MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 5

Cat

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I canned 14 quarts of white beans today. I didn't have ham to put in them so I used a picnic shoulder I bought for 1/2 price yesterday. I have about 5 quarts left over that we will eat on and then freeze the rest. The beans don't havr that "ham" taste but they are still yummy.

:wormie2:

John

Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate

Makes about 7 (16 oz) pints

You will need:

6 cups hulled strawberries

4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice

6 cups granulated sugar

Directions:

1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready to use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

2.)PURÉE strawberries in a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade, working in batches, until smooth. Transfer to a large stainless steel saucepan as completed.

3.) ADD lemon juice and sugar to strawberry puree, stirring to combine. Heat to 190° F over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Do not boil. Remove from heat and skim off foam.

4.) LADLE hot concentrate into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.

5.) PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

I went for a bike ride on a huge (multi-county) bike trail last Friday, and I brought a foraging container with me. I ended up with enough black raspberries for five half pints of seedless BR jam, plus four pints of berries for cobbler. I'm going back out there this Friday. With as far as I went, it's a nice six-mile ride, with plenty of stops for berry picking. I saw loads of elderberries and blackberries out there too.

And can I just say I LOVE the current color scheme! Yeow! :D

I'm at my oldest daughter's house and canned 7 pints of chicken breasts, for her family. I was planning on canning some chicken, that came in her Angel Food boxes, but it had a very light, flour coating. She was so disappointed and had already defrosted it. I washed all the coating off, then boiled the chicken, and divided it into 6 plastic containers and threw it in the freezer. She also, had some small, boneless, chicken breast pieces, that came in a plastic "roll." That chicken was such poor quality and had a lot of fat on it. The chicken, tenders, I washed, boiled, and froze, were very decent, but the other was awful...So if you order from Angel Foods, beware....My daughter says, that most of the food is great.

I can sympathize, Wormguy! My chicks and I did 7 boxes, a couple weeks ago. What a mess peaches are!~ I'd do chicken any day, over peaches, or tomatoes, or applesauce.....All an icky mess! Although those jars, sure do look pretty, once they are done, and the mess is chiseled away. Good luck! I sure felt sorry for you yesterday! That's the way things go around here and always, in the middle of a big canning day.

Violet thanks for posting the strawberry lemonade recipe...I just saw now that it was requested...

Today...I canned 10 pints of peas.

I scored Blueberries at Sam's yesterday (they don't grow here, so we haveta settle fer inports) and am making Jam today.

My Neighbor lady suppliments her income doing lawn care during the summer. One of her clients pays for her weed-eating services with fresh eggs from her free-range hens. Neighborgal always gets more then she can use, so she shares with me.

Today she showed up at my door with 3 doz eggs and announced that she was here to trade. She said she "could smell my efforts in the kitchen clear across the street -- And whatever that is, I want some!"

What do ya think...is a pint of jam worth a few fresh eggs? :24:

This weekend, I did 28 pints of sweet cherries, 24 pints of sour pie cherries, and 12 1/2 pints of rhubarb sauce.

I still have raspberry pulp to make into jam. Perhaps tomorrow.

:woohoo: I'm so excite!!! I finally get to post on this thread.... :woohoo:

I am canning salsa. I have more than 4 ice cream buckets full and more to pick tommorrow.

I am soooooo excited! Last night I used our new pressure canner to can 5 quarts and 1pt of roast and 7 pints of chicken! It was my first time doing it all by myself! I am giddy like a child that just learned to tie shoes. They all turned out perfect. (I was digging around in here for info before I did it). I think I'm addicted to canning. I was already looking to see what else I could can and what deals the grocery store had!

Congrats on breaking in your new canner!!!

Today I made cherry jam, a recipe from the 125th Anniversary Ball Blue Book , the one for bing cherries that has amaretto in it. Really nice, with a little bit of cinnamon and cloves. It is unusual. Also made a batch of regular cherry jam, low sugar.

I made 9 pints of peach jam, 4 quarts of peach pie filling and I am working on a batch of peach pit jelly right now. I have never tried the jelly before, will let you know if it works. you make it by boiling all of the pits and peels to extract the flavor then making a jelly out of the juice. My peaches weren't free stone variety so there was a lot of peach left stuck to the pits. Might as well try to make the most of it.

This weekend, I did 28 pints of sweet cherries, 24 pints of sour pie cherries, and 12 1/2 pints of rhubarb sauce.

I still have raspberry pulp to make into jam. Perhaps tomorrow.

Crazy, how did you pit the sweet cherries? I'm thinking of doing some, but the only way I've pitted before is with a paper clip.

Archived