MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

purchasing lids?

hopegrows

I was just coming here to ask a similar question. I've found a few places on-line that are under $2, but the last time I bought lids (a couple-three years ago), I only paid $1.

So in addition to Hopegrows' question, I would add:

What are y'all paying for lids/flats (no bands)?

thanks

I can get wide mouth lids at the local bulk foods store really cheap, but I do not have that many wide mouth jars, I have the regular ones the most.

Last year when I tried to buy them at Walmart I asked an employee where the canning lids were. She had to find another employee becasue she didn't know what canning even was!!!!

I have been getting them Fred's Discount Store for $1.00 for 12 regular or wide mouth but they only have them seasonally. One of the stores still is getting some and they apparently will order if someone wants a large quantity but I have been in a couple of their stores that were out of everything.

Fred's is a store chain out of Memphis, TN. I don't know how far they go.

They are out of stock now, but I hit the dollar stores earlier this season and scooped them up for $1 per dozen, both sizes. The local grocer still has some, but they are $1.99.

I haven't been to Walmart in a while.

I have my lids stored in a meal-size plastic container with a snap-on lid, tucked into a dark closet. I'm hoping that will keep them good longer.

Any thoughts on storing extra lids when we can get them?

• 5 months later...

I was in a Fred's in Southaven, Ms today and they had their canning jars and lids. The pint jars were $6.49/dozen, regular lids were $1.00 and regular bands and lids were $2.00. I will be going back to get some lids. I have just been given some more jars. I didn't see any lids or bands and lids for wide mouth jars but the Fred's usually have them for pretty close to the same price.

I thought this post title was "Purchasing Kids"... :) I get mine (lids! not kids.) from Harris Teeter or Shopper's Food Warehouse. HT is actually cheaper for the lids, but SFW is cheaper for the jars. Not a wild difference, but some.

Archived