MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

molasses explosion

Well it didn't EXACTLY explode, but it sure is a mess. 2 yrs ago I bought a 5 gal pail and it has the pour spout but not a good cap for it. So I've been pouring some into a jar periodically to use. Then I had a glass turned over the spout, which worked pretty good. Then a few days ago I noticed the fruit flies were very attracted to it and there was a bit of a "fruity" smell. So I thought I best take the entire top off and check it. It looked ok so I thought I would go ahead and put the rest in jars so it would be easier to use and would keep the fruit flies away. BIG MISTAKE! I carefully filled the jars and set a lid on them until all 14 were full. I left 1/2 inch head space in each jar. Then proceeded to carefully wipe any spills and set the wet jars on a paper towel to dry before putting on the rings. THEN I saw that the molasses was bubbling out of the jars. Yep, it is fermenting. It still tates ok though. So now I am in process of heating the molasses to stop the ferment and pour it in clean, sterile jars.

WHAT A MESS! It never occured to me that undiluted molasses would ferment in the bucket. Now WE know.

Quick, you could be onto something. Molasses wine?

Go on, live dangerous, give it a try. You know you want to :grinning-smiley-044:

Yep, you just outwitted yourself out of some tremendous dark rum! :008Laughing:

Hope the heating and the clean jars are a help though..... can one really save fermenting molasses safely once it starts? I think I would have pitched the whole thing because that would make me nervous!

Nearly 5 gal of molasses would be a valuable thing to lose. Dunno the prices in the USA for the stuff but here you'd pay through the nose for something like that.

So well saved in time Crab.

i remember when my mom would buy five gallon or one gallon bottles of apple juice and fill them in single serving apple juice containers that i started bringing home. she would wash the singe serve bottles and prepare them for the next day of school. ONE DAY, while we were in catholic school (of all things) my sister and i both noticed, respectively, that our juices had turned into beer!!!! or at least beginning to be beer. i threw mine away quickly for fear that tptb would smell the offending drink and report my mom to local authorities.

• 1 year later...
Oh man, I might have been Molassacred in my bed! LOL

CGA-Love this post! :thumbs: I think we might be kindred spirits!!!!

Lots of things. Molasses cookies, candy, in bread, to make syrup for pancakes (mix with simple syrup to taste), in pies. You can use a little molasses and regular sugar in any recipe calling for brown sugar. Mix a little molasses with the sugar till you like the strength.

hmmmm interesting...thanks

Archived