MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Applesauce cake in a jar

Has anyone ever tried this?

http://endtimesreport.com/cake_in_a_jar.html

APPLE SAUCE CAKE-IN-A-JAR

Ingredients:

1 large can (24 oz) of apple sauce, or 3 cups of peeled, chopped apples.

3 eggs

3 cups flour (all purpose)

1 cup corn oil

1 ½ cups chopped walnuts or hazelnuts, pecans, etc

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon allspice

½ teaspoon salt

½ cup raisins, currants, or chopped dates

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.

Grease and flour 6 or 8 wide mouth PINT jars. Fill the jars about HALF full with cake batter. Bake at 325 for about 30 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out dry. Remove the jars from the oven ONE at a time, wipe the rim, then cap with simmered canning lid and secure the ring. Cool the jars on a towel until they "ping" and seal. Store on a dark, cool shelf.

I went to the larder to check on my "Cake-in-a-jar" supply before writing this. I was amazed to find the date, May, 1999, written on the lid, and they are still looking good! It is time to bake more bottled cake. For a "different" taste I will delete ½ cup of applesauce and add ½ cup of brandy or rum to the cake batter. This should ensure it will keep for years. This cake will be spirit-filled!

This is what the experts say about it;

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#30

Can I can bread or cake in a jar?

These products are not recommended for canning; choose recipes that you can freeze. In fact, most of these products are not really "canned." The directions call for baking in the jar and then closing with a canning lid. Many recipes for quick breads and cakes are low-acid and have the potential for supporting the growth of a bacteria like Clostridium botulinum if it is present inside the closed jar. One university's research showed a high potential for problems. You will see these products made commercially; however, additives, preservatives and processing controls not available for home recipes are used. Canning jar manufacturers also don't endorse baking in their canning jars.

This is a VERY dangerous thing to do. You can get botulism from it.

Think of the ingredients... flour, eggs, oil, all things not safe to can ( other than a few marinated HIGHLY acidifed things that have been tested in labs). Then, to put in a solid form, since density is a big canning factor adds to the danger. Plus, the glass is not safe for the oven. It can shatter and throw glass all over. Then, sit in a sealed jar just where botulism likes to grow. Besides, the jars are not even processed, they are done "open kettle".

Please, do not try any of the cake/bread in a jar things.

Yes, we've had serious discussions about this for years. It kind of became a "fad" some years back, and you will find recipes all over the internet for jar cakes and breads.

It's a lesson in remembering that "just because you see something on the internet, doesn't mean it's right/good/true".

They're fine for short-term gift-giving, with the instructions to use them SOON!.

But I figure it's just a waste of a good canning jar. :shrug:

Violet,

If I remember correctly (and you don't mind using the jar for this), it's safe to make these then store them in the fridge for short-term use, right?

That way, ANM could make them for gifts or using herself since she likes the recipe, but use them within a short time so it would be safe...

But I definitely would not eat these if they've been on the shelf, ANM. It's just not worth the risk...even if you've had them in the past and they've been okay, it would only take one rogue botulism spore to make you very, very sick. :( Don't take the chance, hon!

Hey Anewme don't feel bad about posting this. I also was canning cakes in jars with recipes from a book I bought until Violet here let me know that although I'd been canning for 25 years, things had changed in that time, LOL! Now, I get all the updated info at the USDA sites, the newest Ball book, etc....

I have a great recipe for amaretto cake in a jar that can't be baked any other way so I do make that, but it only makes about six of them and they are small. I make them for Christmas, remove from the jar, and slice them onto a platter for a lovely party tray. But, I don't give them as gifts because I don't trust that people would actually eat them right away OR that they might decide to store it longer thinking because it was sealed it was safe.

Thanks Violet for keeping us all alive around here!

Violet,

If I remember correctly (and you don't mind using the jar for this), it's safe to make these then store them in the fridge for short-term use, right?

That way, ANM could make them for gifts or using herself since she likes the recipe, but use them within a short time so it would be safe...

But I definitely would not eat these if they've been on the shelf, ANM. It's just not worth the risk...even if you've had them in the past and they've been okay, it would only take one rogue botulism spore to make you very, very sick. :( Don't take the chance, hon!

I brought this up, myself, a couple years ago on here. They ARE safe to can & fridge or freeze., however for freezing, you don't want to seal them tight yet.

**Cat sneaks up behind JCK88 to try and peek into her recipe box for that amaretto cake recipe...**

:happy0203:

If the lids are put on and they seal when hot, botulism can grow quickly enough to cause death or paralysis within a few days. ( Same reason that foods need reprocessing within 24 hours of the initial canning if they don't seal. It grows that fast.)

So, if one insist on doing this, even with the risk of the glass explodiing in the oven, they should be baked, let cool totally. Then put a lid on, keep in the fridge no longer than 3 days or frozen. We still do not recommend doing this with the risk of the jars exploding.

Little cans would be much safer than jars. Grease and flour them, then use them.

Pyrex also had a glass tube for baking breads in called a bake a round, I think. I had one years ago.

The safest is to use small bread pans instead.

Violet, I may need to get a "direct line" to you before this is all over!!! LOL...

JCk...I'd love that recipe!!!

They used to have these tubes from Pampered Chef that you could bake breads and cakes in that were really neat. I forgot about those....may have to look them up on Ebay.

I seriously never would have guessed I'd be doing all of this and I'm so proud of myself for followig it through....wonder what neat little things I'll be getting into next year???

I remember the tubes. They were different shaped ones ! Hearts, stars, etc. I had forgotten about them.

Oh, I get lots of Pm's with questions. That is fine to do. Happy to help out. I want everyone to be able to learn and learn safely.

This is really great you are doing all of this ! I am very proud of you !!!

Hugs,

Violet

::::::::Thwacking self on head::::::::for not saving the message I sent to Cat.....didn't realize y'all would want it...so typing it out again....LOL Just do not store it like canned food. USE RIGHT AWAY

BASIC Cake in a Jar

Makes 6 to 7 cakes

2 2/3 cup sugar

1 cup butter

4 eggs

1/2 cup water

2 tsp vanilla

3 1/2 cups flour'

1 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs and mix well. Ad water and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Pour one cup batteri n each pint jar. (use the straight sided, wide mouth type) Bake at 325 for 55 to 60 minutes. (When you bake them put the jars on a baking sheet, make sure they don't touch each other. I put mine on a heavy broiler pan so I can lift them all out of the oven at once easily.) Be sure that you don't drip batter onto the top of the jars, if you do, wipe it. I use the canning funnel to avoid this. DO NOT SEAL THE JARS. Cool, cut up, put on platters. Or, store in the fridge. You can use those plastic canning jar lids to keep them fresh once they are cooled. These are not airtight. And, you could give these as a gift that way, but make sure people know to eat the cake right away.

Chocolate Amaretto variation:

Omit water and vanilla from basic recipe.

Add:

1/2 cup almond flavored liqueur

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup chopped almonds

Mix and bake same as basic cake mix

Rum Raisin variation:

Omit water and add 1/2 cup dark rum

1 cup raisins

Mix and bake same as basic cake

Orange or Lemon Poppy seed variation:

Omit water and add

1/2 cup of orange OR lemon juice

1 cup white chocolate chips

1/4 cup poppy seeds

1 Tablespoon of grated orange OR lemon peel

Mix and bake same as basic mix...

And the Banana nut version:

To the basic recipe add:

2 cups mashed bananas

1 tsp cinnamon

2/3 cup chopped pecans

mix and bake as above...

Also, for a nice polka dot cake, add cup of the mini M&Ms candies to the basic mix.

These recipes are from an old book called "Jazzy Jars" Glorious gift ideas by Marie Browning. It came out before the canning guidelines were updated.

I have edited this to take out references to sealing the jars with canning lids while they are hot. THIS SHOULD NOT BE DONE.

Edited by JCK88
If the lids are put on and they seal when hot, botulism can grow quickly enough to cause death or paralysis within a few days. ( Same reason that foods need reprocessing within 24 hours of the initial canning if they don't seal. It grows that fast.)

So, if one insist on doing this, even with the risk of the glass explodiing in the oven, they should be baked, let cool totally. Then put a lid on, keep in the fridge no longer than 3 days or frozen. We still do not recommend doing this with the risk of the jars exploding.

Little cans would be much safer than jars. Grease and flour them, then use them.

Pyrex also had a glass tube for baking breads in called a bake a round, I think. I had one years ago.

The safest is to use small bread pans instead.

Violet, is it safe to reprocess meat, I mean it takes a few hours to be sure that the bottle is properly sealed. Won't the meat be Poisons by then?

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.

You should not put the lids on the cakes to seal. That is how botulism grows fast, in the absence of air. They only are safe to keep in the fridge for about 3 days. Freeze for longer storage than that.

I am still not recommending baking in the glass jars, but if you do, these would be the safest ways to do so.

For meats or any other foods, you must reprocess within the first 24 hours of the initial canning. Otherwise not all bacteria may be killed since the bacteria count would be so high.

Umm. I have to comment here. :o

A very caring lady in Oregon was doing this for the PANG, Portland Air National Guard and her friend's kid was working on base, got a dozen jars of cake taken over to Iraq. It arrived and was well received, however the soldiers GOT SICK. One died of botulism. When it was traced back to the cake from Oregon, I spoke with a friend of mine in the Guard and had home-canned packages pulled from the list of 'safe and approved' items for care packages.

Violet is right. Canning is not appropriate for breads. The glass isn't made for baking in, for water-bathing and pressure canning. Extended heat in an oven can and WILL cause breakages as well as hold moisture in the jar.

IMHO, Please be safe and if you insist on making these, freeze them.

End of Public Service Announcement. :D

I make them, stick them in the fridge right away, then use within a couple days. We make them usually for an event, and often I don't bother sticking the lid on because we are usually going to cut them up and put them on a party platter..... This same recipe can be baked in tube pans or in tin cans, by the way. You don't have to use canning jars.

This is why I was hesitant to post the recipes. Because I don't want people thinking they are safe to use like they are "canned." I was horrified to learn later from Violet that these were not safe because a few years back when these were all the rage, we made these for teacher gifts. Everyone loved them....but thank goodness they ate them right away. Yikes. I have edited the recipe above to take out references to using lids to seal the jars.

Thanks for telling us about the lids!!!!!! I won't do THAT anymore. We do like the cakes and we will simply bake and use immediately.

Edited by JCK88
You should not put the lids on the cakes to seal. That is how botulism grows fast, in the absence of air. They only are safe to keep in the fridge for about 3 days. Freeze for longer storage than that.

I am still not recommending baking in the glass jars, but if you do, these would be the safest ways to do so.

For meats or any other foods, you must reprocess within the first 24 hours of the initial canning. Otherwise not all bacteria may be killed since the bacteria count would be so high.

Thanks Violet!

• 3 years later...

This is a VERY dangerous thing to do. You can get botulism from it.

Think of the ingredients... flour, eggs, oil, all things not safe to can ( other than a few marinated HIGHLY acidifed things that have been tested in labs). Then, to put in a solid form, since density is a big canning factor adds to the danger. Plus, the glass is not safe for the oven. It can shatter and throw glass all over. Then, sit in a sealed jar just where botulism likes to grow. Besides, the jars are not even processed, they are done "open kettle".

Please, do not try any of the cake/bread in a jar things.

From Philbe...although I'm not a "canner" I have sense enough to know that eggs, apples, and nuts of any kind would be a dangerous source of "pleasure" in any type of storage. Even if one used dehydrated eggs and apples, and nuts, I'm not sure it would make the risk any better so therefore one I would not be willing to try. Wouldn't it just be safer to put all the dry ingredients in a jar with instructions on what and how much to add, and then give it as a gift? Last summer we were given a huge jar of pickles with instructions on how to make "deep fried pickles". Problem...neither of us like dill pickles! LOL