MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Half gallon jars

Jori

Half gallon jars can be used to can anything you can in smaller jars. Questions regarding how long the jars need to be boiled or pressure-cooked can be obtained from your extension office. I have used/seen them used for smoked fish, juices, sauced fruit (apple, apricot, pear, asian pear) to eat or make fruit leather, chickens. It really has more to do with what your family can use in a reasonable period of time. I know big families use them for soups, etc. because they can use them up in a reasonable amount of time. Mostly I put apple cider in mine to keep warm on the woodstove all Winter.

Half gallon jars can be used to can anything you can in smaller jars. Questions regarding how long the jars need to be boiled or pressure-cooked can be obtained from your extension office. I have used/seen them used for smoked fish, juices, sauced fruit (apple, apricot, pear, asian pear) to eat or make fruit leather, chickens. It really has more to do with what your family can use in a reasonable period of time. I know big families use them for soups, etc. because they can use them up in a reasonable amount of time. Mostly I put apple cider in mine to keep warm on the woodstove all Winter.

I'm sorry, but this information is no longer correct. It is no longer considered safe to can anything except the thinnest liquids in them, such as juice. It was shown that their mass is too great to allow the heat to penetrate adequately enough to be certain the foods are safe.

(Meaning you can't be SURE it ALL got hot enugh for the maximum time required.)

Some people can water in them as a leakproof way to store extra water. (I don't) I would can juices in them if I had any, because we'd use it up fast enough.

But remember that they'll be heavier to deal with while hot, too, and plan accordingly to have help nearby if you need it.

:bighug2:

Yes, they are NOT safe for anything but canning fruit juices and remember - you MUST have 2-3" of water ON TOP of the jar to use in a water bath canner. IF your pot isn't large enough, don't do it.

I have several of these. I use them for dry storage.

Well...I'm glad I read this thread again. I did not know they were only recommended for fruit juices. My grandmother did kind of live on the edge and she taught me... I haven't used them for anything but apple cider for a long, long time. Thanks for the correction. I would hate to pass on bad info.

Rural King? We've got one up by Niles, MI. Was it a good price?

:shrug:

Large mouth 1/2 gals at the RK in Angola were $12-13ish for a half doz. I have cases and cases of small mouth, but wanted some large for goat milk-easier to get my hand in to wash.

Okay, so I just read Darlene's pinned forum at the top and got the picture. I did have a conference call last night with my mom and very elderly grandmother and got to ask a bunch of questions so that was really good for me. I was wrong about some things. :busted: I have a couple of questions, but I will post them in the Edge.

A lot of times Amish stores have the half gallon jars, both wide and small mouth.

Thanks for the info everyone.

They are great for putting dehydrated fruit in. To bad DH takes a handful of peaches everytime he walks by! Just saw him do it again before he left for work. :busted: Since I didn't pick up peppers yesterday, I might end up grabbing peaches today to can and dehydrate. I can see where this is a battle I should just chalk up to a lose.

Archived