MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Halloween Cakes

ol'momma

I'm not really sure where to put this, but since the Sunporch is the place to gather and pass along casual news, this seems like the best spot.

I just finished decorating two cakes for my son's school party tomorrow. I'll add a plastic spider to the mouth area on the mummy just before it gets devored.

And for the teacher who wants only 'healthy' snacks at the Halloween party...I'm taking Westy's advice and bringing along a can of spinach. wink

1323-100_5738.jpg

1324-100_5746.jpg

Nice solution for the knees on the spider legs.

Spiders knees were just Tootsie Rolls heated in the microwave for a few seconds to make them pliable. Once they cool down, they stiffen back up.

I used fruit chews to make it's nose and the eyes on the mummy in the same fashion. The licorice was too bendy for the legs, so I actually had to put sucker sticks inside of them so they'd stand up. The feet ate circus peanuts and the eys are Skittles.

In all the years I've known this lady, she has never backed away from any special cake request her kids have come up with, same for quilts ( Son # 1 has some I'd have nightmares trying to sleep under...strange kid...) or hollowinnie costumes..she just nods and go's to work...and always delievers...

She's a good mommy, I call her "Earth Mommy" she don't like that.. roflrofl

I gotta share this...She decided because she got drafted to make the punch she would make a frozen hand to float in it..so she filled a rubber glove with water and put it in the freezer...when she took it out lo and behold...the trigger finger as well as the ring and pinky fingers had bent under leaving the Fkying fickle finger of fate standing bravely alone... roflroflrofl She felt it might not be a good thing to use it, I on the other hand liked it!!!! grin

What fun! My mom used to do stuff like this for my classes all the time when I was a kid. We had duckling cupcakes at easter, a bear at christmas, harvest cookies and holiday cupcakes.

Of most memory is our "harvest cookies". We would take a sugar cookie, cut it in a circle or like a turkey. We would frost them and use choc chips for eyes, a raisin for the nose and candy corns for teeth. For the the turkeys, we would use a chip for the eyes, a raisin for the waddle and candy corn for the feathers.

They were pretty as well as tasty!

However, Oregon being the @#*$#&$^& liberal state it is changed the law to only "store bought" goodies. Seriously...some kid in the early 80's got sick or Ecoli or something and the media made a big deal of it. At least it is this way in Portland....maybe Shurleen can enlighten us to other cities.

In WA, no such law. grin Now to adopt someone's kids and make fun stuff like this.

I thawed out my 'hand' and re-froze it in a more friendly pose. In the end, it didn't matter anyway because all the fingers broke off when I tried to take off hte glove. *shucks* Guess the kids will just have free- floating fingers in their punch.

I did daycare in a much larger town years ago. We had 3 kindergarteners in the same school, and they all were out sick the day after Halloween.

Instead of T-or-Ting, their parents thought they would be safer going to the school's evening party. Well,... some creep made home-made taffy and laced it with perscription anti-depressants, then managed to put it on the goody table in the school gym. One kid ended up in the hospital!!

So, Yeah, I do understand why so many schools have banned home-made treats! I'm just really glad it hasn't happened here YET. When it does, I guess we'll just have parties here at home so I can go on spoiling the kidlets with their wacky treats.

WELL??????

how did the kids like the cakes? how did the teacher like her spinach? ROFL!!!

bet she age cake! or was that "let them eat cake"?

The party was a rousing success. The kids guzzled up their swamp slime and munched on Mummy like no tomorrow. Bre'r Bar headed up the toss game and got beaned in the beak ...rofl. The teacher's Dh brought their 6month old daughter; A very sweet natured and happy baby. They shared a piece of cake. I relented and left the spinach on the grocery store shelf...

Now I am off to set my couldron on to boil. There's Eyeball Soup to brew! Bwahahhahahh

Originally Posted By: Trip
I gotta share this...She decided because she got drafted to make the punch she would make a frozen hand to float in it..so she filled a rubber glove with water and put it in the freezer...when she took it out lo and behold...the trigger finger as well as the ring and pinky fingers had bent under leaving the Fkying fickle finger of fate standing bravely alone... roflroflrofl She felt it might not be a good thing to use it, I on the other hand liked it!!!! grin

rofl tears are streaming down the face!!!

Hint -- tape works wonders. Don't ask...lets just say someone near and dear wanted the ice sculpture you got by mistake

Archived