MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gluten free?!

I just came across ( through earthclinic.com ) a possible resolution to my DHs hand tremors that have plagued him since he was a young child. The problem may be gluten allergy. I know I have read about many people going gluten free but never really paid attention. It would be wonderful to actually find the cause of his problem rather than just treating the symptoms as he has since I have known him.

He has used propranalol when needed and an herbal (specially mixed) tea for years which is expensive but has fairly good results. As we are making much less money than in the past, I was looking for something that I could make personally.

I sure hope this is it and then I will have to learn to grind my own rice and oat flour. Can I do that with an inexpensive manual grain grinder. Guess I can use cornmeal also but with the GMO thing, I'm not to happy about that. Thanks in advance for any input!

Our Pastor's wife and their son both require a gluten-free diet. DH and I usually bring a baked good for Sundays and tomorrow we're making a Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake. It's very yummy and doesn't require any type of flour. Click on the cake name for the website link.

There are also tons of websites that cater to gluten intolerance. Cooking/baking can get a little tricky, but this is now a widely recognized 'condition' and there's a lot of information on the cyber highway.

Give this cake a try...and while you're enjoying it, browse (google) "gluten free"...you may be surprised at what you will find!

Hope these foods will help your DH.

God bless.

I just came across ( through earthclinic.com ) a possible resolution to my DHs hand tremors that have plagued him since he was a young child. The problem may be gluten allergy. I know I have read about many people going gluten free but never really paid attention. It would be wonderful to actually find the cause of his problem rather than just treating the symptoms as he has since I have known him.

He has used propranalol when needed and an herbal (specially mixed) tea for years which is expensive but has fairly good results. As we are making much less money than in the past, I was looking for something that I could make personally.

I sure hope this is it and then I will have to learn to grind my own rice and oat flour. Can I do that with an inexpensive manual grain grinder. Guess I can use cornmeal also but with the GMO thing, I'm not to happy about that. Thanks in advance for any input!

Gluten free can be very daunting, very expensive and very difficult. But, it doesn't always have to be.... although at the outset, the daunting will probably still apply. My father was diagnosed with celiac disease back in early March. It's been a very big learning curve.

So let me see if I can answer a few questions for you (and feel free to PM me with others):

Can you grind your own rice & oat flour? Yes. Rice, however, is rather hard to grind by hand. If you can scrape the funds together, consider an electric grinder that you dedicate to gluten-free. Rice also isn't one of the best grains for GF cooking--not because it's not gluten-free, but because it's not really terribly nutritious, especially white rice. Oats, too, you have to be very, very careful with. Something like 95-99% of all oats are processed on shared equipment with wheat, and are contaminated with wheat gluten due to this.

Alternative grains... there are, according to some sources, six "Super grains". All of them are gluten free. Amaranth, Teff, Buckwheat, Millet, Quinoa and.. uh... I can't remember the last one. Sorghum, I think. I use a lot of buckwheat (which, despite its name is not related to wheat) and amaranth. If you can find a bulk food or amish store around, you can hopefully get some decent prices. (Just be careful if you get bulk from bins--lots of risk of cross-contamination there. Ask for unopened bags) Along with the grains, you will find you have to balance it with some starch: tapioca, potato, corn or arrowroot are the most common.

For pasta, look for Sam Mill's Pasta d'oro. it's generally cheaper than most, holds up the best that I've seen, and while corn, it specifically is NOT GMO.

I don't know if I posted my GF bread recipe on here, but if not, I will. Works pretty good. Hang in there! You can do it, even if you will probably find yourself wanting to throw things across the room at times. You'll also probably be frustrated to know that generic/store brands are often not safe (due to cross contamination issues), while name brands might be. Like Chex is GF (except multi-bran and wheat), but store-brand corn biscuits are not (due to barley malt used for 'flavor').

Again, feel free to PM me with any questions. Welcome to the GF roller-coaster.

Dons country Girl, thanks for the cake recipe! i have garbanzos on my list now.

Paradox, we are taking the next week to give it a try and see if that is even the problem. I am thinking so but I have been wrong a time or two. So if we aren't perfect at it at first, it's ok. We should be able to tell within a week if his tremors diminish. I'm ready to order xanthun gum on ebay but will wait for this trial outcome. I just don't think I can swing the money for an electric grinder but dh might say yes later on. Especially if I make him grind the rice, etc. So thank you for your information! Another challenge perhaps. i'll let you know what happens.

I'm ready to order xanthun gum on ebay but will wait for this trial outcome.

You should be able to find xanthan gum locally. if not, check Bob's red mill or hodsgen mill. HM is the cheapest here, and comes in premeasured one tbsp packets. if you find it under $1/ounce, that's a pretty good deal.

Snapshot, I've had more experience with GF than I care to even think about. As Paradox says it IS a rollercoaster but, it IS doable.

The first caution I would like to make to you is not to expect results within a week. If indeed it is a true gluten allergy then perhaps you will see the improvement you expect, but if it is something connected with celiac disease it may take longer, months even. Do NOT give it up without a three months trial at the least.

The second caution I'd advise is to read labels. Wheat is in many things you would not suspect and goes by several names. Be sure to do your research. Even condiments can contain wheat or gluten.

I had the DNA testing for celiac disease and tested positive though further testing shows I do not have an active form of celiac, probably because I have been cautious for years. My father was suspected of Celiac just before he died but was not tested for it. He had life long problems and it is suspected that at least some of them were caused from the gluten. His doctor advised all of us to be tested. When I had another series of allergy testing two years ago (been severely allergic to what seems like hundreds of things since infancy)they found no "allergy" to wheat or to gluten but they DID find an allergy to gliadin, the protein component of gluten. The problem with that is that a similar protein complement can be found (by different names)in many many grains including rice. Now THAT is a true rollercoaster ride.

Paradox is correct when she says there is considerable cross contamination with gluten (and gliadin) because of the equipment used not only to process the grain but to harvest it as well, not to mention storage too. When I do use flours of any kind I am careful to get it from reputable sources. Bob's Red Mill is fairly reliable. I use some bean flours and grind them myself from dried beans, using my old old old Vita Mix blender which does an excellent job. I have also used it to grind rice flour.

I have an allergy to yeast so am unable to make yeast loaves but most of the gluten free flour will work with baking powder (gluten free of course) to make biscuits. The problem is sometimes with the texture. They are not as cohesive or 'stretchy' as with gluten containing flours. The xanthan gum and sometimes guar gum help with that. Unfortunately they both cause me (as well as many others) terrible diarrhea so I steer clear of both of them. Though they are not a substitute for gluten or even for the xanthan gum, I have found that powdered pectin, finely ground flax seed, coconut flour, or even powdered gelatin (flavored or unflavored) works well in different products to give them a bit better texture. Extra egg yolks, whole eggs, or extra oil sometimes helps too. Whipped egg whites, folded gently into the batter will help give a nice light texture to baked goods. I also use additives like potato or tapioca flour for the extra starch that helps the texture as well.

I find it easier to mix some of my flours ahead of time to make baking faster. You can make your own gluten free biscuit and pancake mixes for convenience.. There are a lot of different recipes on the web, most of which call for the xanthan gum but after a bit of experimenting you will find one that suits you and your DH.

When you try a new recipe, remember to tell yourself and your DH that you are not trying to make it taste exactly like a gluten containing product but are instead creating a totally new food product. It is sometimes the expectation of taste or texture that puts us off to gluten free. I have come to enjoy the challenge. I’ve also learned that “bread” does not have to make a meal. The hardest thing for me in the beginning was not having instant sandwich material. I soon found that a piece of meat or cheese, ’sandwiched’ between two pieces of lettuce or other greens was a satisfactory substitute if I made them small (or even rolled them) to handle easier. In fact, roll-ups are some of my favorite grab and go items, especially with a pickle in the center. Ground nuts make a super pie crust and mixed with ground dried fruit and coconut they make a very nice chewy cookie. Step outside the grain box and you’d be amazed at what you can come up with.

Sorry this is so long but it is such fun to share. I had thought that we had another thread here on Mrs S about gluten free but I can’t seem to come up with it in a quick search. Does anyone else remember this or can find it? I am looking forward to reading about the experience of others as well. We can all learn. I hope this thread is a long one that gives us all something to think about. Thanks for asking Snapshot!! And good luck with your experiment.

:bighug2:

Just wanted to add to the cross contamination. My cousin has a pretty bad case of celiac disease and is on a strict diet. Cross contamination has really plagued him. He and his wife HAVE to have seperate toasters, butter dishes, cutting boards, bread etc. It's almost like they have two kitchens in one. There is a bread you can buy but it is very expensive. http://www.celiac.com/glutenfreemall/bread-sandwich-bread-c-22_79.html The papers used in a store deli, to pick up the meat can cheese before putting it in the little bags, has gluten in it. He found out the hard way that his vitamins had it too.

Hi Miki,

I was diagnosed with celiac disease several years ago.

I really like this website http://forums.glutenfree.com/

check out their Testing and Diagnosis info http://forums.glutenfree.com/diagnostic-amp-technical-info-f24.html

and the Gluten Free Diet Bookcamp info http://forums.glutenfree.com/viewtopic.php?t=1309

If you want/need a diagnosis from a doctor for celiac disease (some people do to have an official diagnosis in their medical records), he needs to be tested before going on a gluten-free diet. My doc diagnosed me with blood work. I've heard other docs use blood work and biopsies (I can't think of the name of the scope right now, but it's the one where they put the scope down your throat). There's good info on testing on the website I've linked above.

Being gluten-free isn't just a diet change, it is a lifestyle change. Cross-contamination is extremely important. Because things like flour can be in the air, we don't bake or used any gluten-y mixes in our house. We have a mixed house (I'm gluten-free; DH is not). Any thing in the kitchen that is plastic, non-stick, wooden, cast-iron has to never come in contact with anything gluten for it to be safe for me (regardless of washing). Basically, if it's porous, we have a dedicated gluten-free one.

There's more and more gluten-free products available. Most of the Chex cereals are now Gluten-Free. That was huge for the gluten-free community.

Labeling---companies do have to list if one of the 8 major allergens are in a food product (wheat is one of them), but not for gluten. Wal-Mart's Great Value products that are gluten free have that written on the label. Kraft is one of my favorite food companies because their policy is to list gluten as wheat, rye, barley and oats clearly in the ingredient label. Unilever also doesn't hide it. I'm noticing more of their products listing Gluten Free on the label, too.

One of the tough things, though, is that the because the FDA hasn't defined what "Gluten-Free" actually is ( :buttercup: yeah, I know!!) there's no legal definition of what that means. Right now, the FDA is considering allowing up to 20 parts per million of gluten in a product and it to be labeled gluten free. I think that's too high.

Good Luck and if there's anything you need help with, let us know!

That's a lot to "digest"! :sHa_sarcasticlol: DH just wants to be able to functon normally. He definitely will do what it takes and I can't imagine us eating and cooking differently, so I'm in. If he can't have bread in order to have steady hands then bread is out. Thanks you all for your input and I will check out all links. DH says he won't whine about how anything tastes so it should be easier for me to experiment.

A quick note here. I was diagnosed celiac in 1988, and have learned more than I ever wanted to know with kids who were also highly allergic to many common foods (beef, milk, eggs, chicken, lamb, pork, turkey, non-white fish, soy, cinnamon, corn, etc, etc the list goes on forever), so I have mega experience with foods, additives, etc.

OATS CONTAIN GLUTEN ... unless they are the very high priced special "gluten-free oats" (of which I am highly suspicious). Also, many manufacturers use a product called WHEAT STARCH, claiming it is safe. For some it may be, but for many it isn't.

Even with all the restrictions on food in this household we still eat well, varied and tasty. It can be done, just don't get disheartened, and try, TRY, TRY. :eclipsee_Victoria:

DD is gluten free for two years now .. it's been a challenge for her, but she stands her ground and does well. I want to try to stock up on her behalf and as I'm inventorying my preps I find gluten free is a huge whole!! So many of the GF products are so expensive and come in small packages. What are some of you storing, and where do you get it in bulk ... or can you get it in bulk??

One of the tough things, though, is that the because the FDA hasn't defined what "Gluten-Free" actually is ( :buttercup: yeah, I know!!) there's no legal definition of what that means. Right now, the FDA is considering allowing up to 20 parts per million of gluten in a product and it to be labeled gluten free. I think that's too high.

Yeah.... I got some Gas-X prevention the other day. Was looking at the package later on, and it says "Contains Wheat", then right after that "Gluten-Free (under 20ppm)"... I'm thinking those are mutually exclusive statements.

OATS CONTAIN GLUTEN ... unless they are the very high priced special "gluten-free oats" (of which I am highly suspicious). Also, many manufacturers use a product called WHEAT STARCH, claiming it is safe. For some it may be, but for many it isn't.

As I understand it, the oats, themselves, don't contain gluten, but the vast, VAST majority go through the same, shared equipment with wheat, so cross-contamination is a virtual given. On the other hand, oat-intolerance is also reasonably common in those with celiac, so those folks can't even have GF oats.

That's a lot to "digest"! :sHa_sarcasticlol: DH just wants to be able to functon normally. He definitely will do what it takes and I can't imagine us eating and cooking differently, so I'm in. If he can't have bread in order to have steady hands then bread is out. Thanks you all for your input and I will check out all links. DH says he won't whine about how anything tastes so it should be easier for me to experiment.

I have a great bread recipe. bread doesn't have to be out! :) Heck, GF bread is, in many ways, simpler to make... there's no kneading involved! Add ingredients, mix well, put in greased pan (use a GF spray!), let rise, bake. We mix sets ahead of time with all the dry ingredients, utilizing 1/2 gallon stand up ziploc bags. Add liquids and yeast, mix right in the bag. No mess, really, super simple. Granted... you don't get the 'joy' of punching down the bread, but we all have to make some sacrifices. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have been pretty gluten free as well as dh and had my first noticable difference today. My knees do not hurt when walking up steps!!!! DH still having withdrawal symptoms as he chose to go off a low dose propranolol as well as gluten and sugar. He already is off caffeine. He has had headaches and sugar cravings. His positive is that he used to eat tums like candy--several a day and he isn't sure when he had the last one! And no more exhaustion! The propranolol just made him so tired as he did not have high blood pressure to start with. His tremors seemed a little worse at first and now are getting a little better and he feels much better physically.

Paradox--would still like your bread recipe please when you aren't writing your story. Don't want to take you away from that!!!!

Archived