MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Jalapenos and other peppers

Well, my garden is doing pretty well. The peppers are doing much better than I expected. We have a few Keystone bell peppers coming in. Also a couple Ancho Grande peppers. But the big producer so far seems to be the jalapeno peppers. I had no idea how many peppers these plants could produce. I have over a dozen jalapeno peppers that are over about 1/2 inch long.

Now we will mix up some salsa. I'll make up some hot sauce. I also plan on trying to make some chipotles. But what else can I do with jalapeno peppers?

Originally Posted By: MommaDogs
Molly, How did you smoke them? Details, please. smile

Not a whole lot of details. LOL My DH LOVES to smoke our Turkeys...so we have a "smoker". The type that are sold in the grill section of the store.

He did some with hickory and some with mesquite. After about two hours, he would check them to see how they were. I do not remember how long they took... just until he liked them. LOL

Then we brought them in and put them in the dehydrator to make sure we got all the liquid from them.

I have them stored in a glass jar (well, multiple jars!). I put some in with the garlic I pickled, and also ground some up to make our own smoked pepper powder.

It's nice in chilis and on nachos. :-)
Originally Posted By: MommaDogs
Molly, How did you smoke them? Details, please. smile

Sigh. My initial reaction tends to indicate I am hanging out with the wrong people.

Oh, that sounds good, Molly.

I have been dying to try the traditional method of smoking over an open fire with mesquite and I was hoping you had done it that way. There's just nothing like true, traditional chipotle. I've read that it takes 2-4 days to do it properly. They keep it at a low heat to smoke it. I'm big into the native ways. smile

But, smokers are good also. Labor saving is always good, my DH prefers modern conveniences.

I'm going to try to smoke them until dried. As MommaDogs said, this will take 2+ days of smoking. I will most likely cut them in half, this should cut the smoking time down a bit. Of course that means I have to get a smoker. I've thought of doing it in a couple of cardboard boxes, but that will only be if I decide to smoke them a while and then dehydrate them.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived