originally Posted By: Necie
ok - terminology:

Weeeellllll....pot CAN be grown in a flower pot, but it's best to do it that way hydroponically-if ya grow it in soil in a flower pot it'll most definitely get root bound. wink

rofl

bighug

ummm Necie...you sound like you've had a little experience...

oh Dogmom... glad you mentioned that! I was thinking that these ladies knew a little too much about frog licking and pot plants myself!

*I* on the other hand know about this stuff from watching TV! yeah! TV watching, and movies in school like Reefer Madness! why that movie alone scared me to death!

I want red rhubarb! badly! just can't seem to find it. Where did that photo come from? do they sell it?

Westbrook, I'm in Central CA and I got my rhubarb "bulbs" at Orchard Supply Hardware during the Spring last year. Our local nursery recommends putting rhubarb in during the winter here, but they sold out the day it came in so I was stuck with the Orchard stuff. It's been growing great and next year I plan on getting a much larger harvest. One thing I did though, since it's a borderline crop in our area (too much heat)is I planted it in filtered sunlight. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: dogmom4
Originally Posted By: Necie
ok - terminology:

rofl

bighug

ummm Necie...you sound like you've had a little experience...

I know a bit about almost everything, and everything about nothing......

I get asked alot about how I know 'this or that'-and I'll tell you the same as I tell them: Oh, I think I read about it in a book before. whistling

grin
  • 9 months later...

Quantity: An average of 10-1/2 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; an average of 7 pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A lug weighs 28 pounds and yields 14 to 28 quarts -- an average of 1-1/2 pounds per quart.

• 2 weeks later...

leaves are to be used on the enemy!

here is a nice salad! me take a bite? sure! now if you will excuse me, I need to get the rest of dinner (walks quickly away to puke)

Archived