MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Australian floods

SueC

The last few weeks has seen many parts of Australia suffer from flooding. Major supply roads are cut to north Queensland, many towns are cut off and likely to remain that way for a while. But the nightmare got worse yesterday when a flash flood ripped through 2 communities with just a few minutes warning, killing at least 4 pedestrians with more pedestrians and people in cars missing.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/8623826/flash-floods-strand-people-on-rooftops/

there is or was a link at the top of the page to a video of the flash flood, the force was incredible. Toowoomba is a large town at the "top of the range"

Please pray for all the flooded areas of Australia - there has been suggestions that some communities will take years to get over the damage and devastation caused.

Adding my prayers, as well...

This terrible situation should be viewed as a major warning to all of us that this could be in our back yards, rather in Australia. While we spend a lot of time prepping for a lot of different scenarios, flooding is particularly scary because we would be forced out of the cozy nests that we've built for ourselves. It really could come down to having to make a run for it with just the few possessions that we can carry in our vehicles.

I cannot imagine the depth of emotion that these displaced people must be feeling.

It really could come down to having to make a run for it with just the few possessions that we can carry in our vehicles.

I cannot imagine the depth of emotion that these displaced people must be feeling.

The floods in Toowoomba were so quick that people walking down a dry street were swept away, there was no time to grab anything.

the extent of these floods from Rockhampton in the north to where we are - about 1000 kms of flood waters and it goes inland possibly 300Km? at the moment Brisbane city - the largest city in Queensland is going under. There are no open roads north south or west of Brisbane and sea to the east. alot of the areas under water are small crop areas, dairy farms, can you imagine what the prices of food are going to be like after this?

Latest news - 10th confirmed death from yesterdays inland tsunami, a 4 yr old swept out of rescuers arms. Another 78 missing.

there are now 80 towns/communities flooded, some for the second time in as many weeks

I really wish that the US media would cover this ongoing tragedy more. It is mentioned on the evening news, but I haven't been able to find consistent coverage. Our media is wrapped up in the Arizona shooting, right now. For me, that shooting story is done, though it is tragic. My prayers will continue for Australia.

I found this article on the Christian Science Monitor website. There are also some links to photos of the disaster.

What's the primary cause of the Australia flooding, which now covers an area the size of France and Germany combined and has caused an estimated $6 billion in economic damage? The La Niña ocean-atmosphere phenomenon in the Pacific.

http://www.csmonitor...tralia-flooding

I read that now there are 43 missing in Brisbane, that they know of. And many, many homes threatened and flooded. This just continues. :(

**Still praying for the people of Australia.**

Heartbreaking story... a brother afraid of the water himself insists the rescuer save his younger brother first, and is swept away to his death. :sad-smiley-012:

God, please be with these people and help them in such a time of great need.

:pray:

~~~~~~~~~

Australian teen gives up life for brother

Published: Jan. 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM

TOOWOOMBA, Australia, Jan. 13 (UPI) --

An Australian teenager who insisted rescuers save his younger brother first died with his mother when they were swept away by flood waters.

Donna Rice, 43, and her sons, Jordan, 13, and Blake, 10, were trapped in their car Monday by a flash flood in Toowoomba, about 80 miles west of Brisbane, the Sydney Morning Herald reported. Warren McErlean found the family standing on the roof of the car.

Jordan told him to take Blake first, McErlean said later. He was able to get Blake to safety, although it was a near thing, but the water pulled Rice and Jordan away as they tried to hold on to a tree.

John Tyson, Rice's longtime partner and the boys' father, said Jordan was afraid of the water.

"I can only imagine the fear coursing through his body," Tyson said.

McErlean came to his house while he was out and talked to his brother, Tyson said.

"Apparently he's pretty cut up about not being able to get Jordan and Donny, but he tried his a--- off," Tyson said.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2011/01/13/Australian-teen-gives-up-life-for-brother/UPI-13541294959741/

A buddy says:

[Queensland] is the main supply of fruit, veg, milk and cattle to the whole of Australia. Lots of farmers have lost everything along with people who are unable to get flood insurance ... So I'm expecting that the cost of living it going to go through the roof. Already to buy broccoli last week was $3 now it's $13.

This terrible situation should be viewed as a major warning to all of us that this could be in our back yards, rather in Australia. While we spend a lot of time prepping for a lot of different scenarios, flooding is particularly scary because we would be forced out of the cozy nests that we've built for ourselves. It really could come down to having to make a run for it with just the few possessions that we can carry in our vehicles.

In 07 daughter and I had to be rescued in a boat from our home. Many people in Texas lost their homes in that flood. I really feel for the Australians going thru this right now and pray for them.

Archived