MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 5

Cat

No canning time for me. Have too many other things to do.

Glad you others are, though.

As for the jars left in the canner all night, the food may be spoiled.... there is a heat loving bacteria that can grow if they are left in the canner. It is also possible to get a reverse vaccum and the lid can get permanently sealed on the canner. Then, you have to toss the whole thing. No way to remove the lid. Yes, it really does happen.

Please, for your safety, do not leave jars in the canner overnight.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aof54G, Do let us know how your jars came out. There was a lady in a canning class here who lost a canner and the product because she did the same thing. Her husband tried to open it with a hacksaw because the lid was stuck so tight.

It is always the HARDEST thing to do, waiting for the cool-down time. I hope your jars, your kitchen and you are safe.

:bighug2:

While trying to clean out the freezers I found a bunch of cranberries from last fall so I made cranberry juice and cranberry sauce. The juice came out good but the sauce didn't wan't to set up all the way. I had to get finished up so I just canned it up as is. It is thick, just not totally jelled. I was wondering if I could have tried a little clear jell in it to make it jell up. Maybe I will try that when I open a pint up next time. Ended up with 6 1/2 quarts of juice and 6 pints of sauce.

It may still set up. Sometimes things take weeks. "Instant" ClearJel® will work great when you open a jar. The Instant works on cold foods. Regular ClearJel® only works in cooking recipes.

I just finished 42 pints of chicken breasts, and have that many ready to do in the morning. I LOVE my food stamps. Sorry! Gotta find a bright spot somewhere.

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

Saturday, I canned 7 quarts of Pork Sirloin, the first I've canned for a while. They turned out so nice. :)

I have taken pictures, but, haven't gotten them on the computer yet. :)

HUGS35.gifHAVEAGOODDAY.gif

I was given some fresh blueberries so I canned 11 jars of blueberry jam, which ended up as just syrup when I realized the pectin was over 2 years old and nothing set. I then got some fresh pectin and did the final run of another 11 jars of blueberry jam and this time everything set up properly. So now I have tasty blueberry syrup for pancakes and ice cream, and jam for the toast. Best of both worlds.

I still have those potatoes waiting to be dehydrated but I borrowed a steam canner from a friend (she said it's nicer than a water bath canner and I got 9# of strawberries, this weekend Jake and I are making Jake's Jam, strawberry of course!

I got 2 cases of qt jars at BigLots for $6.75 a case, and then I picked up 12 jelly jars 1/2 pt for $6.25 I also got the Ball Blue Book to go along with my Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. Can never have too much info. I got some liquid pectin and since I never did this before it should be interesting to see the results.

Wish me luck

I just canned chicken! My first time pressure canning anything. The jars were pinging as I took them out of the canner.

I think I sat there and stared at the pressure gauge and weight the whole time.

It smells good. Am I supposed to be able to smell it? :unsure:

:woohoo: Congrats Prickle! Isn't it just the greatest to hear that *PING*PING*PING*!!

Yes, you will often smell the food you are canning, and if you think it smells good, just wait until you taste it.

I got busy this week and did quarts of Pinto Beans and Roast Beef Chunks. :canning:

Chicken makes a lot of juice and some tends to purge out during the processing and gives you that nice aroma. Sometimes enough purges out that the water becomes oily also. Nothing to be concerned about as long as all the jars end up with a good seal.

Congratulations! Don't wait too long before you sample your efforts and see just how good it is.

I just canned chicken! My first time pressure canning anything. The jars were pinging as I took them out of the canner.

I think I sat there and stared at the pressure gauge and weight the whole time.

Oh Prickle, you are not alone. The first time I pressure canned anything, it was chicken. I sat on a stool in the kitchen the WHOLE time WATCHING that gauge. I was exhausted after that couple of hours, but oh - so satisfied! :)

Have fun & happy canning!

:wave: Hello All! Been awhile since I have been able to really get on and read or send any messages. My husband has been gone to work for 1 1/2 weeks now and still has 2 weeks b/f he gets to come home. Naturally 4 of my 6 rows (75' long rows) of potatoes & my 3 86' long rows of snapbeans were ready to dig and pick. At first it was just me picking the beans & digging potatoes until my sister got off work for 3 days and then she helped me.

So now I have worn myself out digging, cleaning, scrapping, dicing & cleaning potatoes and picking, washing, snapping & washing snapbeans for a week now. Results for me: 30 quart jars potatoes, 30 quart jars green beans, 3 quart jars mixed potatoe/green beans, 36 pint jars potatoes, 8 quart freezer bags of potatoes ( not counting all we have cooked & ate & gave away to people. And 1 side of my porch is so full of potatoes.(still have almost 2 rows to dig, but they were still pretty green and 1 of them is still blooming.

Sis & Mom have many on their porch too, plus they put 20 quart bags in the freezer yesterday & ate lots of them this week.

Just scrapped enough to do a canner of pints in the morning. This :canning: has become a major job for ME! Good thing the peas. butterbeans, corn & okra havent came in yet. But the blackberries will start getting ripe soon. Missed out on the huckleberries around here, they didn't do too good.

Had to go buy up 3 boxes each of pints & quarts @ Big Lots yesterday so I could finish up my canning, but will have to go buy more most likely. Our Big Lots sells their quarts here for $ 7.50 a dozen. Wished ours was $ 6.75 like ya'lls were!

Happy Canning All!!! :grinning-smiley-044:

Wow! I'm tired just reading what you did! All I canned yesterday was 7 quarts of Darlene's Chicken soup. We just planted our garden, so it will be awhile before we can harvest anything. Take care.

If it's too much at once, freeze some of the beans, peas, and blackberries until there is more time and energy. You could try drying some things also, instead of canning all of it.

Can the potatoes can stay in the ground longer? We don't dig them here until the plants die completely.

Archived