MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 5

Cat

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay, with all of the encouragement, I did the corn relish tonight.

I bought way too much produce because I wasn't sure of the amounts. (I'll dehydrate what I don't use.)

Only 5 pints according to the recipe, but I could've gotten another pint out of the recipe. I tried to make sure there was a balance between the veggies and the solution.

DS wasn't thrilled by the taste of the recipe but I had him help me process it. He seemed to really get it! Another night of cheering when the pings occurred!

Scrubbie, as long as your sauce recipe is safe for water bath processing there is no reason not to process at the same time.

When you say spaghetti sauce, that makes me concerned about doing it in a BWB canner.

Hubby's spaghetti sauce recipe is basically flavored tomato sauce. No fresh garlic, onions, peppers, etc. Tomato sauce, tomato paste, seasonings, sugar.

I did eight 1/2 pints of plum jelly. My first attempt. We'll see how they set up. It was starting to gel before I got it all in jars. I have LOTS more plums so I guess I'll be making more. My Dad and stepmom are coming up next month and some will be going home with them.

Oh, I love plum jelly. The best we ever made were from our ornamental plums. They are edible, too.

You are so blessed to have the plums. How nice of you to make some for your family to take home, too.

Makes me want to fix some toast with jelly. That or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Maybe I will. I still have a snack to eat tonight.

Oh, I love plum jelly. The best we ever made were from our ornamental plums. They are edible, too.

You are so blessed to have the plums. How nice of you to make some for your family to take home, too.

Makes me want to fix some toast with jelly. That or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Maybe I will. I still have a snack to eat tonight.

We have been here 7 years. The tree was already here. This is the first year we have gotten a really good crop. Most years the birds or squirrels take care of them I guess. Anyway, we have picked about 10 gallons so far and the tree still has a lot. They are wild yellow plums. Very tasty. Good barter item.

We also have a apparently well stocked pear tree this year. Canning pears. The first year we were here we picked 4 bushels of pears from it. Broke a few limbs in the process. Looks like this will be another banner year. It was here when we moved in also. In September I will be talking about pear butter and regular and spiced pear jam.

We went strawberry picking on Saturday (15 lbs for $9, woohoo!) so I made strawberry jam when we got home.

Ended up with 20 pints plus a lovely Strawberry Shortcake for dessert. :wub:

I think we're going again next week. :D

Yesterday, i jarred some bread and butter pickles. It was very easy and i will plan to do this to all my cucumbers. Does anyone know the shelf life of pickles?

Shelf life optimum is a year, but after that they are still safe ( as long as properly processed to start with, of course). After that it is a quality issue, not a safety issue. They can get softer over time, things like that.

I didn't do all this tonight but in about 2 weeks I've canned 34 qts of green beans, today 3 qts and 7 pints pickles and tomorrow will be zucchini relish. Kelly

How nice for you ! Have you made any Asian plum sauce ? I used to make it, but since having diabetes I haven't. It is good for dipping chicken strips in.

No haven't tried it but sounds good. I extracted juice from most of the plums that have been picked(we aren't finished yet) and I have two 2-liter bottles and 5 qts of juice. Can you give me the recipe for the Asian plum sauce or tell me where to find it?

12 pints low sugar strawberry jam

7 quarts strawberry lemonade

Hey Ya'll Ive kind apainted myself into a wee bit of a corner, but it was a good sale.

Yesterday I bought 100 lbs of red potatoes, about 90lbs (or more, HUGE bags) of collards, 25-30 lbs of sweet potatos and 30 lbs of pickling cucumbers with the idea I was goign to can can can... but the other money I set aside to PURCHASE said canner went POOF in unexpected expenses. The potatoes will hold for a while (and I am actually wanting to dehydrate at least one bag of those but the collards are limited life once cut. What can I do? I will have new money on monday (at the latest)... should I wait, or just try to freeze and dehydrate them so i dont lose it all?

OH! and if anyone has a collard recipe with ham and onions (stomach rumbles at the thought of them! YUM!) PLEASE share!

I think I have a lead on some cheap rutabagas...anyone ever canned these?

Maranatha!

Monique

Archived