MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Does anyone use a vehicle for dehydrating?

I've heard that an-almost-closed-up-vehicle can be used for dehydrating food. Here in AZ, the humidity is usually quite low, and the temp inside can get reach 150F...often a little higher. Carla's Encyclopedia of Country Living makes a brief reference to being able to do this, so I'm trying to find out if anyone has used this method.

Often times, when I get 'green waste' from a local grocer, there is often some still usable (but perhaps ugly) fruit that I'd sure like to dry or make fruit leather from.

Free fruit, free solar dehydrating...win/win!

:)

You can make melon balls and freeze them. I believe in the Ball Blue Book there is instructions on this. (at least it used to be in the old one) They are just fine frozen and can even be used this way in fruit drinks--like ice cubes and then when you finish the drink they are thawed out and mushy enough to eat.)

I have not dried food in the car but a friend of mine did. She dried blueberries on small trays put on the windshield dash and in the back window. She had cracked the windows for a little air to let the humidity out of the car--and the entire car filled up with fruit flies!

Originally Posted By: DonsCountryGal

I've heard that an-almost-closed-up-vehicle can be used for dehydrating food. Here in AZ, the humidity is usually quite low, and the temp inside can get reach 150F...often a little higher. Carla's <span style="font-style: italic">Encyclopedia of Country Living</span> makes a brief reference to being able to do this, so I'm trying to find out if anyone has used this method.

Often times, when I get 'green waste' from a local grocer, there is often some still usable (but perhaps ugly) fruit that I'd sure like to dry or make fruit leather from.

Free fruit, free solar dehydrating...win/win!

:)

Done it with peas before, never fruit.

I have some fine mesh screen I'd place over the window openings that, hopefully, will keep out the fruit flys. May put one of my fruit fly traps near the windows (outside) as well.

Apples are a good price this week...may give it a try.

• 5 months later...

I thought I'd updated this thread after I dried a big grid of sliced bananas...guess not!

So, here 'tis...

I cut each peeled banana in half, then lengthwise into three long slices. Looking back, I probably should have sprayed the grid with an anti-stick spray. I lay each slice without touching the others to allow for air circulation.

I'd placed a couple of 2x4s from the truck's bench seatback over to the dash. The try is placed on these supports. Since our nights were really pretty cool, I prepared the bananas on the grid the night before and placed them in the truck. Temp stayed around 45-50. I cracked the window just a slivers-worth, and shut the door.

I left them in there for the entire next day, during which the interior temp maintained a steady 125 degrees.

As we walked past the truck, we could smell the sweetness of the drying bananas!

In the evening, I used a small spatula to peel the dried fruit off. It was still quite pliable, but dry. They were bagged up in loose clusters without 'packing' them in. We munched on them for quite a few weeks...my grandson really liked them! They never went bad or got moldy during that time. Very sweet and chewy! I'd offered some to a co-worker who said he liked them better than store-bought which a usually hard.

I still haven't done apples yet, but perhaps soon. My little peach tree has begun to burst with a LOT of little pink flowers! Last year was the first year it produced and they were the best freestone peaches we've ever had! Hopefully, this time, some may make it to the 'dehydrator' before they all get eaten!

Anyhow...been working steady since late October, so haven't had much chance to offer any input on MrsS. I'm glad to have the work, but I sure miss daily browsing in the forums here!

Darlene...nice upgrade on the website! I'm still finding my way around, but it's well-done!

:bouquet:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm, considering curing my sweet potatoes in the car this fall.

They need to be cured in a humid 85 degree spot in order to toughen up for long storage. Where else can I do that in October in Virginia? I figure I can put wet towls over them or something.

• 3 months later...

Archived