MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 5

Cat

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished canning 15 pints of Boston Baked Beans (that's a double batch) from the BBB recipe. It is a good recipe for a dreary spring day while you wait for the ground to warm in the garden.

I did 7 - 1/2 pints of lemon juice and 9 - 1/2 pints of orange jelly I found the recipe for the jelly and the monsters weren't eating the oranges fast enough so into the jelly they went... LOL!

That's a great recipe Jake, everyone always seems to love it. Esp if you replace some of the molasses with maple syrup (credit that to whomever here suggested it. can't remmeber now, just know it was someone on this board that gave me the idea :) )

Harris Teeter had 4 lb of strawberries for $5, so I got 16 lb. I made 8lb into jam (one batch I put 1 cup too much sugar in, I hope it turns out ok, plus the liquid pectin instructions said it one batch would make 7 half pints, I got 12...). I have 4 lb in the freezer to make into jam when I get back from the beach Friday. I have some in the fridge, I hope they last, if they do I will try to dehydrate them.

• 2 weeks later...

I canned beef while on vacation. :unsure: I wonder if I'm REALLY ok?

While in Maryland, Food Lion had a sale on sirloin tip roast. $1.87 with the card. I got around 20# and borrowed my SIL's pressure canner. We brought 12 quarts home with us

I canned beef while on vacation. :unsure: I wonder if I'm REALLY ok?

While in Maryland, Food Lion had a sale on sirloin tip roast. $1.87 with the card. I got around 20# and borrowed my SIL's pressure canner. We brought 12 quarts home with us

:24: Nope, girl, you have it bad. You know you have it bad when you can on vacation and BRING IT HOME with you. :008Laughing: I SO WISH my friends back east canned so I could do some canning back there but they *sadly* think it a waste of time and that I'm a nutso. :wacko:

We need to find that thread "You know you're a canner if..." I think it made the rounds again last spring when I was new to the board. I remember Cat 'encouraged' me to contribute because of my 'name' on this board.

Lemme see if I can find it and post it.

Welcome to the world of crazy canning and prepping NO MATTER what. :) Only on this board will people NOT think you're nuts for canning on vacation. I think it was Judy who picked apples from her childhood home one summer, canned them there, and then left all the equipment there for them to use. :whistling:

No worries, love. You fit right in here.

:bighug2:

I went to visit my daugher and her husband in Tacoma WA last August and found blackberries growing wild all over the place right in town. They also had a park where the city planted about 2000 blueberry bushes free for the picking. I couldn't help but make jam for them.

I got 4 pints of Banana jam (thanks Violet for the recipe) and 4 pints of Banberry Jam done today. More to follow tomorrow. I was lucky enough to find bananas on discount and strawberries for $1 a pound.

I got the beans and ham done, 7 pints of them. I also did 8.5 pints of strawberry jam. The jam "separated", strawberry solids at the top and a lovely red strawberry jelly at the bottom. I didn't have enough strawberries to make 4 cups for the last batch, so I added 1 banana. When I put the half filled pint jar in the water, it floated! :D I had it in the middle, but it bobbed around a bit, so I pinned it between two other jars along the side. It didn't have the 2" of water covering it, so I'll stick it in the fridge and we'll it that first.

I used a lot of "so" in that paragraph...

Josephine,

Glad you got your beans canned.

Strawberries often float in the jam. The fruit is lighter than the jelly part, so they float.

One thing about the jam with the banana. Unless you have enough added acid to that it would not be considered safe. Bananas are low acid. That is why the banana jam recipe has lemon juice added. So, I am not sure if your recipe for strawberry has enough added to deem it safe with that banana added... sorry, but want to be sure.

Never can a half full jar because too much air will be left in the jar and not all will be expelled during canning. That air can allow the food to spoil in the jar. Headspace is important in canning for safety reasons.

Never can a half full jar because too much air will be left in the jar and not all will be expelled during canning. That air can allow the food to spoil in the jar. Headspace is important in canning for safety reasons.

If I put it in the fridge after it cooled, can I still eat it? I thought if I treated it like a jar that hadn't sealed properly, it would be ok.

It's fine in the fridge. In the future when you have 'leftovers', just put them directly into the fridge and not attempt to process the small amount in the canner. Or you should keep small jars handy for handling the small amounts remaining. I do that with half-pints and 4 oz jars, then I use them for gifts or sampler sizes.

Josephine, if I wasn't clear, I meant that I usually have a jar or bowl handy for those 'little bit' of left overs. After it cools completely, I pop it in the fridge and eat it first. :)

Canning Nerd is right about those 1/4 pints - they are terribly handy for nice sample jars. ;)

I do need to get more 1/2 pints, my regular store only has the quilted half pints though, which are as much as the regular pints, and my Yankee frugality won't let me buy them! I need to stop by a Shoppers Food Warehouse to get the 1/2 pints. Or maybe a WalMart :o as they are starting to have canning supplies again, I think... They don't have them year round this close to the "Big City" ;)

I just finished canning 5 quarts of chicken soup. I'm hoping there will be a few good sales this week and I can get some stock and chicken put up. I want to try and do some jam this week, the banana jam keeps calling my name. :lol:

SCORE!!!!!

A friend of mine got an amazing deal on roma tomatoes the other day. She came by the store where I work yesterday with a 20 lb bag of them, just for me!!!!

I've got to run up to Tractor Supply to get some more lids, and then, I'm thinking ketchup! Hmmm... I've got about 10-15lbs of cranberries in the freezer, maybe cranberry ketchup.

I was a canning fool yesterday. I have 2 grocery sacks of apples that Hubba got from a trucker at work. I was also overdue to can some pintos. Here was my totals for yesterday (all in pint jars):

6 applesauce

5 apple chunks

4 cinnamon apple chunks

23 pintos

38 jars in all!!!

And I pulled a no-no. At one o'clock when my timer went off, I turned the heat off & immediately went to bed, LOL. I've never left jars in the PC overnight.

Archived