MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ick, lake effect snow

gofish

Yup, we have snow and more snow and more snow.Maybe Wed. the snow will stop only to start up again Thru.

We had machines break down at work. We were down for hours and 7 people were missing today. Long day,but it was not to hard.

Dh is making a Rum Cake for a Christmas party tommrow night. The house smells good.

DD2 is better today.

I made apple pork chops for dinner. It was so good.

The Christmas party tommrow night so I don't have to cook dinner tomrrow.

I hope you all have a great night.

I got the tires on the car today. But it's still rough driving on the country roads when they're so drifted. :( LilDD is hoping for a snow day soon. :grinning-smiley-044:

I kind of just did leftovers for supper. Wish they made a baked chicken scented candle!!! Maybe bacon/cheese??? :happy0203:

I listed my yard sale finds on ebay today and pretty much finished Christmas cards. Leftover turkey pot pie for dinner with a sweet potato custard for dessert. That is about it for today. Hope everyone has had a good day!

SNOW again here too.....................

but I LOVE it ( except for having to drive in it ) like the other day when we had to drive - - - in the dark - - - with it blowing so hard right at the front van lights - - - hard to see where the road was - - - - driving at 20 MPH for mikes - - - no plows out so driving in deep snow!

But other then THAT not too bad? LOL

Way more then 2 feet by this morming but stilll have power. and school is open so poor Lori has to drive to work ( 6 miles luckily) so the (Public) Library is open.

Hope it stops before this Saturday as we are taking a train ride and need to get there on time.

Enjoy your day whatever you have planed!

:AmishMichael2:

No lake-effect snow here, we are to far south of Lake Michigan, but I hear that we are getting some snow maybe Thursday. The kids want some...me not so much. LOL This year I am taking ds#1 2 miles to the bus stop every morning and getting out early in the cold is for the birds. I remember why I am happy not to work outside the home. Dh picks him up on his way home from work. I guess snow would be ok Thursday, dh is off work on Thursday and Friday so he could get out - not nice is it? LOL

Got the Christmas tree up and decorated. Not doing much other decorating. Too much stress to maintain it and I am trying to stay in a joyful holiday mood.

Almost done with a quilt I am making for sale (custom project), almost done knitting dishcloths for the sale basket, maybe going to do a hat or 2 to stick in there and then I am knitting for me and Abby and maybe the boys too :)

Gotta go to town today so Abby can get her 6 month shots......not looking forward to getting out but I think this will be the last time this week until I take the trash on Saturday so that is good. Other than taking Lee to the bus.

Guess I will go get started on my day....get the van warmed up :) I hope everyone has a great day!

Blessings,

Carie

I would gladly trade weather with you, Annarchy! The snow is piling up faster than we can really remove it.

I shoveled last night at 7:30. Hubby shoveled at 5:30 this morning.. I contemplated shoveling at 8 am and then decided that I'd be late for work if I did. One daughter is working today and the other will likely visit a friend without shoveling first. Hubby will get home and shovel again around 4.

They just extended the snowy forcast through tomorrow morning. Lokks like we'll be doing the same thing tonight and tomorrow, too. (sigh)

No snow here, either, thank God! I'm in the south so I don't have to deal with it, hopefully EVER again! However. . .see the end of my note about the snow we will be having for sure! lol!

Have the ever-present laundry to do, and plan to make at least one batch of Christmas cookies. If I have time, I'll be pulling the tall weeds (about 4-6 feet tall!) out where we want to build a storage shed. If I pull them now when they are dead, it will be an easy thing to keep them mowed down next year. We recently put a new roof on our house, and I still have some shingles to pick up and place in the big pile that we'll have someone come and pick up soon. Those things are so heavy! Oy!

DH is off work the next three days! Yes!! I love when he's home and we have time together. He had a phone interview for a new job this morning, and I'm really hoping and praying he gets it! He would be doing the same thing he did when we lived in Wisconsin, and the hours would be much more stable, and maybe we'd even get a weekend together now and again! That would be so awesome! And, I believe the pay would be better, what with salary plus commission, whereas where he works now, it's a straight hourly wage.

Friday night the local elementary school is having their winter festival! The neat thing is that they will be renting a snow-making machine, so the kids will be able to make snowmen and snow angels, have a snowball fight, and just really have fun. It might even last a couple of hours! They'll have fun, and it will all just melt away. I love it!

Good luck to your husband in his job search, Lynnee!

I would love to live someplace warmer. The older I get, the more my body starts predicting all of the weather changes!

The year that Jim Carey did the remake of the Grinch movie, we took our kids down to Orlando at Christmas time. At the Islands of Adventure theme park, they had a Seuss village and they made/imported snow for it. It was the funniest thing to see all of these "southern kids" enjoying snow for the first time in their lives! Our kids just looked at it and wouldn't go near it. We had enough of that at home.

The ironic thing was that the weather in Florida was exceptionally cold. I remember hearing on the news that a homless person succomed to hypothermia in Orlando during our vacation. The temperature hovered around 30 degrees.:sad-smiley-012:

It's still snowing a little bit , but most of the roads are clear now.

Monday I had to go to the next larger town and a 30 minunite trip took over a hour.dry.gif

I leave for work at 4:40 am and sometimes the snow plows have not gotten the roads clear by then.I would love to be a stay at home Mom and bad roads make me want to be home even more.

My kids would rather have a school delay.That way they can sleep in and don't have to make up a snow day.

I stayed home today... The snow is coming down so fast that we cannot keep up with it. None of my clients would have come in for appointments anyway. We have been shoveling around the clock. With 5 adults (brother in law lives next door), you'd think that we'd be able to put a dent in it. It is predicted to continue through tomorrow. Another storm is due to arrive sometime this weekend...Did I mention that we've broken one push broom and a shovel trying to clear all of this away?:banghead:

Yup, themartianchick... it's supposed to hit us first, then continue your way. After all this "lake effect" snow, we're supposed to end up with at least 11 inches. :(

it is getting so deep here (close to 3 feet) that we had to dig paths so we can get to the bird feeders, the wash house (cellar), greenhouse , etc.

At least it has not been too cold or windy most of the time we are out there with shovels and my Amish snow plow!

IF we had a barn I would be thinking maybe its time to run the rope so I could find my way back to the main house. LOL

They say we willget a break on Sat. before more snow Sun. night. Thats good as we are going away on Sat. on a road trip and can't miss it!

:AmishMichael2:

I've been watching the weather and seeing all the snow you all are getting. Good grief, it's going to be a long winter for you if you don't get a thaw sometime.

Our community Christmas party is Sat. and a blizzard has been being spoken of all week but now the weathermen are backing down a little. I sure hope we don't get it. They weren't talking alot of snow but horrendous winds would make whiteouts inevitable.

Hubby and brother in law shoveled again this morning. It is supposed to let up later today. I am working from home today. I really don't like being outside in the cold. This morning, I had to shovel the back yard area to get to the carriage house (chickens) and the quail cages. Between the actual snowfall and the blowing, it looked like another 8 inches since I shoveled yesterday evening. The firewood delivery is due to arrive sometime tomorrow and the entire driveway will need to be clear for that. It looks as though there is at least a foot and a half in some areas of it. After I broke the shovel yesterday, I gave up shoveling that area because the snow was so heavy. I figured that hubby could use the snowblower. Unfortunately, the blower has a flat tire and is off the rim. He is trying to fix the tire at work today. At this point, the only bright spot in all of this is that we have a new shovel! (God, please don't let me break this one, too! :pray:) Brother in law already broke the replacement pushbroom that was purchased yesterday!

I've been watching the weather and seeing all the snow you all are getting. Good grief, it's going to be a long winter for you if you don't get a thaw sometime.

Our community Christmas party is Sat. and a blizzard has been being spoken of all week but now the weathermen are backing down a little. I sure hope we don't get it. They weren't talking alot of snow but horrendous winds would make whiteouts inevitable.

I heard this morning that Sunday's storm may bring both snow and sleet which will make a lot of things difficult. The sleet can cause power lines to snap, though that doesn't happen around here often. Al Roker went to college in this area. He has been giving us regular "shout-outs" about all of the snow that the area has been receiving. I wish he'd sed us some better weather to shout about!:buttercup:

Snow and freezing drizzle are in the forecast for this weekend. Freezing drizzle on top of the snow we have is not going to be fun.Than add more snow on top of that.

Nasty.

:AmishMichael2: I hope you enjoy your trip and don't get snowed in.

Archived