MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

homemade crackers

As requested elsewhere, here is the cracker recipe I've been using

4 cups flour (i used whole wheat)

1 t baking powder

3/4 lard/shortening (i used coconut oil)

1 1/3 c milk

Mix together well. Roll out very very thin. Place on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt as desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until crispy.

Variations:

I've also put some melted butter on the top (similar to a ritz cracker) before sprinkling with salt.

I've been thinking about adding some shredded cheese to the dough for a cheezy cracker, but haven't tried it yet.

Another variation I've been considering is sprinkling ranch dressing mix (can use homemade mix) on the top for ranchy cracker.

• Like 1

And for those who need a wheat-free cracker, may I submit my own creation, Judy's Fabulous Flaxseed Crackers? These crackers taste great topped with cream cheese and sundried tomatoes.

Judy's Fabulous Flaxseed Crackers

1/4 cup soy flour

1/4 cup flax seed meal

1/4 cup whole flax seed

1/2 cup oat flour (those who need this gluten free, substitute brown rice flour)

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup water

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2.Mix all dry ingredients

3. Cut margarine or butter into dry ingredients. Add honey and water. Continue cutting dough until it forms a ball

4. Lightly dust cutting board or rolling surface with rice flour, roll dough until 1/4 inch thick.

5. Using a one inch cookie cutter, cut crackers. (I use round and square ones) Place on a preheated pizza stone or lightly greased cookie sheet. Prick crackers with a fork and bake 10 minutes or until browned. Note: the crackers will brown quickly.

*I didn't name these crackers, BTW. This recipe was published in an allergy magazine and they called it this, LOL They ARE really good and my family snarfs these down.

The "secret" to not having your crackers come out too hard is to think of them as a type of pie crust and don't over mix or over roll them. Also, you can experiment with different types of shortening. I find that oils tend to make a denser cracker and that solid shortenings makes them flakier. Also keep an eye on the baking times. It's hard at first to make a cracker that's crisp without having it become hardtack! Like anything else, the more you make, the more experienced you will become at knowing how the dough behaves and then you can tweak it.

I made the flax seed cracker recipe by looking at a traidtional cracker recipe and coming up with my own mix of flours that I can have and that tastes good. I'm not gluten intolerant so I use the oat flour in mine. But really, if you kept the same ratio of shortening to flour, you can substitute just about any kind of flour in a cracker recipe.

You can experiement with mixing in such items as parmesian cheese, dried onions, dehydrated veggies, and make all kinds of gourmet crackers.

The funny thing is, if I had not developed wheat allergies, I would never have needed to know how to make my own crackers. It's one of those silver lining things--cuz my family loves home made crackers now AND it's a good thing to know how to do>

thanks again. That's good information. I tucked it away with the recipe. Rather, I wrote it on the recipe. I'm hoping to make them soon so left the recipe on the refrig. grin

bighug

LOL same here Mama Tiger. I put them into a snapware container but they don't last long at all. You really can't store crackers long term. That's why you should know how to make 'em!! (well...unless you are ARE making hardtack like they had in the Civil War)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I tried this cracker recipe tonight by mamatiger and I added 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese to the dough to try a cheez-it type cracker. Before putting in the oven I put butter and salt on the top. It worked out great! They actually taste like cheese crackers,,, it even passed my husband's taste test! I turned them after 10 minutes of cooking and let them cook 5 more minutes. I also scored them into bite size pieces before baking.

Thank you so much for posting your recipe!

Homemade Crackers

Makes approximately 10 dozen crackers

These crackers are wonderful by themselves as a snack, or served

with any kind of dip or spread (such as salsa, hummus, cheese, etc.)

4 Cups flour

1 Tsp salt

1-1/2 Tbsp shortening

2 Cups warm water

Assorted toppings suggestions: poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic salt,

cracked pepper, Parmesan cheese, sauteed garlic and onion chopped up,

or whatever else you can think of.

In a food processor, place flour, salt and shortening. Process 15

seconds, until evenly mixed. (If you don't have a food processor,

it can be mixed as you would pastry dough).

While the processor is running, slowly add the warm water through the

opening in the top. Only add enough water until the dough forms one

large ball, then process 15 seconds longer. Dough should not stick to

your finger when touched. Additional flour or water can be added and

processed for a few seconds to achieve desired consistency. Now process

for one minute more.

Take dough out of processor and knead for one minute on a floured board.

Cover dough with cellophane and let rest for 30 to 60 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees and have several cookie sheet baking pans

ready. Cut dough into10 equal-sized pieces. Take one ball at a time

(leaving the others covered), and on a lightly floured board, roll out

dough to as thin and as even as you can make it.

Lift carefully onto the cookie sheet and sprinkle with any one or

combination of the toppings. Prick holes in dough with a fork every

couple of inches to facilitate even cooking. With a pizza cutter, cut

dough into squares or rectangles of approximate 2 inch sizes. Spray

dough lightly with water and place in oven.

• 13 years later...