MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Drawing for a free dog backpack

MommaDogs

I went to the REI garage sale and bought backpacks for dogs, thinking my pup needed her own and we could use some spares for bugging out. As Samara wasn't with me, I didn't know what size she was and guessed wrong. Or, rather, it was a great fit for about two weeks. It's a size Small http://www.rei.com/product/759611 - but it's actually more like a medium. It measures 25" from tip to tip of the belly buckles.

I will give this away in a drawing for anyone who wants to hike with their dogs and/or make their own bug out bag. If you've never hiked with a dog backpack, I can give you some pointers.

This past weekend, I took my two older dogs on a three day hike with their packs to the top of a mountain - they carried three days of food, their own water, and their own beds. My oldest is 11 years old, and although she was tired at the end, she did the 13 miles in two days up mountains. (pics on my blog if anyone wants to see how cute they were)

Let me know if you are interested and I'll hold the drawing at the end of this month.

Mommadogs,

That's generous of you. I'm interested.Please enter me in your drawing. I want to start hiking again and it looks like my dogs are the only family members interested in going along with me. With 7 of them, this backpack should fit one of them.

Tiger

That is so awesome!

We used to take our dog with us when we backpacked, he carried his own pack too. Except you couldn't find many backpacks for dogs in the early 80's, so I made him one. It was great! (He lived 16 years - wolf/sheppard)

I don't need one but I hope someone else will be interested.

Oh please, I would love to enter this contest. I've been looking at these and debating them for a while now. I want to start training my son and his dog on how to behave in outdoor environments. And how to carry their stuff. Fortunately, I had good luck in getting hiking backpacks for us. And my son loves his. He'll put it on to wear around the house!

MammaDogs, what a nice idea. Won't fit my Super-sized Mutt but I'd be interested in any pointers you'd have on using backpacks on dogs. I've found it difficult to keep them from slipping 'round the belly....even when I try to balance the load.

MtRider [why should *I* carry our water when she outweighs me! LOL ]

• 2 weeks later...

And the winner is... drumroll please...

firegirl

Please PM me your shipping address and I'll get it out to you ASAP.

Sorry to everyone else. :(

REI has great garage sales - if you have one near you, I highly recommend becoming a member and going to a garage sale. You can pick up things like this for pennies on the dollar. Mostly returns from other members.

As far as keeping it from slipping, I think it's the fit mostly. A good fit will keep it from slipping. I do find some of them slipping, but it doesn't seem to slow down my dogs any. I have used a leash to add another layer of tightening when going over rough terrain, protected from their underarms (which have less hair) with their bedrolls, which are just rolled blankets. Consider adding an additional strap to give a better fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived