MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chicken soup

dogmom4

I'm preparing everything ahead of time for canning the soup tommorrow. I was going to put all the ingredients in the jars to trek to my friends house. Is this a no-no? Do I have to do something to the lids besides cleaning them with hot, soapy water and putting them on? Do I have to put the lids on just before putting them in the canner? I can't call my friend because she's substituting for me today and doesn't get off til 6. I need a quick answer please...

Stacy

I don't see why you couldn't carry your ingredients to your friends house in the jars.

As far as lids, they need to be washed & rinsed as you planned, then simmered in plain water just before putting them on the jars.

(You'll probably notice instructions on the box of lids.)

Have fun tomorrow! smile

Thanks Pogo. I finally spoke with my friend. She said the same thing. We'll take the lids off re-wash and also wipe down the rims again. I have 9 quart jars. They're pretty nice looking... smile

Stacy

Well, they're done. 7 jars made that beautiful Pings! One didn't seal so I put it in the fridge...it was sealed a little bit later. But, I think I'm gonna keep it in the fridge and eat it tomorrow just to be on the safe side. One thing I have learned is that canning is labor intensive. I am amazed at how some of you do such large amounts bow ...motherearth, I don't even know how you are on your feet at the end of the day. I plan to keep canning more but am trying to think of ways to do this while working fulltime... Stacy

717-Multimedjars.jpg

FALLGOODMORNING2.gif

This is something I have not made yet, so one of these days, I should make some.

Glad it was good, Buttercup, and I'm sure if you wait another year, it will still be good. smile

FALLHUGS2.jpg

HAPPYWEDNESDAY3.gif3864.gif

Archived