MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need recommendations for teenage acne

I have read of some more natural treatments for acne but was wondering if anyone here has had good results with anything. My DD is really breaking out. It appears that it may be hormone related as it is worse at certain times of her cycle. Any advice would be great.

Blest

I have read of some more natural treatments for acne but was wondering if anyone here has had good results with anything. My DD is really breaking out. It appears that it may be hormone related as it is worse at certain times of her cycle. Any advice would be great.

Blest

This was a good while ago but I had good results with Benzoyl Peroxide. The stuff that's in Oxy products.

I read a book, the title escapes me now but it was something like "You can have clear skin". It changed the way I understood acne and the treatment outlined in it worked for me.

It's basically the same one outlined at this website:

http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

The important parts are to treat the whole area, not just spot treat the pimples themselves, and be diligent in applying the cream twice a day every day.

From the book I learned that it takes months for an acne pimple to form so treating them only when they erupt only treats *those* pimples and not ones still forming.

After about 6 months I had really lovely skin. I got lots of compliments :Blushing:

I have Organix products, which seems to be working well for them. I make sure they drink plenty of water to keep them flushed, and clean foods. That seems to be the only thing that helps them. I do have salicylic acid for when one erupts, but they don't have to use it much.

Don't use the Vitamin A products (Retinol) - can be very dangerous, affecting their reproductive capabilities.

Sounds silly, but I get adult acne, and I use oil cleansing method and have great results. Like dissolves like, I guess. I was skeptical at first, but love the results.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/OIL-CLEAN...Hi-t141871.html

I have great skin as long as I take cod liver oil every day. Carlson's makes lemon flavored CLO or capules. I take the capsules and give my kids the lemon flavored (for the omega-3's). My brother in law had cystic acne growing up and this worked really well for him. It may take a couple weeks to see a difference. She really needs to keep taking it, even if the acne clears up.

Also, when I was pregnant, I had horrible acne flare-ups (hormonal). What worked for me was to mix 1 teaspoon each of milk and honey until the honey dissolved into the milk. Spread on the face and let it sit 10 minutes then rinse. Do not wash after this, because it will rinse clean. Put on a light moisturizer, because even with oily skin or acne, your skin still needs moisture. The original Oil of Olay is light and didn't cause me to break out. Start by doing this every night until she notices a difference, then she can do it 2-3 nights a week. I swear by this! There was a group of us that were on a message board (pregnancy website) that found this was the only way to have clear skin. I still do a honey/milk mask at least once a week.

For spot treatments, a dab of toothpaste (not the gel kind) or a dab of honey to the spot works overnight. I usually put on of those little round bandaids over the honey.

Tea tree oil also works well.

HTH.

Sounds silly, but I get adult acne, and I use oil cleansing method and have great results. Like dissolves like, I guess. I was skeptical at first, but love the results.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/OIL-CLEAN...Hi-t141871.html

I really like the oil cleaning method, too. I use a mixture of coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil. Plain coconut oil actually dries my face too much, but mixing in a bit of olive oil helps it out. After I do the oil cleaning method, I sometimes put a little coconut oil back on my face as a moisturizer.

Eliminate all dairy products from the diet? Dairy makes some folks break out, including me. Makes some sense since all milk, even organic, has naturally occurring hormones from the mama cow. Messes with some folks.

My dh had bad acne when we met. I got him taking zinc-50mg.- twice a day until it cleared up and once a day ever since. He has no problem at all now and he almost never gets sick either! The gentleman who owned the business my dh worked at 10 years ago had a son with horrible acne. Gene told him his treatment and a month later the kid( teenager) said Gene changed his life. Hope this helps.

Take zinc with food or one might get nauseous

My son had horrible acne when he hit puberty. I made him 4% superfat plain white soap with OO, PO and CO, anhydrous aloe vera and a teaspoon plain white sugar PPO. He also carried a small sealable container of cotton rounds soaked in plain yellow listerine type mouthwash to wipe off with several times daily. It contains .25% thymol. It took 2.5 weeks for his skin to clear up.

• 4 weeks later...

Most people I know who have tried the flour/water paste overnight have had good luck with it. Sometimes it takes 2 nights.

Just mix up a paste and dab it on the area, let it dry all the way through, then flake it off. While it dries, it sucks out the pus, oil, and dirt. It will even work on those zits that don't break the surface.

Well, the zinc thing sounds highly effective.

My sister had really bad acne into her adult years. There is a local product here, sold by health food stores called Niora Naturals. It's about $20 for a wash and toner, it uses a stable form of Vitamin C, Aspirin, and something else to get down into the skin. If you have broken skin it can sting, but within a week, my sister's skin was on its way. In under 2 weeks, it was perfect. She used some on a sponge for her back acne and it cleared that up too. Eventually, she got down to using this every other day, sometimes every 3 days in the winter.

http://www.niora.com/index.php?cPath=3

I've used this on occasion when my face would break out. For me, overnight, it was cleared up. For $20, not bad at all! You might check to see if a health food store near you carries it if you don't want to pay shipping.

This is fabulous stuff. Well worth the $$.

Archived