MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need a recipe from the Ball Book

Does anyone have the Ball Book: The Complete Book of Home Preserving

I am looking for the recipe for Split Pea Soup (Habitant Soup). I should be on pg 403 :cook:

If you have it, would you be willing to share it? If you don't want to post it here in this thread you can message it to me or email it to me.  :sSig_thankyou:

• Like 2

I don't have that particular book, but my personal recipe is this:

Split Pea soup canned:

2c split peas

8c water

1 T chicken bullion/base

1 c diced ham or pork

1 1/2 c small diced carrots

1 c small diced onion

1/2 t lemon pepper

1 bay leaf

salt & pepper

Cook peas, water, bullion for an hour and then puree.  Add remainder.  Boil.  Reduce heat to low cook 30m.  Season to taste.  Add water if too thick.  Remove bay leaf.  Pack into jars and process pints at 10lbs for 75m.  

When it is fresh, I often add smoked sausage slices if not vegetarian.  

• Like 1

The Southern Living The Canning and Preserving Cookbook recipe from page 72 is this:

Split Pea Soup

2 c split peas

1 ham hock

1 onion chopped

2 carrots sliced

1c chopped celery

salt to taste

Soak peas in water to cover for 12 hours and drain.  Place in a large pan with 3 quarts of water and ham hock and simmer covered for 2 hours.  Add onion, carrot, and celery and simmer covered for 1 hour.  Remove ham hock and cut the meat into small pieces.  Pres the vegetables through a sieve and add the meat and salt.  Pour into hot pint jars to 1 inch from the top.  Process at 10# pressure for 50m.  

• Like 1

Thank you for your recipe. My split pea soup is basically just peas and chicken stock plus some seasoning, and, don't forget the salt!

Sometimes I may use a ham hock to start the brew, but I always "tone it down" with the chix broth.

Some of the recipes I have seen use bay leaves plus, sometimes allspice. I have never used either of them so I don't know how the soup would turn out if I did.

Did I understand you correctly about the "fate" of the veggies in your soup: you "blend" them into a "paste" and then mix that into your soup? That is something I would do because I don't like "chunks" of stuff in a thicker soup - it looks very unappetizing to me. (Trying to keep that "gag reflex" under control. :P )

• Like 2

Bay leaf adds a very nice flavor.  I use it in a lot of things including marinara, and any and all broth based soups.  It is hard to describe the flavor and it doesn't add much, but you can tell when it isn't there and when it is.  It makes a big difference and things just meld a little bit better when using several spices.  It sorta useful to get things to combine properly.  

You can blend the veggies if you like.  I usually make the soup a tad on  the thinner side with finely diced carrot, onion, and ham floating around in it.  Its a texture issue that we prefer.  I have pureed the whole thing before feeding older people with teeth issues.  You can puree ANYTHING.   Just some things taste better with a bit of texture if there are no health issues.   

• Like 1

I have the ball complete book of home preserving. Here is the recipe.

Makes about 5 pints or 2-quart jars. 

2 cups dried split peas

8 cups water

1-1/2 cups sliced carrots

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup diced cooked ham

1 bay leaf

1/4 tsp ground allspice

salt & freshly ground black pepper

1: In a large stainless-steel saucepan, combine peas & water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat. cover and boil gently for about 1 hour or until peas are tender. 

2: Prepare weighted-gauge pressure canner, jars and lids. 

3: If a smooth soup is desired, working in batches, puree peas and liquid in a food mill or a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Return puree to saucepan.

4: Add carrots, onion, ham, bay leaf & allspice to saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently for 30 minutes. If soup is too thick, thin with boiling water. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf. 

5: Ladle hot soup into hot jars, leaving 1 inch head space. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot soup. Wipe rim with a paper towel moistened with vinegar. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. 

6: Place jars in pressure canner. Adjust water level, lock lid and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Vent steam for 10 minutes, then close the vent. Continue heating to achieve 10 lbs. pressure. Process pints for 75 minutes and quarts for 90 minutes.

7: Turn off heat. Let pressure return to zero naturally. Wait 2 minutes longer, then open vent. Remove canner lid. Wait 10 minutes then remove jars, cool and store. 

• Like 2

Littlesister beat me to it. I was going to check at the house tomorrow.

Let us know how you like it. I've never done split pea soup but it's on my to-do list. I tend to make my soups too thick so I need to watch for that. I like the idea of using chicken stock too. Chunks don't bother me. 

• Like 2

we eat split  pea soup about once a month.   That or lintel soup which is the same recipe( add turmeric), chunks are a plus for us, but I have  pureed many things for the old/young.  Texture is a thing savored by a certain age.

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3
On 12/21/2023 at 8:30 PM, Jeepers said:

Do you want the one post right above this one deleted? If so I can TRY.

I don't think it's necessary to delete it as I moved the post to the correct forum. It's just "annoying" that if a person goofs and doesn't want to leave an empty post you have to think of something 'fun' to say to 'splain it. :sigh:

• Like 2

1 recipe coming up:

The Game Cookbook

Brunswick Stew

4-5 squirrels disjointed

3 sliced onions

2 quarts tomatoes chopped

Cayenne to taste

3 peeled diced potatoes

2c fresh lima beans

2c corn

2c sliced okra

Brown squirrel and onions in bacon fat.  Debone and add all to a pot.  Cook slowly, season to taste.

I prefer to disjoint squirrel and cook it like pork chops.  You will need to use a good bit of fat to cook it.  It smells exactly like pork chops.  The lady that watched DD20 that first year after ii went back to work cooked it at least once a week.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2

Brunswick county is in VA.    VA and GA have a dispute on if it came from there or here, but generally accepted as one of the two.  I love food history.  

Some say that it came from Germany in the Duchy of Brunswick, but all the food items are native to North America, so that seems unlikely.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2