MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Frugal bean meal ideas!!

So money will be tight for the next few weeks and I'm looking for some frugal, bean based meal ideas. They can have meat but it won't be much. I'd also like them to be reasonably healthy as I'm doing weight watchers. Here are the few ideas I've had-

Burritos-beans, homemade tortillas, peppers

Tomato/bean soup (this is more for me at lunch)

Chli with beans/TVP/Peppers/Corn

Pasta with sauce/TVP/Peppers

Pizza-homemade dough/tomato sauce/peppers/whatever meat I can scrounge up

**I can also add some homemade bread to any ideas to make it a bit more filling for my husband, I have a bread maker and plenty of ingrediants for bread**

Can you tell I've got lots of green peppers on hand?? I took every last one from the garden!! Anyway any ideas are welcome!! I have most basic things, lots of beans (black beans, black eyed peas, brown lentils, small red beans, lima beans, green split peas). Thansk!

**I can also add some homemade bread to any ideas to make it a bit more filling for my husband, I have a bread maker and plenty of ingrediants for bread**

Reference the bread question I have found for a dense heavy loaf use hard red wheat. Hard white wheat makes a lighter loaf. You can combine both to get the density you want. To add fiber, taste and density to a loaf we always add 9 Grain Cracked Cereal that we get from Rainy Day.

cajun style red beans and rice or gumbo would be easy and have little meat in them you can get recipes off the internet

PEABURGERS

1 can non-green peas or beans, mostly drained (try pink, brown, yellow, or white)

1 large onion, finely chopped

2 biscuits' worth of bread crumbs, or (better) cornbread crumbs. I don't mean bread ground up to look like coarse meal, but stuff you can tell what it was.

1 or 2 large mild peppers, seeded and diced

as much Parmesan as you can afford for this (1/2 cup?)

Enough eggs or yolks or whites to hold it together (about 1.5 large eggs)

Salt and pepper. Garlic or hot sauce if you like it.

Mix one egg with the bread, then beat in or mash in everything else. Pat out four patties. Fry in bacon grease or sausage grease if possible. DO NOT BURN!

If you need to make five or six patties, add more bread and egg, maybe a little bit of leftover mashed potato. If you have to open a second can of beans, you might as well double the recipe.

BEANIT BUTTER SANDWICHES

For every two sandwiches, run half a cup or less of leftover beans, preferably without barbecue sauce, through the baby food masher or whatever you have to puree them. Smear on toast like peanut butter. These are really, really good with slices of tomatoes or bacon.

BEANIT BUTTER SANDWICHES

For every two sandwiches, run half a cup or less of leftover beans, preferably without barbecue sauce, through the baby food masher or whatever you have to puree them. Smear on toast like peanut butter. These are really, really good with slices of tomatoes or bacon.

I like the sound of this...............................

Do I have to wait until the money is in short supply or can I make it now? LOL

This isn't a bean meal....but, when things are really tight, I start out this meal by melting a bit of butter in pan...then saute dibs and dabs of things i.e. leftover onion dices, diced green pepper, celery. When they are soft, add a can (or leftover) broth and a couple packages of Top Ramen. While this is cooking, I raid the refrigerator for any leftover bits of meat or chicken or spam....dice it up and add to Ramen. When things are almost done, add peas and stir in a couple of whipped eggs. Cook until eggs are done. Add the seasoning packages. It's good with a little cheese shredded on top (if you have a tad bit lurking in the back of the fridge). A salad is good with this!!

What about taco soup?

I also heard of a black bean burger???? I'll check around and see if I can find the recipe...I've never had it but my friend said it was good.

Red beans and rice. I do mine with sausage but when I was growing up Mama didn't have sausage so it was just red beans and rice

I can make a meal off of black-eyed peas or butter beans and cornbread!!! Too bad my kids won't go for it

What about taco soup?

I can make a meal off of black-eyed peas or butter beans and cornbread!!! Too bad my kids won't go for it

mmmmmmm or red beans and cornbread--or hoppin john and cornbread----or black eyed peas and cornbread---or chili and cornbread---or a loaded up baked potato with some great rolls hmmmm i seem to be seeing a theme here!!! :wub:

we actually have more meat less meals than we do with meat--i am super lucky--my dh thinks it is GREAT to have a big pan of fried squash and cornbread--or something similar--we started with meat less meals when the kids were little and we are all pretty used to it now--sometimes i can go a week or more and then i start thinking--wow--i haven't had any meat in awhile--funny what you can get used to :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (ANewMe @ Oct 12 2010, 07:24 PM) we actually have more meat less meals than we do with meat--i am super lucky--my dh thinks it is GREAT to have a big pan of fried squash and cornbread--or something similar--we started with meat less meals when the kids were little and we are all pretty used to it now--sometimes i can go a week or more and then i start thinking--wow--i haven't had any meat in awhile--funny what you can get used to rolleyes.gif

Ahhhh if I knew then what I know now I would have started my kids doing ALOT of things different!!! LOL

We had this at work today. It was so good!

Kidney Beans with Cheese Soup

(from class at Ohio State University – Home Economics House)

3 bacon slices

1 cup coarsely chopped onion

2 cans (1 pound size) kidney beans, drained

1-1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1 can (1 pound 3oz) tomatoes, undrained

1 teaspoon salt (optional)

1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese

Dash pepper

In large skillet, sauté bacon until crisp. Remove; drain; crumble and set aside. Cook onions in bacon fat until tender (10 minutes). Add everything except the cheese and bacon. Cook, uncovered, on low about 20 minutes. Stir in and melt cheese. Serve with bacon sprinkled over top.

Archived