MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stuffed dumplings with feta

How can I elevate traditional stuffed dumplings with an unexpected twist by incorporating tangy feta cheese? What are some creative fillings and flavor combinations that pair well with

feta in dumplings? Are there any regional variations or international recipes that showcase feta-stuffed dumplings? Can you suggest cooking methods, such as steaming or pan-frying,

that would enhance the texture and flavor of feta-filled dumplings? Are there any recommended sauces or dips that complement the savory taste of feta in dumplings? How can I ensure

that the feta cheese retains its distinct flavor and doesn't overpower the other ingredients in the dumplings? Do you have any tips for achieving the perfect balance of flavors and

textures in feta-stuffed dumplings?

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, maymayms said:

How can I elevate traditional stuffed dumplings with an unexpected twist by incorporating tangy feta cheese? What are some creative fillings and flavor combinations that pair well with

feta in dumplings? Are there any regional variations or international recipes that showcase feta-stuffed dumplings here knutschis? Can you suggest cooking methods, such as steaming or pan-frying,

that would enhance the texture and flavor of feta-filled dumplings? Are there any recommended sauces or dips that complement the savory taste of feta in dumplings? How can I ensure

that the feta cheese retains its distinct flavor and doesn't overpower the other ingredients in the dumplings? Do you have any tips for achieving the perfect balance of flavors and

textures in feta-stuffed dumplings?

love to hear yout thougts and suggestions

Edited by maymayms
  • Like 2

feta and spinach are traditional companions.   feta and chicken also work well.  Other additions are sun dried tomatoes, basil, fig, or various jam type fillings.   

• Like 2

We don’t have access to feta, and my DH doesn’t like dumplings.  Otherwise I would offer any suggestions I knew of.  Sorry. :sigh:

He likes traditional biscuits.  With the exception of ‘Red Lobsters” cheesy biscuits.  

2 C Bisquick original baking mix

1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese 

1/2 C milk

2 Tbs butter

1/8 tsp garlic powder

Heat oven to 450°F.  Stir baking mix, cheese, melted butter, garlic & milk. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 8-10 min.

High altitude… 475° 9-10 min.

Note:  I add more cheddar cheese, butter & garlic….  

If I remember correctly, there is a thread here, somewhere, that has a recipe to make Bisquick from scratch…. 

• Like 2

Dumplings are more like Asian ravioli than biscuits.   They are boiled, fried, or steamed.   Sometimes rice flour, wheat, or semolina.  Otherwise they are basically ravioli.  Traditionally they would never have cheese, but fusion can be fun.  I would skip any traditional Asian sauce if using the feta.   Instead dip them in some type of marinara, pesto, or alfredo based sauce.  If you google feta ravioli, you will find a million fillings, then you can just use your dumpling dough instead.  Keep in mind it will be better steamed than boiled with such a wet filling in the dumpling dough.   

A more biscuit like approach that would be stuffed would be a bao bun or a pork bun.  --Those are made and steamed rather than baked.  Asian food is almost never baked.  

I make a similar red lobster recipe.   I do the flour/fat/baking powder/buttermilk/cheese and bake it.  Then I melt the butter, stir in garlic, and brush it over the tops of the done biscuits.  The garlic flavor is more prominent that way.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2

I don’t use feta but I have used other cheese to fill dumplings and use them in various ways.  My favorite is with a fruit sauce more as a desert. I drop them onto the top of simmering sauce, cover them with a lid and boil them for ten +/- minutes and then continue to simmer uncovered for another ten +/- minutes to dry them somewhat so not soggy.   I use them in a similar way on soups and stews. 

• Like 3

I adore how  similar and different food is across the world.  And now I am seriously craving dumplings.  

Dumplings like fruit cobbler dumplings and chicken and dumplings are delicious.   They share nothing in common with traditional stuffed Asian dumplings.  The ingredients are occasionally similar, but the amounts are never the same, the cooking methods and duration are never the same, the texture is completely different. 

Bread dumplings like what you would think of as in chicken and dumplings, the fruit cobbler, and the red lobster are going to have a crumbly, biscuit like texture.   You could potentially stuff a western dumpling biscuit type dumpling, but it would completely fall apart if you boiled it in liquid like a normal western-style dumpling.  The only way for it to hold together is going to be to bake it and then it is going to turn out more like a stuffed biscuit or muffin.   Which are delicious!

Note that there is a 3rd type of dumpling that is the western baked dumpling.  It is basically something like beef wellington, or apple dumplings and it is an item covered in dough and baked.   Sometimes considered a traditional European baked dumpling, it is always baked and has a somewhat crispier outer crust.  

A picture is worth a Thousand Words:

Western Boiled Dumplings--never filled, boiled in a liquid.  Noted for its crumb, thickness, and lack of crispiness as a whole.  

image.jpeg.2417c1cb725fb2aff608a9725beef30c.jpegimage.jpeg.3ef68b590b0606173cd6520e5deb3eeb.jpeg

Eastern Dumplings--always filled and fried/baked/steamed/boiled.  Noted for its thin, pasta like texture and savory or sweet fillings.  

image.jpeg.2efa61771a8d233f1851f467eb0305bb.jpegimage.jpeg.686733ece15afc3d58685685065c6251.jpeg

European Baked Dumplings--always filled and baked (though I have seen them deep fried in some modern applications):   Usually crispy with a crumb noticeably different than boiled dumplings.  

image.thumb.jpeg.99546a2a4c585188ea608e18199d2fa1.jpegimage.jpeg.6023872bd5d95de7a89bcdb73c7e7c94.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1