MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Reviving old Jiffy Mix?

I got a good deal on Jiffy cornbread mix last year and bought a good amount. I have a few boxes left and it is out of date. The cornbread still tastes good, but it doesn't rise like it should. I should probably know this, but can I revive it by adding baking powder, baking soda and salt? I hate to throw it out. Anyone have experience with this?

OK, here is the thing........................

How much DID you pay for them each?

IF you have to spend more money ,a.k.a. Adding something to 'maybe' make it eatable?

Maybe you are better off just pitching it out and remember next time to use it up sooner.

Sometimes the hard leasons are the one we don't want to be in class for?

:AmishMichael2:

Fullpantry, I was hoping for better news too. I really like the Jiffy cornbread mix and have some expired boxes too. I wouldn't mind adding some baking powder to it but not if it isn't going to taste good. Guess I'll pitch it. I'll try it after Thanksgiving first though. I'm eating lite this week.

Spoon bread? Sorry, but I'm kinda a novice. Can you give directions? I'll probably feel real dumb once I hear them.

Using it as breading is a great idea!

Ended up paying about 10 cents for each box, so it won't be the end of the world if I have to toss a few boxes, but I just hate to be wasteful.

One cup Jiffy Mix, two cups milk. Cook together for about five minutes, stirring often. When it looks like a thick, stiff batter, throw in half a stick of butter. Beat two eggs while the butter goes in, then stir them in. Then dump into a mixing bowl and beat for five minutes. Beat a little longer if the Jiffy Mix is older, to give extra fluffiness from the eggs. (Might want to use larger eggs or even throw in an extra white, if the mix is old.) Pour into greased, heated skillet and bake at 350 for twenty minutes or so. It should brown and look like cornbread. Only you serve it with a spoon.

Edited by Ambergris

I use my old Jiffy corn bread mix to make corn pudding. (works with new too)

I cup sour cream, 2 eggs, I can cream style corn, 1 can drained whole corn, 1/2 cup melted butter, and 1 box Jiffy corn bread mix. Beat it all together and put it into a greased casserole dish. Bake 350 for apprx 45 minutes. Sometimes takes longer so depending on the size of the casserole. You can add chopped onions, peppers, and/or celery and stuffing spices for a different taste.

:yum3:

:bighug2:

• 5 years later...
  • 6 years later...
On 11/20/2011 at 6:54 PM, Jeepers said:

Fullpantry, I was hoping for better news too. I really like the Jiffy cornbread mix and have some expired boxes too. I wouldn't mind adding some baking powder to it but not if it isn't going to taste good. Guess I'll pitch it. I'll try it after Thanksgiving first though. I'm eating lite this week.

It won’t make you sick unless there are weevils in the mix. Had 1-2 tsp of baking powder to the mix and it should be fine.

id just taste the mix itself to see if it tastes ok before I add the egg

• Like 1