MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The confusion: Pressure Canner/Cooker

:sigh: It's really no wonder folks are getting all confused about canning in pressure cookers.

Ran into this today and ...... :scratchhead: The thing looks like a pressure COOKER to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-Rapida-10-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B000VLKMD8

Now when you see this one, it's quite clear that it's for real Pressure CANNING. :cheer:

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/All-American-10-Quart-Pressure-Canning-Kit.htm

Just look at all the data included in the description of the All American vs this Fagor brand thingie.

Violet? HAS this Fagor company created a pot-shaped real pressure CANNER or is this what it looks like.....a dangerous bit of advertising???

MtRider -- keep checking and keep spreading the word on safety :canning:

It really is no wonder new canners (people) get confused. I got a Kindle book on canning a few months ago and some of the information in it was wrong and some very outdated. It was written in 2013. I THINK it was called Canology. As much as I love Youtube, some of the information on there is frightening.

Someone once said just because certain things and ways of canning are not recommended is just because the USDA hasn't tested it yet. It's not that it isn't safe, it's just not been tested so that's why they don't recommend it. Because if it hasn't been tested, they really don't know and they are covering their rear end. :banghead: (I don't say that. I either saw it on Youtube or read it on a 'canning' site. Probably Youtube.)

That looks like a cooker to me in the link.

They have been tested. People are not educating themselves. If they would read the USDA information, they would find out they ARE tested.

That is not a canner !! It is only meant for cooking in. Fagor is making false statements.

With the recent near death of that man in Seattle canning in a cooker like that, it would make you think the companies would take liability issues more seriously. Nope, they just want to sell a product no matter what.

Looks like a cooker to me! I may be wrong, but the easiest way for Philbe to remember is: "cooker" that cooks the food in the process, "canner" means just preserving what's being canned. If I don't have to "cook" it, to me it means watebath canning...ie, jams, tomatoes etc. Cooking means veggies, meats etc. ???

Edited by Philbe

Usually the canners will say cooker/canner on the box. You can cook in a canner, but not can in a cooker. If it holds more than 4 qt. jars and has a way to vent it out before the weight/counterweight goes on, it is a canner.

That Fagor has no way to leave off any weight to vent it for a full 10 minutes.

I don't remember the brand, but there is also an electric cooker that says you are able to can in it. Again, it has no way to vent it out, plus it only has one pressure to choose from. It just closes and cooks.

Edited by Violet

We'll keep spreading the word........

Yup, after MrsS tutoring all these years, you can spot a phony! But, as you say, WHY IN THE WORLD, would a company risk a lawsuit of that nature? Somebody's lawyers aren't working for their living!

MtRider :canning:

I figure companies like that and others sell enough items and make enough money that it more than pays to have a lawsuit. Their bottom line far exceeds their moral obligation.

Most big corporations have lawyers that already work for them on salary so it isn't like they have to go out and hire one. They are already there working for them. And they probably have liability insurance to cover most lawsuits.

Then again...I could be wrong.

What I don't get are the regular people (on Youtube) who put out dangerous information and then when they are made aware of it, they don't pull or correct the video. They are the ones who have the most to lose. I don't know what to say about all of the canning books out there with misinformation. Once it is in print and in someone's home it can't be deleted or corrected. It probably wouldn't be anyway. I'm amazed at the new canning books. I mentioned Canology but I just read another one last night that had wrong information and left out some of the basic steps involved in canning. It was published in July 14, 2013. It is called Whoopass Canning. It was free too but not now.

Edited to make a correction.

The book is called Canning Whoopass. Charming title. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jeepers
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it's the current issue of Mother Earth News that has an article about canning... and starts off by telling about some family who experienced a power outage and used their "All American Pressure **COOKER**" to can up the meat from their freezer...

Sigh...

ETA: and does anyone know why my font is so danged tiny all of a sudden? I've changed it to larger font three times and it won't stay!

Edited by babysteps

We just recently had a case of botulism from a man in our state that got botulism and nearly died from canning elk in a pressure cooker.

This man is a lawyer. Shows you that just because you are educated in many things sure doesn't mean you understand food preservation safety.

This is why I always try to explain that following just any website or book will not insure your food is safe to eat. I am just glad the man lived to tell about it.

I knew there was a difference when I first started coming here, but was really scared to try canning for this very reason. Had a friend who had a niece who opened a water bathed jar of peaches (many years ago) and it wasn't sealed. Being a youngster, she didn't know that the difference between a bad lid or a sealed lid. Sent her to the hospital emergency room, sooooo very sick! The only thing I had ever done was waterbathing fruits & jellies, dehydrating & remembering my mom canning. But, I got over the hump and am doing all three now thanks to the encouragement from the ladies here! I follow my "book" (LOL) and then also check the book that came with my pressure canner...except cabbage! Went to some other sources for that & now hear Violet say it turns out strong etc. :-(

I think part of the problem is that the pressure canner sells for $200, while the cooker/"canner" is much cheaper. For someone who doesn't know the difference, the lower price is much more attractive...............specially if you're only 'experimenting' with canning. :canning:

Philbe, the book with canners are not accurate on many things. Please toss it and use the current Ball Blue Book or So Easy to Preserve or extension websites.

Yup. The book that came with my AA had the incorrect time to allow the canner to vent steam before placing the weight on it. Thankfully, Violet set me straight! Other than the parts labeling and cleaning instructions, the book that came with the canner is useless.

I know some of the people in extension have been trying to get them to change their owners manuals.

I don't know what the Mirro or Presto ones say now.

New Mirro canners are junk ! They put these wimpy springs in the handles and they don't hold up. They are no stronger than ones from an ink pen. Once Mirro was bought out, the canners became pretty much worthless.

REally! Well that's a new bit of data for me. Making a note of that but.....really I just use the Ball book and the extension sites.

MtRider - sheeesh, you'd think the AA canner people could get it right! :canning:

That surprised me a little, too. And the thing was we were being super careful and following things step-by-step from the manual just to do a test run to see how everything worked. I'm so glad that when I posted here Violet caught that!!