MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A Newbie Like Me Gets Started Gathering Canner and Supplies

sassenach

dancinghappy02

I finally got into the order processing page and ordered a 16qt Presto Canner, can lifter and the jar funnel, pickling supplies too.

I plan to can up some meat when it gets here.

I will pick up jars locally if they are available at the hardware store.

I felt the smaller canner might be better for me because I have a small stove and a cupboard that really is right over it. {Also a small kitchen and cupboards to store the stuff in.}

For starting out and just myself to feed, I think it is going to work out well for me.

I also ordered the new Blue Book and another canning book from Amazon with the Christmas money my son sent me. ( He is such a sweetie!)

I also talked to my dad ( last night ) and he said to me he grew up canning. I am so hoping this will open up thoughts of him coming to the Southeast where my son lives at least. The cold up here would be too much for him, and I know they get along really well. Eventually I hope he will do that, so that we can better care for him as he is in his mid 70's and I know he is really struggling.

He could certainly still travel, but both my DS and I would like to provide a better home base for him where we can be together, as my DS wants me down there too eventually. ( Its probably a 3 or 4 yr. plan for me to move once they settle completely, probably east TX or NC near Camp Lejeune. )

Maybe todays convo on the phone will open that door of thought.

I am so glad I was able to purchase the canner so I can get started and learn all kinds of recipes and such. Everyone here posts such awesome recipes. It really is amazing what variety comes from simple choices. And quite simply, canning is a wise prep!

Take care!

Arby!! Congrats on the canner! I'm excited for you, because you will truly enjoy the results of your work. There is a book out there called "Small Batch Preserving" http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Small-...d/dp/1554072565

This book is designed for those who don't have large amounts to do at once. You might find it useful.

looking forward to your posts in "What are you canning today?" Whoooheee!

I am totally GREEN with envy. That is the very next thing on my list of things to get for my family!

Update: Evidently they ran out of the Presto Canner in stock before they got to my order, so the site emailed me and asked if I wanted to call and cancel the order.

Well, it was the best cost I could find anywhere on the net, up to 50$ off of amazon.com's price, and they could probably fill the order in about 14 days. I have the meat in the freezer so I can save that as long as possible or just get more for canning as the canner would then be delivered around my next payday date in early February.

(At least all my knitting books and supplies should be coming in as everything has shipped, so that will keep me busy with some new skill building after the needles arrive, as I did pick up a good knit stitches book that has basic knitting skills in it and I found it was easy to understand the pictures and instructions. I also have plenty of yarn I can start using since I was able to buy it at Michaels and one multi colored skein at Walmart on Monday when I went shopping for groceries and such things.)

I hope to order a round nesco dehydrator next month as well, if I can find them in stock online at that time. Will get jars too, as I go. I can usually get them at the hardware store as they do not charge shipping or not much since they get things in bulk orders. It is just really slippery walking down that hill right now.... everything else I basically need is being shipped. Including pickling supplies.

I did make some hamburger rocks yesterday.

Arby,

Wish I had known about your canner the other day. I was in a store and they had a brand new 23 qt. Presto marked down to $60. I could have shipped it to you. Shipping runs about $25, as I have shipped them before.

Sorry you have to wait for yours. I know you are excited to get it.

It will probably be around the first week of February, hopefully at the latest of delivery dates as I am tracking other things and they are moving alot faster than I thought they would. Perhaps the knitting needles and books will make it here by tomorrow or Saturday, guess its going by Post Office. I just checked the tracking.

• 1 month later...

I didn't want to waste space here on the board with this question so I posted it here.

My local hardware store has wide mouth quart canning jars for $13.99 a dozen and the wide mouth pint jars are $13.49.

Is that a good price?

I have no idea, thats why I'm asking. It's the only place I've checked so far, and I just wanted an idea of prices.

My Harris Teeter (chain grocery) sells wide mouth quarts jars for about $9.50 and wide mouth pints for about $7.75. This is rough, they are both definitely under $10.00. Last time I looked they were, at least, I just get the regular mouth as they are less expensive. I'll be going Sunday or Monday, I can check again. The local non chain hardware store was over $10.00, I think into $12? I don't get the jars there anymore.

thanx! I plan on stopping at a Mennonite bulk food store and checking their prices. Theres also an Amish store in the same end of town, so I'll check there too.

I just wanted to start to stock up. I also need to get a jar lifter ( thats what I call it LOL)

My local bulk store raising their prices and are getting quite close to $10/case for canning jars. I cringe seeing that and have been avoiding them as much as possible. I have been getting used jars from a woman who is retiring from her major canning and has been selling them to me for $3.00/dozen.

I used to be able to get jars at garage sales almost every month for next to nothing, but not any more. Times have changed.

Archived