MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Swine Flu

erin_d_a

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CN...;show_article=1

US medical authorities expressed strong concern Friday about an unprecedented multi-strain swine flu outbreak that has killed at least 60 people in Mexico and infected seven people in the United States.

"It's very obvious that we are very concerned. We've stood up emergency operation centers," Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) spokesman Dave Daigle told AFP.

One major source of concern was that the virus included strains from different types of flu.

"This is the first time that we've seen an avian strain, two swine strains and a human strain," said Daigle, adding that the virus had influenza strains from European and Asian swine, but not from North American swine.

In 11 of 12 reported human cases of swine influenza (H1N1) virus infection in the United States from December 2005 to February 2009, the CDC has documented direct or indirect contact with swine.

But the seven known cases of the previously undetected strain in the United States -- five from California and two from Texas -- did not have contact with pigs. The seven people infected have all recovered from the flu.

"We have determined that this virus is contagious and is spreading from human to human," the CDC said on its website. "However, at this time, we have not determined how easily the virus spreads between people."

Local and state health officials were interviewing not just the people who were infected but the people with whom they had contact, Daigle noted.

Officials were looking for the source of the infection, Daigle said, adding that US health officials were due to receive samples from Mexico that would be tested at a lab at the centers based in Atlanta, Georgia.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has identified swine influenza as a potential source of a human flu pandemic. Pandemics usually occur every 20 years.

"Our experts and others are saying are not saying it's not a matter of whether but when. And we are past due," said Daigle.

Swine flu is caused by type A influenza and does not normally infect humans but cases have been reported among people, especially those exposed to pigs, the CDC said. Most outbreaks take place during the late fall and winter months.

Swine flu symptoms include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing. Some people who have contracted the virus have also reported runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, according to the CDC.

Human outbreaks of H1N1 swine influenza virus were recorded in the United States in 1976 and 1988, when two deaths were reported, and in 1986. In 1988, a pregnant woman died after contact with sick pigs, the WHO said.

In recent years, the global focus for a pandemic has shifted to the H5N1 bird flu virus, which has spread from poultry to humans, especially in Asia.

Yahoo news article on Swine Flu/ Flu outbreak. Reminder, it is killing people between early 20s and 45 yrs of age. So it's definitely different.

WHO calls emergency meeting on swine flu

Reuters

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_flu_who;_ylt...2xrA3JlbGF0ZWQ-

2 hrs 25 mins ago

* WHO convening emergency committee to advise on swine flu

* 12 of 18 virus samples in Mexico same as California cases

* More epidemiological info needed for pandemic alert change

GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Health Organization said on Friday it was calling an emergency committee to advise whether outbreaks of swine flu in humans in the United States and Mexico constituted an international public health threat.

A deadly strain of swine flu never seen before has broken out in Mexico, killing as many as 60 people and raising fears of a possible spread across North America.

"WHO will convene, sometime in the very near future, an emergency committee under the International Health Regulations, which will consider whether or not this event constitutes a public health event of international concern," WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl told Reuters in Geneva.

Hartl also said that 12 of 18 samples taken from victims in Mexico showed the virus had a genetic structure identical to that of a swine flu virus found in California.

But more epidemiological information was needed before any change to the WHO's pandemic alert level, currently at '3' on a scale of 1 to 6, he said.

"The technical people in our Organization are saying that before we know how pandemic a virus can be, we need to know how efficiently it is transmitting and how widespread it is," Hartl said.

(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

Take the usual precautions and wash your hands frequently. Keep your hands away from your face when in public. Avoid fast food places and crowds. Been doing this for yrs and haven't had flu in over 25 yrs now. Haven't had a cold since daughter stopped going to public school. We don't take flu shots.

We have a sub-forum in the Spa forum that used to be a separate forum. It's called "The Flu Clinic". With this new outbreak, we may consider re-separating it. :shrug:

There are links and info and lots of stuff to explore.

:bighug2:

I believe that it was a version of swine flu that swept thru back in the late 60's. [ok, I'm dating myself] My mom got it and still reports today that she was never so sick in her life. Well, she's also had small pox and scarlet fever as a kid but having things as an adult is sometimes much worse.

Being from Iowa, I just thot the flu was cuz our neighbors all raised pigs. ;)

As already mentioned...wash hands! Maintain good cleanliness standards, especially if you have pets/livestock. It's PAST time to get our bodies as strong and healthy as possible.

MtRider [back to daily walks with Big Dog to increase stamina ]

I'm watching this closely. Not in a panic as thats not my nature. Just making sure all family members practice good hand hygine.

I'm needing to do some more reading (and please bear with me, I just woke up 10 mins ago, and have yet to have coffee)

But in 1918 wasn't there 2 or 3 waves? The first hitting being milder hitting in spring and summer and then the next wave hitting during the "normal" flu season.

I've also read that when a flu is killing younger folk (and I'm in the killing age bracket of 20-40) its due in part to a cytokine storm.

I found the Flu Wiki website lastnight and will be spending time reading it.

http://www.fluwikie.com/pmwiki.php?n=Conse...es.Consequences

Best Wishes to all and pardon me as I'll be just waving from now on.

Also remember to wash your face frequently. Exposure is not just going to be on your hands. It can get in your eyes from rubbing an eyelid if the virus is on your exposed skin. Good idea to wash all the way up to your shirtsleeves , elbows included.

Sanitize your car dash, arm rests, steering wheel and shift knob, wipe down your seats where you and family members sit with sanitizing agents. Bleach and rubbing alcohol. Wipe down door handles, door knobs. Do this frequently in the weeks to come.

Put bleach in your dish water when you wash your dishes. This will help kill the virus. Wash with very hot water, not just tepid stuff.

Build up your diets to really nutritious levels if you can, etc on that account. Sugar products are not a good thing regarding immunity. Now is the time for anyone who doesnt have at least one months food supply and water stored, to get it done.

If we go quarantine, pandemic style, martial law, there will be no more shopping for a while. Disruptions to all services , water and sewer, gas, electric are always possible in such a situation.

N95 respirators and dust masks that block organic vapors do help. Eye protection as well if you can get it if you have to be out and about, latex gloves you discard after each use. Get sizes for everyone in the family unit. If someone sneezes or coughs within 40 ft of you, you can be infected. There are also threads on setting up a sick room to isolate the person and instructions on how to care for them posted on past threads in Mrs S.

Archived