MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Moisture arrives in the arid West

Mt_Rider

.....of course at MY ELEVATION, it came in the form of 7" (and counting) of SNOW and ZERO degrees at 8 am. :frozen: But :amen: THANKFUL for moisture of any kind. No wind, which means it's a lot easier to deal with.

Koa's first snow (except for the sleety mess that was coming down the night we arrived from balmy Georgia. We've had not-one-drop of moisture since late Oct. :o Predictably, Koa LOVES the snow. No hesitation....plows right in. Tearing around while I tried to catch her somewhere within the photo frame. :lol: She's hilarious. Our bundle of exploding joy. :happy0203:

Anyone else within the range of this western bit of snow? :band2:

MtRider :santa:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Just dreary and chilly. Bundled up and took Abby for our hike in the park/woods...then some more sorting at the Little House. Glad those of you who need the rain are getting some...but we could use some "rain" ... not that other stuff! We don't usually see the real "winter" blends until late December, January & February.

it sounds as though Koa is a snow pup at heart :)

moisture is a good thing, esp. after the fires, hopefully you all will get enough to prevent that next year (and the rest of this).

we've had a smidge of snow that melted away, now just some drizzle here and there. getting cold at night for some slick spots

Yesterday we had your heat, CGA, and that cold front moving in, has dropped the temps into the high 60's today. Heads up, they are giving us frost warnings for later this week, but here in this desert bowl we live in, we were real close to freezing this morning around 35 degrees.

Yeah, a big WIND preceeds this weather system and it's heading east towards some of y'all. You've been warned. We're 20 BELOW ZERO with clear starry skies tonite. We've had a low of 10 the past two nights. A drop in tempuratures, indeed!

MtRider ---new furnace working fine :campfire:

Where'd the sun go!? Temps took a huge tumble yesterday afternoon, and now it's brrrrrrr outside, like 20's according to our thermo that hangs on a carport support beam. Nothing wet, but it's definitely cold!!! Isn't supposed to last long though according to weather forecasters. It's this kind of weather than makes Philbe get the "hitch-itch" and want to go spend some time where it's warm!

Edited by Philbe

We finally got a dusting of snow last night. It won't last long though. It is supposed to be in the upper 40's the rest of the week and get up to 50 Fri.

Every time I get that stuffy feeling I hope it's the dry air from the furnace and not a cold coming on. So far, so good. I really don't want to be sick this year. I still have too many empty canning jars to fill.

We finally got a dusting of snow last night. It won't last long though. It is supposed to be in the upper 40's the rest of the week and get up to 50 Fri.

Every time I get that stuffy feeling I hope it's the dry air from the furnace and not a cold coming on. So far, so good. I really don't want to be sick this year. I still have too many empty canning jars to fill.

From Philbe...we keep a generous supply of Zicam logenzes on hand (as well as the nasal spray) and pop one in our mouths when we've been out in the cold or wind and our noses or throats feel raspy. Can't hurt a thing! We think it's preventive care on our behalf. Last time we found the logenzes at Dollar Tree for a buck a box and a buck a bottle. Gonna go back and stock up some more. Gave son some of the "syrup" from Zicam when he came down with flu and he now swears by it also! LOL

I'm a believer in Zicam too. I always have it on hand. The same with zinc lozenges. Great minds, huh!

I just noticed the other day that my OTC calcium horse pills tablets have magnesiun and zinc in them too. I didn't even realize I was getting zinc through them.

I bought some occicilium to have in case I start to feel the flu come on.

Well, being a 'prepared person' I also have whole box of other goodies stashed in the closet. :sEm_blush:

A low of MERELY minus 18..... but at least we hit 40 IN THE SUNSHINE. The clouds came over and we dropped to 20 in five minutes. And I'm *trying* to fill the horse water tank. One of these new horses drinks lots of water. I have 350' of hose to bring up to the top of the snow; let the sun warm it; then....and ONLY THEN can I try to run the water down it. If not for solar gain up in the thin atmosphere, I'd never be able to hose-fill the tank in winter.

MtRider ....gonna try again tomorrow after moving one section of hose that was in the shade all day... :shrug:

We had enough solar gain for the water hoses [five of them] to warm up.....then the warer doesn't turn to a slushy before it runs thru to the destination: our horse water tank. That big lummocks horse of mine is tanking on the water. We've never had to fill it every few days like this. Used to get nearly a week. This could be a problem.... :banghead:

But today was warm....enough. Not really warm when a periodic breeze blew across the snowy pastures. They melt slowly, which is good but it means it's not WARM! Least we stayed right at zero for our low last nite. Warms up a LOT faster iffen you aren't coming up outta the 'basement'....

MtRider ----sunset at 4:37 pm..... sooon it will begin lengthening again. :bounce:

Finally got a "little" moisture a day or two ago (see...can't even remember which day it was since it was so little!) but wasn't much and didn't last long. Got a heavy-type mist today, but again, not much. Just enough to "annoy" ya! But reckon we'll take any we can get, however we can get it.