MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

ancient hair removal techniques

Meg

If I had to live without my lady razor I just don't think I could do it....

I have heard of the idea of using (very carefully) a sharppened knife to shave legs and other areas...but I also read in a book that the ancient romans came up with many ideas for dipilitory creams.....

any ideas on DIY Hair removal

it could be a reality one day...

The easiest method to prep for would be waxing. Beeswax is the basic component in such waxes. Perhaps there are recipes for this somewhere? ( Other option is to buy alot of razor blades and a few razors as back up, in case they are not available. ) One would want to have them in the first aid kit anyway, in case one has to do a surgery and needs to shave away body hair.

It seems more a vanity thing to worry about this if times get hard, other than maybe shaving ones armpits ( female).

Getting used to using a straight razor might be an idea since they will last a life time!

Hey,

If things get that bad in the world, I'm grabbing that opportunity to have an excuse not to shave my legs.

I'm sure Eve had hairy legs and pits when God presented her to Adam. What's good enough for Adam will have to be good enough for my husband!

Though, I would feel better if I could have shaved armpits. :yuk:

I worked with a girl back in the 70's and she never shaved her pits. And she never smelled! I was smelly and I shave! So, it's not the hair, it's the bacteria that needs to cleaned away that smells. ;)

I'm With Homemaker on this one...Although you have piqued my curiousity. Please post the recipe you mentioned. I have a nasty allergy to commercial dipilitory creams (i.e Nair) and I'm sure there are other's who might find it useful. Thanx

One of the little jokes of aging is that as you begin to lose some of the hair on your legs, it starts hanging out on your chin area. :(

If things get tough, armpit hair is probably not going to be a priority for me. But I don't really want it there.

I've got a habit of buying the large packages of disposable shavers at Sam's Club for my guys and hold back some for me. I can make four stretch through a year, usually, only using them for the pits. :shrug:

Time for a confession.... :blush: In the winter I almost never shave my legs or arm pits. We have a very cold house in the winter and believe it or not that layer of hair keeps me warmer. Although about spring my legs get itchy so it has to go. DH can't complain since he grows quite a bushy beard in the winter too. If he doesn't have to shave... I don't have to shave... :D

*True Confessions"

:shakinghead:

:tapfoot: Do we need to move this thread into the private ladies' forum????

:24::24::24:

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

This is the Spa, not the private one. :) Anyone can read this thread. :)

I will confess too, I don't do a lot of shaving in the winter. But, I have some problems getting my legs shaved come spring. No, I do shave usuall when I go to church as I usually wear a dress. :) Oh, and yes arm pits too. :) I have gone through 4 electric raisers and have a battery operated one now. It seems to work great, and not so expensive either. :) But, the disposible ones would be less yet. :)

Think I will check out google and see what I can find.

Cat, if you want to move this that is fine, I haven't learned to move things yet. :)

haveagooddaywithflowers.gifHUGSMOUSEINSUGAR.gif

Some Eastern peoples use a technique called threading. You use a twisted piece of string that grabs the hair kind of like a low tech epilady.

Here's a video that shows how it's done.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-thread-leg-hair

There's also a sugar paste, kinda like a lump of caramel that will pull the hairs out:

http://www.beauty-fitness-savvy.com/sugari...ir-removal.html

I've tried those hair removal mits, they're basically ultra fine sandpaper. My skin felt scraped afterwords (cuz it was, duh!) so I only used it once. It does work though and I'm told you get used to it.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1...ir_removal.html

Ha, Prickle! You listed 2 things I was going to list...threading and the hair removal pads...

I tried waxing my legs this winter, just because I HATE having to shave, but even though I did it twice, I still had hair on my legs. :( Maybe I didn't do it right? But, I'm really lucky there...the hair on my legs is so blond that you can only see it when the sunlight makes it glisten! :008Laughing:

Archived