MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Someone stop me.

I was told today, that next week I will be working 12 hours a day. Saturday is a maybe. I just keep thinging McDonalds. I need ideas to feed my family. They will have to make it on their own.11 and 13 year olds can do things with suppervision. Doctor doesn't want 15 year old to use her arm right now. DH is scarry in the kitchen.

Do you have a crock pot? You can make a lot of good, cheap meals in them... often with just "dump-together" ingredients.

More later, but I'd like to hear if you have one so I can aim for that, if I can.

Hang in there, sis... it might end up being good for the kids to learn something new that they can do well.

:bighug2:

(No, she's not my REAL sis... :D )

I would go with the slow cooker too--

you can throw in any amount of chicken--pour on the BBQ sauce and it will be ready when you get home--plus there are a ton of recipes for them--I hardly ever actually cook anymore--almost everything is in the slow cooker!!!

A vegetable soup is not too hard.

Anyway you could prepare meats/fish in advance, freeze it and take out in the morning? So DH and kids can add veggies and rice at their leisure?

It is a great opportunity for the family to realise how hard you work and how much you do for them!

The rumor going around is that some people are working 4am to 7 pm. It is going to start hitting my department tomorrow. Dh said as long as he knows where everything is he can handle it . That means I have things labeled with clear directions for everything. Crock-pot meals sound good. You people are great. 1 week of fast food we would be sick.

Oh no - don't do fast food! You'll end up sick and waste SO much money!

The crock pot is a FABULOUS idea. Also - if you have a freezer, start freezing things ahead and storing extra portions in the freezer. These can be individual things like pot pies or a larger container of soup or a bag of meatballs.

If you can, you can can up soup vegetables and combine it with a jar of home canned chicken or beef, a few more veggies and have a fast soup. Add some bread, corn bread, etc. and you've got dinner in under 30 minutes. This is so easy a child of 10 could do it.

I would rather work than be unemployed any day. I'm happy that you're working but not so thrilled about the family stress.

So glad we can be of help here. Hang in there, it won't be forever. :)

I need to start canning agian. Maybe not this week. :) Thursday was 9 hours, Friday 11 1/2, today 11 1/2. Monday-Wenesday will be 12. Next Wenesday they are going to give us popcorn for all our hard work, and by the way Friday will be a very light or a nonproduction day. :huh:

Oh well that's factory work for ya. Potpies sounds good,maybe I can make some up tomorrow. Lasagna would be ok to make ahead.

Aw GoFish, sounds like you need a virtual footrub. Here´s one....

Dunno how busy your family is with their own work and or study but how about just having ingredients there and let them cook?

When you work this many hours it´s a bit much to expect you to do the cooking and in advance as well.

I used to stuff the freezer with cooked meals any time I went away for work for longer periods of time. Away from home that was on projects that could be a few weeks.

Or cook in the weekends when I worked in Holland cos I left the house at 6.15 am and returned at 7 pm. Not inspired to cook one thing at all after such days.

Now I spend months on end at the retreat, DS had to learn to shop, cook and clean. He´s doing pretty well on his own and even cooks for his poor old maw once in a while.

Would any of this be possible with your family? Cos you seem to have your fair share of work already gal.

I have been doing once-a-week cooking. It's been going pretty well. I do 3 to 5 meals on Wed., put them in the fridge and whenever anyone is hungry, they get out and heat (micro) whatever they want. On Tue of the next week, I freeze in individual serving containers anything that is left. When the freezer starts getting 'full', then I don't cook on Wed and everyone eats out of the freezer. Funny, but making 5 meals all at the same time doesn't seem to take any longer than making one. :) Added bonus.

I was told today, that next week I will be working 12 hours a day. Saturday is a maybe. I just keep thinging McDonalds. I need ideas to feed my family. They will have to make it on their own.11 and 13 year olds can do things with suppervision. Doctor doesn't want 15 year old to use her arm right now. DH is scarry in the kitchen.

One of the first meals my kids learned to make, (before we had to go gluten free) is the meatloaf off of the stovetop stuffing site. It is just meat, eggs and a box of stovetop stuffing. It also calls for ketchup but we usually put in BBQ sauce instead. I used to make up 10 pounds at a time and freeze in different sized loaves and some in muffin sizes for when someone wanted a quick snack.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/no-fuss-meat-loaf/detail.aspx

Thanks for the "footrub" My family is very busy. They do try to help out. I hate that job ,the moto is "this job is your life your family is just a hobby."

Hubby said in 3 years we will be debt free house and all.I do not want to be there that long.

Meatloaf is a good idea. I have very little frezzer space right now. I have a good sized one but it needs cleaned out ,this has not been high on my to do list yet. The kids like to help cook. DH can sorta ,at least he can grill. If it was summer he would just grill every night.

I was going to try the once a month cookbook . need to clean the freezer 1st. Befor this week my hours have up and down.Dh is working 2 part times jobs. All he can find right now.

I have a feeling that when we get the rush orders out they will send us home so they don't have to pay overtime.

Jobs are very hard to find here now.

Sorry I 'm whining. Bad habit.

A dish my family come up with when I was sick was ...

1 bag egg noodles cooked and drained

1 pound of ground beef cooked drain

2 cans of Italian tomatoes (run through the food processer)

2 cups of cheese

Mix needles beef, tomatoes and 1 cup of cheese in 9x13 pan then top with remaining cheese back at 350 for about 20-30 mins until cheese is melted and bubbly

Breakfast is always and option.

I'm sorry... I was gonna pull together some stuff and haven't yet. :(

But I have some good links to share. Print out the recipes and it might help.

Suggestions for DH with lack of cooking skills!

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8964

Tuna? now what?

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14271

80 Crockpot Recipes!

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12930

Crockpot Pizza Meal

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25618

bone weary food

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18295

Pound of hamburger…

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8977

(my favorite... cook up a big bunch of hamburger and bag it for these recipes)

Hang in there... and let us know how everyone's doing! :kissy:

IT"S OVER!! :woohoo: I worked 13 hours yesterday. :faint3: My hands are numb. I am missing part of my fingernail.(ice scraping incident) Not once was dinner macaroni and ketchup. :yuk:

Your ideas were great . Cat , thanks for the links. I am going to use them a lot from now on.

I had to cook Monday. No school ,kids went to farmer friends to help with the cows . I got home befor they did.

Thank you .

Out of curiosity, what was diner those days that you worked such insanely long hours?

Respect tough.

Lasagna- I made it

meatloaf-kids

beef &noodles- noodles made by a local place called Das Duthcman Essenhaus (Amish style ) beef canned locally.

sausage patatoes- sauage, patatoes ,cheeder cheese soup in crockpot

leftovers

I got the noddles at walmart. Can you belive it wm selling local things.I would love to meet at the Essenhaus sometime. :)

Thanks for all the crockpot ideas I don't use it enough.

The thing I like to do best is to bake. I'm reading all the bread making posts.

After working 13 hours I got the leftover leftovers for dinner, but they tried this week so that's ok.

• 1 year later...

Our WM and a few other grocery stores carry Essenhaus, too. I'm sure it's because they are relatively close.

Crockpot was the first thought lasagna or stuffed shells was second but could the kids and/or DH do spaghetti? If you have sauce ready in the fridge, all they would need to do is boil the noodles, reheat the sauce, make a veggie or salad and bread.

Crock Pot Roast: Potatoes (washed and peeled), carrots (washed and peeled) place on bottom of pot in even layers. Add 1 cup of broth and roast, season to taste (I use salt, pepper, garlic and onions). Cook on low for 8 hours. We add mushrooms because DS loves them.

Slow Cooker Roasted Chicken: (serves 4)

1 (4 lb) chicken

1 t paprika

1/2 t dried thyme

1/2 t dried basil

1/2 t Beau Monde seasoning

1/2 t seasoned salt

1/2 t garlic powder

1/2 t freshly ground pepper

1 T olive oil

1. Remove the giblets from the chicken. Remove as much fat and skin as possible. Rinse and drain the chicken; pat dry inside and out with paper towels. Mix all the seasonings with the olive oil to make a paste. Spread a little of the seasoning paste inside the cavity. Place the chicken, breast side up, in a 3 1/2 or 4 qt slow cooker. Spread the remaining seasoning over the top of the chicken.

2. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours (6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours on low), or until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear. Cut into pieces and serve immediately. Or cool slightly, remove the chicken from the bones, and use in pastas, salads, or casseroles. If not using the boned chicken immediately, refrigerate and use within a day or two.

Or bookmark a cooking site for them, print out a few easy things and let them take responsibility.

You're doing plenty of work and chores already my dear.

Don't worry Christy Dh and the kids are helping out more.There are a lot of great ideas offered here and I'm in a rut with what I've been cooking lately.

the week I'm doing the Kaizen event will not be physically hard.Just long boring hours and company will feed me.

Archived