MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sprouts

Put 1 Tablespoon of seeds in a quart Mason jar ; rubber band a cloth over the top, cover with water overnight; drain. Rinse and drain for maybe 3 days. Eat when the root is the length you like - different people like different lengths. When the root is as long as the seed put in the sun if you want leaves. Store in fridge.

Use the drained water in soups etc, it's full of vitamins.

We sprout alfalfa, radish and broccoli seeds.

• 3 months later...

I'd like to try growing sprouts, but am worried that in our high humidity all I'll grow is mold! There's a Freshlife sprouter on ebay for $9 that I'm tempted to buy, but am just not sure if it's worth it - or even right for my climate.

Can anyone give me some advice please? Thank you very much!

AS long as you keep them well-rinsed, I really don't see a problem. With the high humidity, they may even grow faster in your area! But again, keep them well-rinsed. There are some others here from Florida who I'm pretty sure sprout. Maybe PM Cookiejar or A.T. Hagan and see what they have to say.

Good Luck!

I rinse my seeds in a bleach solution, and then quickly rinse off the bleach, before I set them to sprout. I've got an idea in the back of my head that something molded, once, but I can't really remember. Might have been the hose I was using instead of a rinsing screen? Might have been something I didn't drain well?

I've tried the three-tier sprouter, and found it annoying. Also too big. Now I have plastic screen caps that fit on Mason jars. I rinse them in the morning before work if I think of it. My husband rinses them, he says, faithfully every morning and afternoon. I normally remember to rinse them when I get in from work in the evening. They grow faster and sweeter the more they're rinsed. But they absolutely have to drain completely, or they will rot.

Right now I have a half-eaten jar of broccoli sprouts in the fridge, a just-started jar of broccoli sprouts on the counter, and some sunflower sprouts I started yesterday in the window.

Archived