MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 5

Cat

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I canned 3 pints and 1 half pint of blueberry jam. I don't know if I like making jam. 2 hours, much of it babysitting the jam mix as I waited for it to reach 220 degrees. B-O-R-I-N-G. And all I have for it is 3.5 pints.

I'm spoiled by how simple it is to can meat (and veg, kind of). Stick the meat in the jar, seal it up, listen for the jiggle, and you've got 18 pints. :)

Josephine,

That is why I like to use commercial pectin. That, and I have to have sugar free. I use Pomona's Universal pectin for my sugar free jams and jellies. I do use some Sure Jel for my husband's grape jelly , as this is how he prefers it.

With the pectin you get a higher yield from your fruit, plus it is quick.

I get to post again YAY!!! Today I canned 8 pints of garlic pickles! :canning: And everyone sealed so I'm a happy canner. This whole canning thing is a huge trip down memory lane for me since I canned with my Mom for 20 + years and now that she is gone I am doing everything on my own. It's not quite the same, but I think Mom's up there helping me remember stuff. She and I used to can 20 or 30 quarts of dill pickles each summer and my job was to pack the pickles in the jar. She used to say I was the best pickle packer in the East. She always acted amazed at how fast and many pickles I could sqeeze in those jars. Now I know why. There are a lot of those little buggers to get in there! I look so forward to opening up a jar of my very first all made by me pickles. I hope they are as good as Mom's were. :)

Archived