MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning question

Spaghetti sauce is one of those recipes that is ones own creation.

Salsa is too for that matter. As long a the general rules for canning

contents are followed sure you can as many other do can spaghetti sauce

using store bought sauce or paste as well as store bought vegetables.

Some day you may be blessed with your own garden and you will notice

a marked difference! But until then enjoy your own canning!!

Sorry, Twilight, but that is not safe to do !! You have no idea of the ph of your own sauce, nor the density. Both of these are major factors in home preserving. Even I don't make up my own recipes and can them and I have been instructing safe food preservation for years. I leave that to the scientists.

I know what you do in your own kitchen may be one thing, but we need to instruct others to not take chances. Darlene only wants us to post what is USDA guidelines. You can check with her on this.

Not to argue but if you are only concerned by ph you would have to check the ph on each tomato!

Even following the Ball canning recipes whether you are using store bought , farmers market, or home grown the ph could vary greatly. Especially when there are over 200 - more like 3000 different tomatoes, different in acidity and grown on a world of different soil types and practices!

This is why pressure canning of tomatoes is now the recommended procedure.

I have to ask, why are you re-canning commercially canned tomato products? If you are starting with commercial products anyway, why not just store the items you need for sauce separately and throw them together when you are cooking dinner? Or, why not make up a big pot and freeze the sauce in appropriately sized smaller containers? Why go to the expense and time to re-can something? Personally, I've found that I'm much more likely to use my home canned items if they are basic, multi-purpose foods, like ground beef or unseasoned chopped tomatoes.

Botulism is something none of us ever wants to experience! :behindsofa:

I greatly appreciate Violet's willingness to share her knowledge and answer our many, many questions here! :bouquet:

Another thing to consider about info that goes AGAINST the safe, up-to-date info Violet shares.....is that if someone read those UNSAFE practices/recipes here, followed it and got sick, or even died....well, that'd be a lawsuit. Botulism can be deadly!

And to be very clear, I don't in any way, shape or form think that Violet, the USDA or the UGA food preservation website recommends doing things a certain way to avoid a lawsuit. It's to do things in a safe manner so we DON'T get sick/die.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

Twilight, this is why all tomatoes are acidified before canning with either bottled lemon juice or citric acid crystals. There are a few recipes that are pressure canned without adding acid, but they have also been highly tested in labs. They test when the product is canned, then months later on, too. They are run through all sorts of scientific tests in the labs before the recipes and methods are printed for the public.

This won't happen if you make up your own recipe and can it. There are plenty of great recipes out there for use to use when home preserving our foods.

There are still some recipes and guidelines for tomatoes in a boiling water bath canner, but plain tomatoes take 85 min. along with the added acid. Most feel now that pressure canning is the preferred method. Also in pressure canning the added acid is necessary.

Two things I love when it comes to canning:

1: Violet!! :wub:

2: Ball Blue Book! :feedme:

As a still-novice canner, I know that if I follow the recommendations of both of the above, what I can will be safe and yummy! :)

Echoing Violet's comment and concerns, I have to toss in my few cents about tomato sauce.

I freeze it. I add my home-canned tomatoes (done by BBB standards) and I sometimes will use a store-bought base.

For me, it all depends on the purpose. Since my DH is adverse to spaghetti sauce, I just can the tomatoes for multi-purpose use. :) We live in a small bungalow and I have to save space. :)

That's the great thing about Mrs S - you always learn something new. :):eclipsee_Victoria:

Is there a new Ball Blue Book out or is the most recent the 100 Anniversary Edition?

100 Anniversary Edition is copy right 2009

Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving is 2006

I just want to make sure I'm not missing the new book.

Ah, the days I wish I had a few people on speed dial. LOL!

Edited by Jori

Ahhh, I feel the love ! Thanks, and I love you guys, too !!

Most salsa recipes are done in the BWB canner still. With tons of added acid. I do have a pressure canning recipe I use. You can pressure can any BWB recipe for salsa, though, if you use the right processing time. Just use the same as the BWB time and it will be safe. I know, not that efficient, but if you are really concerened, you can do this.