MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

ieveoePOSSIBLE BAN ON CHILDRENS COLD AND FLU MEDICATIIONS

unikemom

THE FDA is doing an investigation on deaths that may have been related to childrens cold and flu medications.

They call for a possible ban on these medications, so if you have a favorite cold /flu medication that you use for your children, you may want to stock up now... I don't really feel that it is the medication in itself causing the deaths.. I believe parents overdosing their children are a high percentage of the problems....

I have known mothers who would give their children these medications even when not ill, just to get them to sleep..

I have used these medications for years myself and never any problem. So while they are still on the market I will be getting enough supply to get us through the winter......

UNLESS THEY PROVE OTHERWISE!!!

I am stocking my daughter's medicine cabinet with things for them and my grandson, and also ours, too.

I got a flu shot today. I do take them each year for health reasons. I don't want to wind up in the hospital.

The pharmacist told me today they are expecting a bad flu season, based on the reports from Australia. Australia had a very bad flu season and they think it will hit here in the US, too.

Walgreens has some free after rebate cold stuff this week so am getting it tomorrow.

I have a lot of teas stocked, too, and some soups.

GoodMorningLilacBear.gif

I think that Unike is right and if given the correct way and for the right reasons, the medication is fine. I know we have given these medications to our grandchildren and they are fine.

I will be getting a flu shot too, but, they haven't said anything about the flu clinic yet. They will be having flu clinics at the drug store and maybe another at one of the churches. If you get the shot at the clinic it is less than if you go to the Dr. Office.

haveagreatday-1.gif

Originally Posted By: unikemom
I don't really feel that it is the medication in itself causing the deaths.. I believe parents overdosing their children are a high percentage of the problems....
I have known mothers who would give their children these medications even when not ill, just to get them to sleep

rant PP!!! I worked for a mother like this! Heaven forbid she should actually care about her childs health & well being, or spending time rocking, holding him. NOOO...his crying was just a distraction from her movie/shopping spree/date etc.!!! UHRRRRRR! ok I'm done , back to your regularly schedualed program...rant

I don't endorse this, you understand...

But an old-fashioned way to get your child to sleep, was to put a Tablespoon of booze in their milk...uh - yeah!tweetz7.gif

Tylenol is easy to overdose and can cause liver failure. I try to avoid using any meds on the kids unless absolutely necessary. One that DOES work for kids is Mucinex. Thins and helps them expell the mucus. Not the same as the other kinds of cold meds for kids, which in my kids case usually made it impossible for them to sleep, and carries the risk of liver failure (acetemeniphen ie Tylenol) Too easy to accidently combine meds containing it and overdose. I think that is the real reason they are taking it off the market.

I think Mucinex is good, too. I keep it in the house and give to my daughter for her family,too. My ear, nose, and throat doctor prescibed it for me before it was over the counter. My regular doctor said it is good, too.

It is the same thing as Guifinisen, also in liquid form in Robittussin, etc.

I don't like to use products containing Tylenol due to its effects on the liver. I do have Tylenol on my Bird Flu preps list, of course, as it would be a relatively "safe" fever reducer (considering the cytokine issues). When my son was little, I only gave Tylenol if he had the flu (due to the issues of giving children aspirin or aspirin related drugs during a bout of flu), and I was VERY careful about dosing according to his weight. It has to be used sparingly and with great care. If I use Tylenol, I want to use it straight, not in a formula of other chemicals such as a "flu remedy". And then I want to be very cautious about the dosage and frequency of use. Buying Tylenol (or a generic equivalent) separately from guifinisen is a safer plan.

I agree Cowgirl but you also might want to have liquid of both those products in case someone is not able to swallow the capsules or pills. Also, be aware, if someone hasn't already mentioned it, that Guaifenesin comes in a timed release also which may or may not be more useful. Regular Guai is fairly short acting.

((( )))

Good point about liquid medicines. I keep liquid benadryl on hand due to severe allergies that could cause an inability to swallow pills. Think I'll change my shopping list to LIQUID acetaminophen. Thanks!

Archived