MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Breakfast recipes

I've been prepping for about a year now and have been looking for ways to save money so I can put it towards prepping. One way is bringing breakfast and lunch to work. Lunch tends to be leftovers. But breakfast is proving to be a little harder.

One thing I figure would work are healthy muffins. So if anyone have any really healthy muffin recipes, please share.

Any other suggestions for tasty, filling, healthy breakfasts that I can take to work?

a styrafoam cup filled with cerial, milk in a mini thermos, fruit if you like, and eat at work.....

However if you want muffins, I'll look at some other recipies what are bulky & healthy

HEALTHY FRUIT MUFFINS

1 c. whole wheat flour

1 c. all-purpose flour

1/2 c. granulated sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 c. vegetable oil

1/2 c. mashed, ripe banana

1 egg

1 c. chopped dates

1 apple, pared, cored and chopped

1/2 c. walnuts, chopped

Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In another bowl mix buttermilk, oil, banana and egg. Add dates, nuts and apply to dry ingredients. Mix liquids into dry ingredients until blended.

Bake 400 15 to 18 min.

you can keep a muffin batter in the fridg and use as needed!

Egg Muffin

1 serving

2 eggs

1 teaspoon of Heavy Cream

2 Tablespoons of Grated cheddar cheese (or less)

2 strips of bacon diced, 1 slice of ham diced, or 2 sausages sliced - or less or none at all

Optional:

green onions

bell pepper

zucchini

In a Large Muffin Tin (like the ones used for Bran Muffins, Wal-Mart now sells them) or if you are using a standard cupcake size( use one egg and half the rest of the ingredients), oil (olive) pan or spray pan with pam.

Crack eggs into a mixing cup and add cream, beat together and pour into muffin tin. Add the cheese, meat and anything else to the muffin tin. Don't worry about mixing it in, it will work itself out.

Bake at 350^ for 45 minutes to an hour (in my oven it takes an hour) or until golden brown.

If you would like to make these up to eat all week long...Let cool, wrap and either freezer or place in refrigerator. They do fine for a week in the refrigerator. They can be eaten cold or reheated in the microwave.

Since I am counting Carbs, I crack 2 eggs and add cream for each muffin tin rather then cracking 1 dozen eggs and pouring equal amounts, which I never seam to be able to do.

2 eggs = 1. 2 carbs

2 T Cheddar Cheese = 0.2

Olive Oil = 0

1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream = 0.2

1 Bacon = 0

1 slice ham = 0

1 link sausage = 1.0

So each muffin can have as little as 1.6 carbs - 2.6 carbs if you use bacon. If you add onion, bell pepper or zucchini the carbs of course will increase.

Enjoy

6 Week Bran Muffins

1 c. boiling water

3 c. all bran cereal (I just use wheat bran)

1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted

1 1/2 c. sugar

2 eggs

2 1/2 c. unsifted all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking soda

2 c. buttermilk or sour milk (can use reconstituted

buttermilk or 1 c. milk + 1 tsp. lemon juice or vinegar)

Pour boiling water over bran. Add butter. Stir in sugar and eggs; beat well. Blend in flour, soda and buttermilk. Store batter in airtight container (I use gallon ice cream pail) for up to six weeks. Add more milk as necessary to achieve proper muffin batter consistency. Leave some headroom for the batter to grow or you'll have a mess.

Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, or put in paper-lined microwave muffin cups and nuke until no doughy spots remain. Depending on microwave power, these are approximate

times: 6 muffins- 2 min 15 sec., 4 muffins - 2 min, 2 muffins - 1 min 45 sec. If batter is refrigerated, add about 15 sec. to cooking time. Makes 40 - 48 muffins.

--------

Recipe courtesy of Sarah Maxwell at -

http://openforums.titus2.com/module/forums/f/Recipes/

Do you have access to a microwave? I've fixed and frozen scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes and waffles. After scrambling eggs I freeze them in serving amounts as flat as I can get them since they take longer to warm up than anything else. Everything else is frozen in bags of each thing, pancakes in one bag, waffles in another, etc. When I'm not around to fix breakfast DH takes out what he's in the mood for, microwaves it about 2 mins. and eats.

Thanks for the recipes so far. I'm going to try the bran muffin recipe. I may also try the egg muffins. The fruit muffins are out because I can't eat bananas. I don't think I'm allergic, but even the smell makes me nauseous.

I'll add one that I've been meaning to try.

Steel cut oats in a thermos.

1/4 cup steel cut oats

1 cup boiling water

1 wide mouth thermos

The night before, preheat thermos by filling with really hot water. Boil the water and stir in the oats and a pinch of salt. Empty the thermos and refill with the water and oats. Seal the thermos and lay it on its side. Go to bed.

In the morning, the oats are cooked perfectly.

Breakfast biscuits

Simply cook a batch of biscuits, slice in half. Fill with half an egg cooked similiar to an omelet and folded to fit the biscuit. Can add sausage patty or 2 half slices of bacon or piece of ham and top with cheese. Freeze if wanted. To cook simply split the top biscuit half off and put in oven for 15 min or pop into microwave.

Fritz, you can "cook" many things in a thermos the same way you cook steel cut oats. Wheat, rice, rolled oats, grits, cornmeal, and most any other grain works nicely. Add raisins, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, and etc.

I especially like rolled oats cooked with chicken broth instead of water for a savory meal instead of sweet. I add a sprinkling of grated cheese just before serving.

Another breakfast is to make Scrapple or Pon Haus, which is a Pennsylvania Dutch recipe that combines meat (traditionally pork), broth, and cornmeal to form a sort of very thick mush. The original recipes were made during butchering time to use up the odd bits and pieces of meat but there are a lot of easy recipes online that use ground pork. Some call for chopped liver. Here is my recipe.

Scrapple

Brown two pounds of ground pork with chopped onions and peppers in a large pan.

Add salt, pepper and poultry seasonings to taste. (sage, mace, coriander, thyme and sweet marjoram)

Crumble it all fine and add two quarts of water. Bring the meat and water to a boil and simmer fifteen minutes. Then very slowly add in about three cups of yellow corn meal (can use grits or oatmeal or a combination).

Using lowest heat possible simmer, stirring constantly until very well cooked and water is absorbed, maybe twenty minutes or a half hour. This will be very thick and it scorches easily so watch it. Pour it into two greased loaf pans, pressing firmly. Tap the pans a couple of time on the counter to make sure there’s no bubbles in the mixture.

Refrigerate overnight. Remove loaf from pan and slice about a half inch thick. Dredge slices in flour and fry lightly in bacon grease, lard or oil until golden brown. Drain well and serve as is or cool and put between waxed paper and freeze. Warm in an oven, pan, or microwave.

I like it just plain and even cold but normally it is served with syrup, gravy, or just butter.

I also make an instant oatmeal mix using quick oats, oat flour, and extras like dried fruit bits, nuts, brown sugar and spices. I make up an ice cream bucket full at a time and use as needed or put it in individual serving sized zip lock bags. You just have to add boiling water and stir just like commercial ones or you can make it in a bowl in the microwave in one minute or less. I use to keep these packets in my desk at work along with disposable bowls and use them as a quick breakfast or even lunch.

Instant oatmeal

One cup of quick oats, ground to a coarse flour in a blender

Five cups of non ground quick oats

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup, more or less, chopped dried fruit, nuts, chocolate or other chips, or ? for variety.

Add sugar to taste, about 1/2 to 1 cup using brown, white, date, maple, or ?

Add 1 tablespoon cinnamon or less of other spices

(dates with maple sugar and cinnamon is my favorite)

Mix well and store in air tight container. Use 3/4 cup mix to 1 cup boiling water (depending on thickness desired). Stir well and let set a few minutes. Or add cold water to mix in a bowl in the microwave and cook approx. one minute.

Thanks for the thread Fritz. I'm always looking for quick breakfast recipes.

bighug

Archived