MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What to do with frozen blueberries..

Lavenderflowers

I searched, but couldn't find any good ideas for frozen blueberries other than jam or jelly. One only needs so much jam. Is there a way to dry them? I can't can them as I do not have a pressure canner. Any other ideas would be welcomed. Thanks for any help. :o)

Sorry for the funny post, I couldn't post in the white area so did this in the side bar.

To quote Sam I Am, "Eat them, Eat them, you will see....."

I keep them in the freezer for muffins and pancakes, too. But I've grown up eating them frozen from the freezer, I guess it's from the summer job in the blueberries fields instead of the corn fields. :D What about a smoothie or shake???? :shrug:

Blueberry pie filling or blueberry syrup. You only need a BWB canner,not a pressure canner.

I also make some good blueberry muffins with coarse, raw sugar on top. Makes a nice crunchy topping. My grandson wants blueberry pancakes every time he spends the night, so of course, I have to make them. Shaped like Mickey Mouse, too, naturally. He thinks there is no other way to have blueberries other than frozen.

I also use jam for the filling in homemade cereal bars.

When I dried them I was not happy with the results. You can make fruit leather, too.

Blueberry pie filling or blueberry syrup. You only need a BWB canner,not a pressure canner.

I also make some good blueberry muffins with coarse, raw sugar on top. Makes a nice crunchy topping. My grandson wants blueberry pancakes every time he spends the night, so of course, I have to make them. Shaped like Mickey Mouse, too, naturally. He thinks there is no other way to have blueberries other than frozen.

I also use jam for the filling in homemade cereal bars.

When I dried them I was not happy with the results. You can make fruit leather, too.

Violet,

Would you mind sharing the recipe for the blueberry muffins?

I searched, but couldn't find any good ideas for frozen blueberries other than jam or jelly. One only needs so much jam. Is there a way to dry them? I can't can them as I do not have a pressure canner. Any other ideas would be welcomed. Thanks for any help. :o )

Sorry for the funny post, I couldn't post in the white area so did this in the side bar.

Yum !! Blueberries !!

Put in hot oatmeal ...wonderful !

Blueberry Pie

Blueberry cobbler

Zucchini bread. really. i put a cup of blueberries in place of raisens It is very good.

I do agree with Violet, dried are not so yummy.

I dry & store them, then drop a handful in oatmeal or grits as they heat or re-constitute them in a little hot water for muffins, pancakes, smoothies and syrup. Dh like to mix them with vanilla ice cream too.

Thank you all for the replies. I need to get them out of the freezer as I will need room in a couple months for the garden.

I have maple syrup for making the blueberry syrup. I need to get the info for canning the blueberries without a pressure canner. That was good to know.

Smoothies - yeah, leather - sounds good, baked goodies - I can try, but I am not a baker, and dried. Again, many thanks for the ideas. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

Blueberry Muffins, Blueberry Pancakes, Blueberry Cobbler. I love the syrup.

Blueberry Muffins

1 egg

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup milk

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup blueberries

Wet into Dry. 400F 25m makes 12.

Easy Cobbler

1 stick butter

1 cup flour

1 cup sugar

1 cup milk

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 can fruit in juice or 2c fruit

Melt margarine in dish. Mix batter and pour over. Pour fruit (juice and all) over batter. 350F 45--50m.

Cheryl

• 3 weeks later...

Blueberries Vol-au-Vent

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries

3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 tablespoon water

1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest

1 egg

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

3/4 cup milk

1 teaspoon butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 package (10 ounces) Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Shells, prepared according to package directions

Sweetened whipped cream

Directions

Stir the blueberries, 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, water and lemon zest in a 1-quart saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.

Beat the egg in a medium bowl.

Stir 1/3 cup sugar and flour in a 1-quart saucepan. Add the milk and stir until the mixture is smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Gradually stir half the milk mixture into the egg. Return the egg mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the butter and vanilla extract. Place plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pastry cream and refrigerate for 45 minutes.

Spoon 1 tablespoon blueberry mixture into each pastry shell. Top with 1 tablespoon pastry cream. Repeat the layers. Top with the remaining blueberry mixture and pastry cream. Garnish with the whipped cream.

• Blue Berry Sorbet
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup water, preferably spring water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 pints (about 2 pounds or 6 cups) fresh-picked blueberries, preferably organic, rinsed and patted dry
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 large egg white, preferably farm-fresh (optional)
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, water, and salt. Cook, stirring, until the sugar and salt have dissolved, about 3 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.

In a blender, purée the blueberries with the syrup and lemon juice until very smooth (you may need to divide this into several batches if your blender is not extra-large). If desired, strain through a fine-mesh sieve for a smoother texture. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.

Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Add the egg white, if using, during the last 2 to 3 minutes of churning. If making the ice cream cake , immediately pack into the pan. Or store, tightly covered, in the freezer.

Variation: Blueberry-pomegranate sorbet:

Replace 1/4 cup of the water with pure pomegranate juice (we recommend either Pom Wonderful or Knudsen's 100% Pomegranate Juice).

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/vie...0#ixzz0kaFYBqcK

I know this is too late but.................................

We dyed some Easter Eggs with some, Do it every few years.

Also used onion skins, beets, spinach and tumeric to get our pretty pastel colors.

BUT -

we have to buy white eggs from the store when we do this as the brown ones just don't work. Asked the chicken to 'try' and lay a few white ones - but they just gave us brown? LOL

:AmishMichaelstraw:

I just made blueberry scones using Sandra Lees recipe from the food network. They use biscuit mix and were very good.Used the last of them as Strawberry shortcake,Yummy! Next time I would use a cup of Frozen berrys (the recipe calls for 1/2 cup) and I also would sprinkle the top with splenda or sugar.

Archived