MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sinus/Allergy relief

In looking for things for the boys hike this summer, I ordered some honey ginger powder thinking it would be honey flavored with a touch of ginger. It turned out to be a ginger tea with honey and sugar as a sweetener. My sinuses were hurting one day to the point of making me sick to my stomach so I decided to drink some. Within a little while, my sinuses were better. I figured it was the med I had taken finally kicked in. A couple of days later, the Herbal Anitbiotic book by Stephen Harrod Buhner I ordered came in. The section on ginger said it was almost as good of a cough medicine as codeine and a very effective antihistamine and expectorant.

I've tried it a couple of times and it's worked for myself and ds. This past weekend we went hiking, and I found out I'm allergic to cotton wood as is ds. We came home and I took the usual Benydryl along with some herbal nasal spray after rinsing my sinuses and still felt miserable after a couple of hours and a nap. I remembered the ginger tea and with in an hour was as fine as could be. DS was coughing all last week from allergies, and I couldn't get it to go away, until I remembered the tea. He got up with a little coughing this am, but I gave him the tea and he left cough free.

The tea I have is http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Ginger-Honey-Crystals-Pack/dp/B002SWB73C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334581160&sr=8-2. It's good hot or cold and seems to work either way.A word of warning, it does have a bit of a bite until you get used to it. I think later today, I might make some ginger ale with it by dissolving it in a little water first and then adding sparkling water. It's definitely going in to the boys backpacks in place of allergy and cough meds. It's much lighter and works. I can also put it in ds's first aid kit for Boy Scout since it's not a drug.

I'm definitely going to stock up on the instant tea, but I'm also going to find somewhere to plant some edible ginger that the dogs won't have a territory dispute over it.

Be careful of 'natural' things when you are sending them with a child to school or whatever. A number of years ago now, a kindergarten child was suspended for 'passing out drugs'...... <_< Which turned out to be.... Sharing his lemon drops with his best buddy. A brand of lemon drops that wasn't recongnized by teacher or admin. Organic lemon drops, actually.

But they did not recind his suspension.... :banghead:

{can you spell homeschooling? ]

Just make sure it remains in the original packaging.

And thanks for the tip...cuz this is a BAAAAAD allergy year where I hail from. I have some instant ginger tea in granular form. Available in Asian markets. Yes, has a bite! Hmmm, mix with ginger ale, huh? :thumbs:

MtRider :mornincoffee:

Ooops! Bad wording. He took it before school. I don't think he would have a way to make it at school.

I really wonder what schools think sometimes and why they can't admit when they are wrong or make allowances when they are obviuosly needed. I just read a story about a boy that failed because he missed 16 days to take care of him mom taking chemo.

At Boy Scouts they often add flavoring to their water, so that won't be a big deal.

I looked at our local Chinese store and I think they had everything but the ginger tea. I'm going to go back and look in case they were out of it.

To make ginger ale, I'm going to add sparkling water. I'm not sure how it would be mixed ginger ale. Some are so weak though, it might just make it sweeter.

• 7 months later...

Interesting! I have allergies pretty much year 'round. So I read this with great interest, given that my nose was stuffy.

I buy herbs and spices in bulk, so I have a lot of ginger. I decided to make my own ginger tea today to see if it helped my allergies. I did a bit of Googling to see what recipes I could find. I tried 1-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 tablespoon honey, and about 2 cups boiling water in my big "soup" mug. I stirred til dissolved and let it steep for about 10 minutes. It is strong! But I notice that my nose feels much better! I think I'm going to start making ginger tea as a regular part of my routine!

And, I think I better buy more ginger! Suddenly, a new use has come into my life!

I think it would be tasty with milk too.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

:pc_coffee:

I am just starting to lear about essential oils. I did not think they could work, but I tell you, they have been helping ! Especially lavender and peppermint rubbed on my cheeks and forehead. Think I will order some larger bottles. My understanding is they are not all created equal, but I would think that any would be better than none. I am using doTerra brand. You order them from a distributor. Not cheap, but I think worth storing some.

Be careful putting straight peppermint oil on your skin. I've read that it can burn. Actually what I read is for soap makers who use it in their soap making. It can burn 'delicate' areas.

I did a search and found the following link. http://www.livestrong.com/article/113314-effects-peppermint-oil-humans/

Just be sure the oil is diluted in "a 20-percent-strength solution" before putting it on your skin.