MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can I can frozen corn?

ArmyOfFive4God

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg Kayla,

I don't have the answer for you, but, do know that the frozen corn is better than the canned corn. smile I've always frozen any corn we had.

Maybe someone else has the answer to your question. smile

HUGS3-2.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

Well, we had some frozen corn on the cob that we either had to cook up or throw out. I ended up letting it thaw and cutting it all off the cob and canning it up. Turned out just fine. Just follow the directions in the Blue Book and you shouldn't have a problem. Happy canning!

Q

You going to share that recipe? It sounds good.

So let me get this straight. My local store sells really, really big sacks of frozen corn for a resonable price. I've used it before and know it be good and taste fine. I can get those and can them up? I've never thought about that before. I would think that if they are going to be stored for a while they may even taste better having been canned than sitting in the freezer forever. We go through alot of green beans. I would love to be able to do that with those as well.

Quote:
I'm wondering if I would have a problem with it falling through the holes in my dehyrator trays? Also, do you just put the frozen corn on the trays and let it rip or do you have to thaw out and/or cook it a bit first?

Bluegrassmom,
You would need to use the screen that you use for fruit roll-ups or devise your own out of parchment paper. Or, simply use the oven method along with a cookie sheet. The corn would definitely need to be thawed out before dehydrating. And personally, I would blanch it first. I blanch all of my vegetables that I didn't grow myself before dehydrating them. Just to kill whatever might be on them.
Originally Posted By: bluegrassmom
I dehydrate alot of potatoes and I know how long to blanch them. How long would I blanch corn & green beans? I would think it would not be as long as potatoes.

I looked it up in my "Stocking Up III" book for dehydrating. It says 10 minutes for corn and 6 minutes for green beans.

Q

You are welcome.

Well, today I read an article on food prices. Seems things may become harder as the days go by to make ends meet.

So, I figure the more people who have these bits of information, the better.

I don't want to sound "doom and gloom" at all. We all want to save money and also I want to have good, healthy food for my family. I think it is fun, too. I especially like homemade fruit roll ups. The dehydrator is a great way to save all sorts of things.

Anyway, in case any of you want to read the article :

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/f...od-prices_N.htm

I've done this many times...I haven't read all the replies, but what I do is this: I take the frozen corn and pour it into a colander that is sitting in a pot of almost boiling water. In a few minutes the corn is defrosted. Then I spoon the corn into the jars, add 1 t of salt per qt, and can as I would fresh cut corn.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought you might benefit from my "little brainstorm". A few years ago when I first started dehydrating food, I came up with the problem of the itty, bitty pieces falling through the cracks in the dehydrator trays. My solution was to go to Walmart fabric department and buy "net" material and cut to fit on the trays. Works just fine...when I am through, I just put all the net circles in a big bowl and wash them. I usually just stack them on the counter and wait for them to dry....they're ready for the next time.

Archived