MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

my little experiment with meatballs....

Okay,

1) ground beef, lots of it

2) green olives, stuffed with jalepenos and garlic

3) generous amounts of chopped onion, and various and sundry seasonings. Basically whatever I thought sounded good in the seasonings cupboard. Mrs. Dash, Old Bay, Garlic, lemon and pepper..

4) generous amounts of Worcestershire sauce, dumped liberally all over the meat.

So I just dumped the meat into a bowl, dumped all the other stuff (minus the olives) on top and then mixed it all up by hand until everything was well blended. No measuring devices were used, just eyeball guessing...

Then I dumped in some more Worcestershire sauce for good measure.

Mixed it up again.

Took out about half a handful of meat, put an olive in the middle, and then rolled it between my palms until it was nice and round with the olive in the middle.

Placed them side by side in the Pyrex pan until I ran out of meat.

Then I smothered them in Backhills BBQ sauce, Hot, (made here locally in Idaho), then covered them with shredded cheese.

Then I covered the pan with foil and baked them for 35 minutes at 350. That was purely a guess on my part for the time and temp, the only meatball recipes I could find told me to fry them.

So 35 minutes later..... Wish I had a camara...

MMMMMMMM.......

Good stuff.

It could use some improvement, but for just making it up off the top of my head on a whim, it came out pretty good. If I had any fresh vegies on hand, would have been better. Or even some fruit, like oranges or pineapple. Drape that over the meatball and let it soak....

Now that I've eaten about half of them...

they are a little dry. Maybe less heat and a little less time. They are well cooked.

Some of you who cook more often than me feel free to give some input to improve on this.

no way! those olives were damm good!

Heck, I bought them for the meatballs and then ate half the jar before I got around to making the meatballs.

Tassos All Natural Greek Olives, double stuffed jalapeno and garlic super mammoth green olives.

Dang good....

Other possibilities to have in the center...

pearl onions - cooked or uncooked

button mushrooms

jalepenos - seeded or not, cheese-stuffed or not

chunks of cheese

shrug

FALLGOODMORNING1.gif

I so agree on the olives. I don't even buy them unless it is a Holiday and I know someone will be here who like them.

How about adding a bit of tomato juice to the meatballs. That might keep them a bit more moist. smile

I think you are right, usually meatballs are browned. I know I do that then put them in the oven covered with tomato juice. I also put potatos in with them. They are sliced like a french fried potato. smile

HAVEAGOODDAY.gifHAPPYMONDAYPURLEANDGOLD.gifFALLHUGS1.jpg

Wow... didn't know olives were so unliked around here.

Today I took 4 of them for snack at break. Even better next day.

I like the idea of jalapeno's stuffed with cream cheese in the middle... that sounds darn good.

I thought about after I had them all made and in the oven, but I could have blended in a bunch of shredded cheese into the meat, instead of just putting it on top.

Tomato juice.... hmmmmm.... Have to try that.

My folks would like those with black olives instead of green ones in them. I buy black olives by the case, because they'll grab a can to eat for a snack. The green ones stay around for a while.

I am also not a fan of olives. Yuck. But, my mom swears by grape jelly to keep meatballs from getting too dry. Of course, this is also the woman who puts Corn flakes in her meatloaf.

Well, I'm with Marine...I LOVE olives...and they're very healthy for you too. My mouth is watering just thinking about olives....

Anyway, when I make my meatballs, I put some breadcrumbs in them (about 1 handful/lb of meat) and an egg (1 egg/lb of meat) and then whatever spices and such that you want. That will help your meatballs to maintain moisture, while still holding them together.

That's what makes cooking fun...getting creative and trying new things. It either works, or doesn't. And don't tell me that you girls haven't made something that sounded YUCKY that actually was delicious!

Archived