MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 5

Cat

:) Good evening everyone! Yesterday I was able to can 18 more pints of potatoes (bringing me a total of 54 pints) and today canned 7 quarts of green beans, waiting for them to ping (making that a total of 37 quarts), and in 5 minutes I will be putting 7 quarts more of potatoes in the canner (bringing that a total of 37 quarts). Gave my Sister & Mom the other half bushel of beans to snap & can b/c they havent put any up yet this year and I wanted to spend time with my grandson while his parents took a day to themselves. So I am late getting my canning done today, they didn't pick him up til around 6:00 this evening.

Hope all of you are getting some canning done already. :D

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made 7 more quarts of rhubarb sauce. I like it better than apple sauce and my rhubarb must be sweeter than most people's because I only need to add 1 cup of sugar to 10 cups of rhubarb. I see recipes calling for 1 to 4 or 1 to 8 ratio of sugar to rhubarb, that would be way too sweet for me. Next I will can up some rhubarb juice, it makes a nice summer drink, similar to lemonade. It is a long time till anything else is ready in the garden for canning so the rhubarb gives me a fix for my canning addiction for now. I see ham is on sale now, maybe I will do some of that next. Happy canning to all.

today I canned 7 quarts more of potatoes (total 44 quarts) & 7 quarts more green beans (total 58 quarts). Gave another 7 quarts of beans to Mom & Sis to can for themselves. I was too tired to do any more.

You should also get the Ball Blue Book of Preserving (about $5). Often referred to as the bible for canners. It has a lot of good recipes and indispensable information for beginner canners. There is a brand new book, their 100th Anniversary that has come out. Well worth getting.

Have my :canning: going right now, will be turning off in 5 minutes. Put 4 quarts half & half potato & green beans, 2 quarts only potato & 1 quart just snap beans. Won't have to do anything else with my canner until Monday or Tuesday. Gave Mom & Sis beans and she put 7 quarts up of them and just turned off her canner with 9 pints of potatoes.

I've got 12 pints of ground beef and onions in the canner now. They're just the right size for mixing with a jar of spaghetti sauce (store bought for now, unfortunately) and putting over pasta for dinner.

Skinless, boneless chicken breast are on sale at $1.99 a lb (not as good as the $1.69 they once were), I'll be canning that next.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, guess I am running a bit behind. I put up 6 pts of applesauce and I have a pot of apple butter cooking down in the crockpot to can tomorrow morning. After that, it will be plum jelly.

I have some spaghetti sauce to put up but not much. Any reason why I can't put it in the waterbath canner at the same time as the apple butter and just not take it out as soon? The canner is big enough.

Taking my first shot at strawberry jam today!

me too!!

I made 8 half pints of strawberry jam tonight. Not very impressive, I know.

BUT, it was the first time I've ever canned anything!

The whole house got excited when we'd hear a "ping"!!

woohooo Fine! Heck Ive made jam before... and when I got my canner a few months ago, I tried to make strawberry jam and it didnt jell, so ended up with syrup and stuff for ice cream! So, you did just fine! It was because I had more strawberries altogether , and was too much for the amount of pectin I used as per recipe. Glad it worked for you.

thanks for the congratulations! I keep looking at the jars and think how pretty they look!

arby: I was so afraid of making a mistake that I followed the recipe to exact measures. I did have some extra strawberries too. I figured we'd use them for smoothies or dehydrating and fought the urge to throw the extras in the pot.

I was just pouring over the "for dummies" section at the beginning of the Ball book, thinking the corn relish sounds easy enough. So that may be my fun tomorrow. This could be addicting!

3 half pints & 10 pints of strawberry jam; 6 half pints and 6 pints of strawberry rhubarb jam. Dehydrating Marjoriam, have 2 gallon bags of strawberries (the leftovers from the 5 buckets) in the freezer and a few stalks of rhubarb as well.

Strawnana jam has been a huge hit so I'm going to try and do more this week as well as triple berry jam. Need to start dehydrating strawberries - how many is enough?

Archived