MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thanksgiving Turkey

OK so I got thinking about buying a turkey (frozen) and when it gets unfrozen cutting it all up and canning it.

and cook the bones and whats left to make soup, and soup stock.

THEN they went on sale at 38 cents a pound!

so a 20 pounder is about $7.60 -wow!

SO

anybody ever do this?

Buy a frozen turkey and just cut it up like you were butching it and can it by chuncks and pieces?

If all goes well I may even get more them one so we will have lots of turkey for the winter.

IDEAS?

:AmishMichael2:

Yup, just use turkey exactly like you do chicken. You can even add some chicken flavoring to the water/broth you add to the jars.

At 38 cents a pound... sheesh... we can't get chicken for that here. And you're getting much more meat on a 20 pound turkey for the work you're doing.

:wink (2):

one year we had a ton of turkey left over--i had some fajita mix and cut the leftover turkey up into strips--soaked it in the mix and then lightly fryed the strips to heat them up again--this has become a family fav meal--so now--at the holidays--i buy several turkeys cheap and freeze them for later

Michael-

Since you're in my neck of the woods, I assume that in order to get the turkeys at 38 cents per pound, you have to spend $25. (If not, then I'm begging you to share your source!) In my area the 3 main chain stores have them with the $25 spending minimum: Tops, Price Chopper and Wegmans. I'm not sure about this year but you are usually limited to ones in a certain weight class. Hubby and I just check out in separate lanes so that we can get more than one. We are near the grocery store on almost a daily basis, so we don't have a hard time getting multiples.

We aren't planning to can ours, but we usually get 3 turkeys and just put them in the freezer. One for Thanksgiving, one for Christmas and one for Easter. They never seem to go on sale around Easter, I think because ham is more popular for that holiday.

Michael-

Since you're in my neck of the woods, I assume that in order to get the turkeys at 38 cents per pound, you have to spend $25. (If not, then I'm begging you to share your source!) In my area the 3 main chain stores have them with the $25 spending minimum: Tops, Price Chopper and Wegmans. I'm not sure about this year but you are usually limited to ones in a certain weight class. Hubby and I just check out in separate lanes so that we can get more than one. We are near the grocery store on almost a daily basis, so we don't have a hard time getting multiples.

We aren't planning to can ours, but we usually get 3 turkeys and just put them in the freezer. One for Thanksgiving, one for Christmas and one for Easter. They never seem to go on sale around Easter, I think because ham is more popular for that holiday.

Yup, you are right spend $25.00 and get the turkey for 38 cents. AND who can't spend $25.00 on groceries now adays?

AND

we just got another one.

What we do is every year we wait until they go on sale and THEN shop for what we need to stock up on for the winter. When we hit the $25.00 + mark we check out. Then the next time we are near the store - shop again.

Seeing we spend about $100.00 a month on stuff anyway why not make the most of it,right.

In years past we too left them frozen then took them out on the Holidays to bake and eat but this year we are doing both to save.

Oh, and yes Wegmans. LOL

:AmishMichael2:

Archived