MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I can't believe this is happening AGAIN!!!

Deb2of9

My landlady came by tonight to collect the rent. Whiles she was there ( after taking the rent check of course,) she informed me that she was losing the house. She said that my deposit ( $1000 between security and pet deposit) would go to my next two months rent after this and if I couldn't stay that long, she would find a way to refund the amount not used for rent. I don't know how long I have here, but this is the second time that this happened. Last time, my landlord filed bankrupcy. That took about a year and a half that my brother was able to stay there without rent. ( I moved out last year, but it took him until now. They finally sold his place and told him he has to move, so he will be moving in two weeks. He just signed a lease on the new place on Friday.) She basically has told me the same thing. She said I can stay here rent free after the security deposit is used up until they take the home and make me leave. In the mean time as soon as the bank takes the home she is taking the stove, refrigerator and washer. The dryer broke last winter. My garage door broke then too, and it still isn't fixed. I guess she won't fix it now. I am so frustrated. We moved here partly to get away from that situation and now I have had it happen again. Renters have no rights. I wish I had my own place to live. This place isn't ideal. It is only about one acre and doesn't have a basement. I am not crazy about the bathroom although it works. If I was in position to buy it, I might consider it, but I would rather own a place with more land and a basement. I won't rule that possiblity out, but it would take a lot for me to be able to buy this place, so it isn't likely to happen even if it was my ideal place. I don't want to look for a new place to live right now. I just planted my garden!!! Hopefully it will take long enough to allow me to get to harvest time. I am just so disappointed.

You know they talk so much about homeowners loosing their place to hard ecconomic times. I know that it is true. My landlady had to move from here to move to their family farm in order to save it. ( It belongs to her mother in law, and it was about to be lost.) They couldn't charge enough rent on this place because they took out a second morgage that was twice what they charged me for rent, plus had to keep up payments on the other place. First she lost her job and had to take agency work that was not reliable. Then her husband was laid off with no chance of getting his job back. There just aren't any jobs out there. Unfortunately as a tenant I don't have much for rights. The bank can take the home and put me out. I don't know how long it will take them. My brother's place was bought by the goverment and they are paying him to move. It helps him, but he still has to move. Now I am going through this twice in less than two years. I don't want to keep doing this, but I have to rent at this point in my life. I just don't have the money to buy right now. Now as a renter I am stuck. I can pay my rent faithfully, follow my lease and still lose because they can't pay their bills. It just doesn't seem fair.

I am just blowing off some steam. Sorry to rant. Prayers that it will work out and I will have time to find a place for me. I don't want to have to move away from my daughter and there really aren't that many rentals in this area. I am afraid that I might be stuck giving up having a garden, which is not something that I want to do. I know that God will work it out, but sometimes I just don't see how things will work out. I want to solidify being self sufficient and if I am at the whim of others I don't know how that will happen.

That is the pits Deb! :(

Try to take it one day at a time and not feel so overwhelmed with trying to figure it all out.

Take a deep breath, say a heartfelt prayer and get ready for a new adventure, another chapter in your life.

I hope you are able to find the 'perfect' place and somehow be able to make it your own, wouldn't that be grand! :hug3:

Having done this once already, I already planned to pay rent to myself until I have to move. That will give me money to make the move. The ironic thing is we are still getting things from my brothers place after moving from there last May. We are getting the rest of my stuff as we are moving him. It took me until a month ago just to get someone to get the rest of my big furniture there. That only happened because I bought some new stuff and rented a truck to get it here. I couldn't find someone with a truck and it took until I was buying the other stuff that i finally decided that I had waited long enough and rented the truck. At least after this month I can save money that would go to rent until I manage to move. I know it will work out, but it just seems so awful that just as my brother was finally getting out from under that cloud, it was my turn to be back under it again. I know it could be worse and so I can hang in there it is just gonna be rough for a little bit.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, i had a friend this happened to. He had to move three times (he was a renter) and all the houses were getting foreclosed on just a few months after he moved in. Finally he rented from someone he knew.

Maybe the next house you find will suit your needs better. If you bank your *rent* this could happen.

Good luck!

Aw shoot Deb, this is hard. Best of luck and all the strength.

Ohio is a judicial foreclosure state. That is good for you, because it takes longer. You probably have time to get your garden harvested this season.

See if you can find out from the landlady where she is in the process. She may have gotten a Notice of Intent to Foreclose, or the complaint may have been filed. If she won't tell you, see if you can look it up online. Ohio land records are easily accessible to the public online. You can cross reference the parcel or plat number by the property address. You may need the parcel number to check the foreclosure status. Here's an Ohio timeline... the "you" in this timeline is the property owner.

Also bear in mind that the courts are swamped with foreclosures, and that is making things take even longer.

You need to know when she expects to come get appliances. I'd be thinking about changing the locks, if I were you. They could haul anything out of there and who would you complain to? Also consider renter's insurance, if you don't already have it. She took your money before telling you about the house. That is a red flag that she is looking out for herself, not you.

Foreclosure Timeline

All times below are APPROXIMATE

Day 1: You fail to pay the mortgage payment by the due date today, the first of the month.

Day 16-30: Late charges are assessed on the payment. The mortgage servicer attempts to make contact with you to find out what happened.

Day 45-60: The servicer sends you a "demand" or "breach" letter pointing out that terms of the mortgage have been violated.

Day 90: The servicer refers the loan to the foreclosure department and hires a local attorney or other firm to initiate the foreclosure proceedings.

The servicer then files the proper legal documents at the Court of Common Pleas. This is called a "complaint." Once the case is filed, the court will send you a copy of the lawsuit by certified mail and/or through delivery by a sheriff's deputy.

What happens next depends on what, if any, action you take. If you do nothing, the process may move swiftly. The servicer may file a motion with the Court for a "default judgment." This could happen one month after you receive court papers. The court may give the servicer a judgment quickly, setting up the house for a sheriff's sale.

If you take action in response to the complaint, you must do so within 28 days. An attorney can help you through this process. Contact Ohio State Legal Services Assocation or the Ohio State Bar Association to find an attorney.

Day 150+: Once a court grants a judgment to foreclosure, the sheriff will appraise the value of your house and it is then sold at foreclosure sale or auction. Again, this may happen sooner or later, because times are only approximate. The property must sell for at least two-thirds of its appraised value. There may still be a chance to save your home. Contact a housing counselor immediately.

After the Sale: You have the right to buy back your home prior to the sale being confirmed. This "right to redeem the property" allows you to pay the amount you owe against the house in full. You will also owe any additional fees and costs incurred as a result of the foreclosure. Typically, it will take 30 days to "confirm" the sheriff's sale.

Confirmation: You will be given a notice by the sheriff to leave. The amount of time varies by county. Call your local sheriff to check or to try to negotiate for more time.

Source: Ohio State Legal Services Association

RATS!!!!!!!

Are there many available places to rent in your area? We were looking at one point and there was NOTHING for rent.

I will be praying for you and that you can find just the right place AFTER you harvest.

Archived