MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food for backpacking

IF you have the ziplock-type mylar bags ... you might consider a baggie of "spanish rice" that all she has to do is add hot water. Also a bag of oatmeal with brown sugar & cinnamon. How about add water only pancake mix and a small bottle of syrup, add water only baggie with powdered eggs, dehydrated sausage crumbles etc.? Baggies of dried soups are great. Food bars too. Another idea is to have her take a thermos, add her rice or ??? and pour boiling water in it, put the lid on, and let it "cook" while she's hiking. The thermal cooker idea. I'm betting ladies around here will have tons of ideas! LOL

I got her a spam single pack last night and had her try some. I think spam is so-so so I don't think I've ever stocked any.

She said It looked and tasted like cat food.

I know Windmorn had some threads but I couldn't find them either.

Instant oatmeal. You can portion it out in baggies and add raisins to one, minced candied ginger to a second, apples or pear to a third, etc.

Canned spray cheese.

Crackers.

Granola bars.

An unbreakable jar (Nalgene?) and lid that holds about four to six ounces. She can put lentils in water in the morning to let them soak all day. Come evening, she can mash them into a patty to fry or cook them straight--they are very fast cooking when soaked all day.

Nutella.

Tortillas. Lots of tortillas.

You can get peanut butter and almond butter in single serving packets now.

Extra dried onions.

Tabbouleh. Couscous, olive oil, lemon juice (I've used vinegar), dried parsley, a tiny can of sliced or minced black olives. It's better the second day, and if you have any left for a third day, you mash it into the lentil patties.

I like those little disks of red-wax cheese Baby Bell, or something like that.

Sardines.

Bunches of condiment packets--honey, duck sauce, sweet and sour sauce, lemon juice, mustard, mayo, salsa...anything you can gather.

A can of chicken, two and a half chicken-cans of water, a cup of instant rice, and a packet of condiment makes a meal. If the condiment is salsa, you can wrap it all in a tortilla to eat.

Oh she will have a blast. One of ours did this with is best friend when they graduated high school it was their senior trip. HINT: Pack twice as much food as SHE thinks she will need. 12 gallons is a lot of space, use every inch of it.

There are all sorts of quick cook, rehydrate foods out there. Just walk down the isles of the grocery that most of us avoid. You can get her cans of spaghetti o's or raviolis, that small and single serving size. You can get small single serving sizes of veggies.

Trail mix

powdered eggs (Emergency Essentials has a My Choice size can it is 10 oz and has about 24 servings in it for $7)

Breakfast bars, you know the kind I think it is Cheerio's and milk bars

You can buy shelf stable milk in single serving containers

Flat breads and pita pockets so she man make sandwiches

nut butters - I have seen some of these in single serving sizes too. Like 4 to a pack.

nuts - sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, mixed nuts...you can find all of these in single serve bags.

Tuna meals-they come with crackers, mayo and pickle relish

power bars, pop tarts, granola bars,

Beef Jerky, Slim Jims, they even sale buffalo wings and ranch dip in packs like beef jerky.

The jars of dried beef

summer sausages

Last time we went camping I took some little round cheese it was in a net bag and each little serving was individually wrapped. They are about the size of a quarter or maybe a half dollar.

Instant rice and soy sauce, she can toss in a can of chicken.

There are some great breakfast bars and my guys love them they are called Belvita Breakfast Biscuits. I think you can usually find them with the cookies.

DS#1 loves the Atkins meal bars and they don't taste too bad either. He also gets the Marathon Snickers protein bar. It has 21g of protein. Both of them hold up pretty well in lunch boxes in the oil field so they should be ok for her too.

Emerald also makes what my husband calls squirrel food but it is Emerald Breakfast on the Go. It is little packs of nut and oatmeal mix ds#1 loves them he takes them in his lunch.

Go to the camping section at WM they have backpacking meals all you do is add hot water.

You can also get tuna and salmon in pouches. Don't forget the Deviled Ham, and chicken. Those will make quick and each additions to pasta.

You can make your own shake and make pancakes. Just get a couple of squirt bottles and add the mix that only requires water. Send a measuring cup with her. My guys like jelly on their pancakes when we are camping.

Send potatoes with her, she can always have baked potatoes by putting it in camp fire.

Send stuff to make campfire pizzas, cheese and pepperoni and sauce mix. You can buy the small personal size pizza crust that are already cooked. I think they even come with sauce packs.

Don't forget, hard candy for hiking or gum to help keep her mouth moist. Tic Tacs are wonderful and don't take up much room.

Instant or quick cook - grits, oatmeal, cream of wheat - send a a thermos and tell her to add boiling water put the lid back on it, wrap it in a towel and stick it upright in her backpack will help insulate it and come morning she will have a hot meal.

Send powder drink mixes tubes so she can have tang, or gatoraide to drink. I know you can buy Ocean Spray packs and sport drinks packs.

Dry fruit

If she needs a cook set look into this one, it fits in perfect in lunch boxes. She can heat soup, ramen, or make pasta.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-Adventure-Series-Camp-Cook-Set/16784406

When we did a lot of camping I went to the Dollar Tree and get a couple of small containers that had screw on lids and put animal crackers, cheese its, vanilla wafers, and saltine crackers in them so they would not get crushed. I would put them on the bottom of the food tote and then place other food on top.

Another way I saved space was use a plastic tote for all the single serving packs instead of packing them in their original boxes. I would tear off the back panel with the cooking instructions and stick that in tote so if the boys got up before me they could fix their own oatmeal and such. It also help keep the food dry if it rained.

That short of time you can send her some fresh fruits and veggies to start the week on. Carrots and apples hold up pretty good. Bananas may last the week of you buy them green.

Emergency Essentials sales MRE items like peanut butter, crackers and other items individually.

Oh and mom pack a can opener and a lighter. A couple of cans of sterno wouldn't hurt either.

It's amazing how God works. It's been a few days since I checked in, because I've been really busy. I'm preparing for a short backpacking with ds's Boy Scout troop in a couple of weeks and have my notebook beside me because I was just emailing the menu options to one of the new dad's I'm helping out. For those wondering why I'm going hiking with the boys, dd's best friend's brother was ds's best friend and is in the troop and their dad takes the girls. Since the girls are at that age when things start happening to their bodies I decided having a mom around would probably be best.

I've been working on backpack food for going on 2 years now. As a matter of fact, that's how I found Mrs. Sruvival. :) I'll share things I've found.

Introduce freeze dried/dehydrated foods to her system now. Use some in meals you normally prepare. If she goes out and the first time she eats the rehydrated foods is on the trails, she runs the risk of diarrhea on the trail. Diarrhea happens sometimes to people when their system all of a sudden has a large amount of rehydrated foods.

Baggie cooking - Same concept as thermos cooking, but no clean up. You'll need plastic baggies, a cozy (This can be made with the bubble wrap with foil on it. They sell it at hardware stores in the heat/ac vent section. It can be a cozy you make around a 4C ziploc or rubbermaid tall round container with the screw top or just use duct tape and make an evelope a little bigger in the size of your ziplock. I use qt bags for 1 person and gallon bags for up to 4 people. ) Prepare you meal before you leave in an appropriate size baggie and mark with how much water you need. When it's time to eat, put the bag in cozy, boil the water, pour it in and let set about 20 minutes. Perfect to do if you get to your camping spot in the evening right before you set up camp - you're dinner will be done by the time you're set up. It will also stay warm for several hours, depending on outside temps. If your daughter is going in an area with bears this isn't a good option. She should cook/rehydrate all the food you'd normally baggie cook in a pot so it can be cleaned.

Amazon has a stove similiar to the pocket rocket for less than $9. I like it so far and haven't had problems with it, but I haven't used it much. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LUZCQM/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really like the jet boil flash system. It is lighter than the other jetboil systems because it doesn't have an igniter and you need matches or a lighter, but should be carrying this anyway in case the igniter quits working and for firebuilding.

Make sure to send an extra can of fuel. They are usually a lot higher at the stores near trails.

Make sure she practices her meals and using the stove before she leaves.

Fresh fruit is nice, but tends to bruise/smush easily in packs. Freeze dried or dehydrated weighs less and are less susceptible to damage.

Canned food if you don't have to carry it far or in large amounts is ok, but freezed dried/dehydrated is much lighter and you're able to pack more nutrition/calories/food for the same about of weight and space.

Have they told them their pack weight total should only weigh about 20-25% of their body weight?

Get some trash compactor bags and put one in the main part of the pack like a trash bag in a trash can and pack in to it. Twist the top and fold down and do the same with the sleeping bag compartment. It's a cheap/lightweight way of keeping pack contents dry.

Since they are packing in a tote, I assume they are being met along the trail somewhere for resupply from the tote?

I didn't see you mention water purification. What are their plans for water? I love this system. It's the cheapest, lightest weight, smallest and easiest to clean. You can also fix the filter on to other water storage bags and most 20 oz and 2 liter pop bottles. There is another configuration of accessories that you can order with water storage pouches in 3 sizes instead of the adapters.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TZ86M6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The individual size freeze dried food meals I find are high, sometimes don't taste good, aren't enough food and expensive. uThey would be good to get a group together to taste test, then you could go together with some other parents and split the cost of 10# cans and divy them out in portions that would satisfy the kids.

Breakfast

Oatmeal and mutligrain cereals work well. You can add a variety of dried/freeze dried fruits, spices and/or nuts to customize it. I add a tablespoon of chia seeds for extra staying power and to aid in dehydration prevention (chia absorbs water). Most of the multiserving kinds that say cook on stovetop for several minutes will cook using the baggie system.

Pancakes don't cook well on backpack stoves. The ones I've tested have hot spots, even the adjustable flame ones, and they don't cook even and tend to burn in the middle.

Protein bars are heavy, but a good option if you can spare the weight.

Freeze dried scrambled eggs are much better than powdered. Eggs may be too heavy of a meal if they are hiking very far. DH and DS said they did better with the oatmeal/multigrain cereal breakfasts.

Powdered milk measured out in snack size baggies is much lighter than shelf stable milk. Nido in the Mexican section is a good option. Then kinder variety of Nido tastes better and also has a lot of vitamins.

Belvita are good, but we found they crumbled easily. Chewy granola bars seemed to fair better than any of the hard bar/cookie options.

Lunch

Most trail books recommend eat on the go foods such as foil packs of tuna, tuna salad, chicken, sardines, spam, pepperoni, summer sausage,etc.; protein bars; snickers; shelf stable cheeses, crackers, powdered peanut butter (might want to add a small bottle of peanut oil to help the calories since the powdered peanutbutter is fat free), small packs of peanutbutter, nutella, other nut butters. World Market has 2oz size summer sausage and shelf stable cheeses. Most of the laughing cow cheeses are shelf stable as are most waxed cheeses for a short time and as long as the temp isn't too high.

The smart size Ritz packages travel fairly well.

Dinner

Bear Creek freeze dried soups do well with baggie cooking. The other brands don't. Same for the Knorr noodles and rice. Hamburger Helper HAS to be cooked. It's noodles are too thick to rehydrate without cooking.

With the Bear Creek and Knorr packets, I dehydrated hamburger rocks, imitation crab and canned chicken to add to them, as well as mixed veggies and broccoli. Small/Tiny pasta like you find in the Mexican section and ramen noodles cook well and can be added to thicken up the meals, Bear Creek Soups all need something extra added.

Stove Top dressing works well. I added dehydrated chicken and a couple of tablespoons of turkey gravy mix. In another baggie, instant mashed potatoes and in a 3rd baggie you could do another veggie.

If you stock freeze dried or dehydrated foods and powdered seasonings like tomato powder, teriyaki powder, Worcestershire powder, etc you can adapt almost any recipe.

The local outdoor store said when they go hiking they do a 3 course meal. They do instant mashed potatoes when they stop for the night because they are done as soon as they cool off enough to eat. Then they boil the water to rehydrate dinner and set up camp. As a dessert they do instant pudding - add enough powdered milk for what it calls for and then add water to make it.

I've got to go get ready to go to town, but I'll check in later.

It's a 15 day trip . All but 5 they will be camping at camp grounds. Those 5 will be in wilderness.

Next week starts 3 saturday classes so the kids know how to set up camp, wilderness survival/backpacking skills and leave no trace concepts. They also start the physical conditioning which they have to keep up untill they leave in July. She is getting 1 PE credit for this trip. The school is providing the water fliters and the campgrounds will have running warter. 6 of the days will be travelling there and back.

Some of the meals they will be buying.(Fastfood/Pizza) We have to provivide food, hiking boots, 2 cans of fuel, a sleep mat and some way to carry water hands free.

DD2 and her tent mate are planing to camp in the back yard to pratice and The other Mother and I are going to make sure they can cook everything. The leaders said they will make sure the kids don't starve.

One teacher has led the class for the last 18 years and the other for about 8.

Sounds good. I always worry if they're going to be prepared to go, but sounds like they leaders and moms ;) have it together. Just make sure to get the boots in time for her to break them in.

For carrying water, you can get water systems (platypus is the most known brand) that fit in the pack if it's got the hole for the tube to come out of. 32 ounce gatorade bottles work well. They are lightweight and durable. If the pack doesn't have the built in place for the platypus, it may have pouches for the water bottles. If it has neither, there are clips to attach a regular size water bottle to your belt or you can go on instructables or pintrest and find patterns to make water bottle carries from paracord that can be worn crossbody our around your neck. I haven't looked to much at them, but I'm sure you can find ways to make them to carry other ways.