MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

So, how are things?

Been a long time, but thought I'd stop in and say hello. How's everyone?

Actually, things have been really slow on MrsS since summer started. All the lucky ones are probably in their gardens ...canning, dehydrating, weeding and feasting.

DH planted a few potato towers and 3 beds of onions......one and a half beds have been eaten by the voles. :yar: Ya just can't fight voles, prairie varmints, drought, deer and even elk. :0237:

So I'm here .... Been looking into hydroponics and specifically, aquaponics [with fish in the cycle].... No voles there! Hmph!

Can't believe summer is half gone. In CO we have smoke and forest fire in June; rain (thankfully) in July; and I'm usually dodging HEAT in Aug. Not altogether my favorite time of year. :shrug:

MtRider :wave:

Edited by Mt_Rider

We're doing fine...as long as we keep family at bay! LOL After our motorcycle day trip, we picked some corn, green beans, tomatoes and a healthy bag of Swiss Chard. I fixed a "chard salad" since Mountain Man had never eaten chard...LOL He enjoyed it! I told him that I pretty much prefer chard for salad's because they're soooo much easier to grow and much more versatile to cook or eat. Our lettuce just hasn't done a bit good this year and I've got tomatoes, radishes & carrots that beg to be eaten with "something"! LOL Got tons of cherry tomatoes on the vine, but nothing red yet. I'll can most of them. I think my berry bushes are done for the year (this is their 1st year for 2 plants, and 2nd year for the 3rd. The rasberry did nothing, so I'll cut it back this fall, and if it fails next year it's history. Sprayed the corn immediately with my "veggie soap" because we found one ear with a worm and another with a bug but mixed up some Neem and will spray again tomorrow just to make sure. Our corn is so beautiful and producing so well, and I'm not about to give it up to bugs! Neem is organic so I don't fear using it.

Well I haven't had much time to get into trouble. Too busy working and chasing after my 2 yr old. DD is a junior in college, DS#1 starting college this fall, DS#2 will be a sophomore in HS and DS#3 starting middle school. DH is unemployed and watching our yougest DS. I am working full time as an RN so my life looks quite different since you were last here :) I put in 3 raspberry bushes but that is the extent of the garden I have this year despite my plans to get in a bigger garden we couldn't get the fencing put up so rather than feed the deer again and get dissapointed I opted to wait until we can fix the fence.

How is life going for you MM? :bighug2:

I'm on summer vacation but can't believe school will be back in already in 4 weeks. Yikes! It's gone way too fast. I had such a long list at the beginning of the summer but haven't gotten a lot done due to a pinched nerve in my back. I'm learning a lot of patience with the pain. My garden is in but not nearly as prolific this year. I now have 7 hens ( don't let the chicken police know i have one more than I'm supposed to!) who I love watching and collecting the most delicious eggs from. One of the saddest things we had to do was putting our Abby to sleep. Miss her a lot. First time in many years I'm not a dogmom. But, life goes on. My dh keeps telling me she's in doggie heaven having a blast with Bailey...her mate from a long time ago. One of the funnest thing I'm doing is taking cooking classes at our local food Coop. I'd forgotten how much I liked trying new things...

Two of my adult children are back with us...one since last year and one for the summer...the living room has been dd's bedroom since June. Three bedroom/one bath is just not enough space. It has made for an interesting summer.

How are things going with you?

We have had a roller coaster 12 months! August DD3 got married, February, discovered that DH had lesions in the lung that were growing, June DD2 got married. June 2nd CT scan for DH, more lesions, GP said time to do the things you have been putting off. Not quite the news we wanted. July 19th first Grandchild - Samuel Grant B... 7lb 11oz and gave his Mum a hard time. Hoping the next 12 months are a little easier!

Gardening - not happening this year, we are above a highway on the crest of a hill so all the trucks pump out a lot of diesel fumes.

after 25 years our time as parents of school students is coming to an end. Our youngest has one more term of studies, then study break and final exams. that will be different, she is talking about moving to the city, so it will be a quieter household too. :(

We have had a roller coaster 12 months! August DD3 got married, February, discovered that DH had lesions in the lung that were growing, June DD2 got married. June 2nd CT scan for DH, more lesions, GP said time to do the things you have been putting off. Not quite the news we wanted. July 19th first Grandchild - Samuel Grant B... 7lb 11oz and gave his Mum a hard time. Hoping the next 12 months are a little easier!

Gardening - not happening this year, we are above a highway on the crest of a hill so all the trucks pump out a lot of diesel fumes.

after 25 years our time as parents of school students is coming to an end. Our youngest has one more term of studies, then study break and final exams. that will be different, she is talking about moving to the city, so it will be a quieter household too. :(

The Empty Nester life is a bit difficult at first, but it wil grow on ya! Learning to cook less food was my biggest challenge.

Hi there MM and all. Here in Alabama we are having an unusual July. Much cooler and rainier than normal. Children are growing like weeds. The seven now range in age from just turned 9 to turning 19. We didn't garden at ll this year. Instead, we've started our bee hives. Or I should say DH has.