MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Feeling Squirrel-y

So, I went down to the basement this morning to do a load of laundry. Something looked 'off' but I couldn't place what it was. Oh, some of the insulation was hanging down and there were a few chunks on the floor. There was also something that looked like crumbs in some of the other areas of insulation. Uh-oh. Then I look around and see a furry tail hanging down from the ceiling. OMG.

I've been pretty upset today trying to figure out how to clean up the mess and get the dead squirrel unwedged and disposed of. Of course my mind is going overtime. Is it really dead? How many more are down there? How are they getting in? Did they get in any of my food? Are they going to attack me? Was it a boy squirrel and not a pregnant momma? Are they in my walls? Are they chewing my wires? Did it die from eating insulation? I really do not want to deal with this. I think I'm waiting for son to come over for Christmas to help with "the situation." He's in for a big Christmas surprise...ho-ho-ho!

I've had time to get over the initial shock of living with a rodent and not even knowing about it. But this morning things looked a lot different. Sigh.

I went out and got the mail and now I'm on the short list for possible jury duty...again. Last time I didn't get called. Hope my luck holds out this time too.

Oh, and a really helpful household tip I discovered a few minutes ago is...when you buy new drain stoppers for your kitchen sink make sure the new ones hold water before you throw the old ones away. Another trip to Walmart for me today.

Armageddon really isn't looking so bad for me today.

ROFL sounds like you are having one of my days. Had the oil changed in the truck a couple of weeks ago and it started leaking oil woke up this morning to a big puddle of oil under the truck. Hubby missed work to day to deal with it. Turns out they put the wrong oil filter on. Then this morning I locked myself out of our online banking program. Sigh, the world may not have ended but it sure has turned out to be a bad luck day LOL.

And my brand new shoes hurt my feet! Just hobbled in from Walmart. I've been wearing this kind of shoe (Nike) with no problems for 20+ years. Now I'm blistered. :tapfoot:<--------sore foot.

It's 3:35pm here. Is it too early to just go on to bed for the night?

My squirrel was coming in under the kitchen sink and bringing pecans, which it was stashing in odd places thru the house. I blocked it so he can't get into the house, but I think he is still getting in under the sink, just can't go any further. I need someone dependable to get under the house and really seal those spots that I can't reach! I've had several MEN under there but none seem capable of actually sealing a hole.

Thanks all! After the initial shock, things are going better. I just shut the basement door and put a towel in front of it. There is a pretty big space between the floor and the bottom of the door. Not that a towel will keep it/them in the basement and out of the rest of the house, but I figure if the towel gets moved I'm in bigger trouble.

Late last night I heard a terrible commotion going on down there. I tiptoed over to the door and very carefully put my ear to the door to hear where it might be and what it was getting into. I peaked around the corner and down the hall and noticed a bright light outside of my house. Turned out the noise I heard was the snow plow guy shoveling my front walk .

:24:

Dead things shouldn't be laying about, dear Jeepers. It attracts things that can then spread disease. Like fleas, etc.

Do you know how to use chopsticks? If so, use two sticks and pull on tail so that it falls into a big, lined, trash bin below. Wear a mask and raincoat. Dispose of sticks, mask, and whole trash bag....soon! Rinse off raincoat.

Or get son over to do it for you. Take some contamination precautions! Really....don't wait.

MtRider ---rural girl trained to act when it comes to dead things

Edited by Mt_Rider

Yes ma'am, I know you are right. :hug3:

I just have been avoiding doing it. Son came over Christmas and we looked at it and said we'd take care of it later. We didn't. Sigh.

It's one of those out of sight out of mind sort of things. It's really skeeving me out now. I was just hoping it would become a skeleton and...I don't know what. I think I'll get a cheap pair of tongs and try to pull it out into a trash bag son holds under it. It's body is stuck in the insulation with the tail hanging down. I have visions of pulling on the tail and it coming off of the body. :0327:

I have masks, gloves and old disposable clothing. Will get some tongs and...try.

Thank you OOTO! I have often wished a lot of us lived closer together. :kissy:

I'd gladly borrow your DH for a few minutes. We could send him and my son down there to wrangle Rocky while you and I sit upstairs with a cup of something warm and laugh at them down there gagging. :D

(((((Jeepers)))))

One employer used to use those sticky traps, the rat apparently crawled into the wall with the trap and died. Yewwwww, it stunk for a very long time. A couple of years later, we had a leak in the walls, and yes, you guessed it, it started to smell again! That's when they took the wall apart and removed the moldy disgusting mess it had become, along with a couple of others! *Shudder* :yuk:

(((((Jeepers)))))

One employer used to use those sticky traps, the rat apparently crawled into the wall with the trap and died. Yewwwww, it stunk for a very long time. A couple of years later, we had a leak in the walls, and yes, you guessed it, it started to smell again! That's when they took the wall apart and removed the moldy disgusting mess it had become, along with a couple of others! *Shudder* :yuk:

Oh crap.