MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

burns

zzelle

i was making supper tonite and our little girl who is two was standing beside me on her bucket and she touched one of the knobs on the stove and said hot i told her not to touch very hot she laughed and said mommy not hot but i told her the stove was very hot mommy is making supper i tell her not to touch anything mommy is going to pour the noodles out i hear her scream mommy hot i yell at hubby i think sissy is burned i put down pot chase after her she is screamimg and crying she has burns on her first three fingers she is doing better we put burn cream on and gave her so med. and i rocked her to sleep and i cried for her i hope you can understand all my jibber. thanks for listening

Oh, Sweetie, I'm SOOOO sorry! I'm praying she'll be ok, and quickly.

Unfortunately she had to learn this one the hard way. mecry

Watch and make sure infection doesn't set in... if it does, get her to the doctor right away.

You did what you could, Mommy... and I know it hurts you, but she'll listen next time.

bighug

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

I'm so sorry she got burned. Sometimes they do have to learn the hard way. frown

Even as they get older, they don't stop to think and touch the stove, maybe not on the burner, but even close it is hot.

I didn't let our kids stand on anything but a chair and it was back away far enough they would not be able to reach the stove.

Please give her an extra bighug for me.

HUGS10-1.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

• 1 month later...

My mom created my 'island' in the kitchen, it was a kitchen stool where I was to be, AWAY from the stove. It was high enough I could see and I had a portion of the counter as well, but the rules were firm, I couldn't leave my 'island' unless I had to go to the bathroom or leave the kitchen. smile The rule worked with my cat....maybe just maybe it could work with a little kiddo. smile

My love to you and your daughter. Sometimes lessons are learned the hard way.

I'm so sorry for your little one and you. We went through the exact same thing three weeks ago with our two year old. She was "helping" me make dinner and instead of putting the ingredient I had asked for on the counter, she decided the stove would be the best place. She rested her hand down next to the hot burner for a second (it's a ceramic topped stove so the whole area was hot) and wound up with blisters on her fingers. I felt like the worst mother in the world, even though everyone at work has had a child burn themselves in the kitchen.

Two year olds heal fast (she healed in a week) but Mommy's memory of it doesn't! She has learned what "hot" means though. She even tells me now "Hot, Mommy. Careful, hot. Don't touch."

Ohhh..ouch. Guess we have to learn that lesson the hard way, huh? Just a note...best thing for burns is cold water ! Letting the burn soak in cold water before using burn lotion is best thing...hope you did that. I am always burning myself somehow and know firsthand this works! (When our dd was 2, she had to be taught to stay away from the woodstove. We told her never put your hands on it....so far so good. THEN, she took a plastic shovel and put that on it instead...melted everywhere, LOL)

Archived