MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Freezer Meal Combinations To Make

Posted (edited)

Eggs freeze well for cooking. Just blend the yolk and white together. The issue is the boiled egg white alone. 

Scrambled eggs are great frozen in breakfast burrito's etc. 

Yep, Euphrasyne. We were posting at the same time.  :D

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 3

About the only beef we eat is ground beef so I tend to buy it in bulk. I will buy a couple of 10 pound rolls when the local store has it on sale. I will then cook it and add sesaonings for spaghetti, tacos, and chili. I will then freeze it in one cup portions which is perfect for a meal for two. You can also make up hamburgers and freeze them. If you cook them then freeze them reheat them using broth and they will be nice and juicy. 

Don't forget campfire aka hobo meals aka packet meals whichever you call them, they freeze well also. I usually use hamburger patties, potatoes, carrots and onion in mine. I have used sliced ham or a porkchop. 

I agree cook up a batch of pancakes and waffles and flash freeze them. Hubby loves when I do this. He especially likes when I used the tiny waffle maker and he can pop the waffles in the toaster. He likes his waffles crispy. 

We do a lot of breakfast burritos and muffins. I also do quiche or breakfast casseroles in muffin pans and freeze them. These are good for any meal of the day or just a snack. High in protein also. I usually have the casserole muffins with a bowl of fruit or granola and yogurt. The casserole muffins are the bomb and you can do so many different kinds, from plain eggs and cheese to country style with hashbrowns and ham. Same with the quiche, plain to mushroom and cheese. 

Along those lines I have some homemade mac & cheese frozen in muffin size servings. We haven't tried them yet. I am hoping they will be fine. It will save a lot of time when the grands come to visit. Homemade mac & cheese is their favorite request. 

I make homemade pizza sauce and freeze it in ice trays. One cube is the perfect amount for an English muffin pizza or a personal pan size pizza crust. These are easy to prep and freeze. Slice an English muffin put parchament paper between the layers put in a sandwich bag along with any toppings you might like - hubby's favorite is pepperoni and jalapeno so I put like 10 slices of pepperoni in a snack bag then 2-3 tablespoon of cheese in another snack bag. Put these in the bag with the English muffin and freeze. There is always an open jar of sweet hot jalapenos in the refrig. Then all he has to do is pull out one cube of pizza sauce and the bag of pizza ingredients and has lunch in a matter of minutes compliments of the microwave. 

Besides breakfast burritos I make beef and bean, green chile and cheese and chicken burritos. These all freeze well. Yes we are big Tex-Mex fans. We live in Texas what can I say.

Public service announcement, fish tacos do not freeze well :yuk: so I just buy frozen fish and make them from scratch. I do however, freeze corn tortilla shells and the cooked peppers and onions that we put on top. Hubby's favorite is beer batter fish sticks with peppers and onions. Not the most healtiest but he doesn't get them that often. The fish sticks are easy to prepare in the air fryer. Then all he does is assemble the taco and stick it back in the air fryer and in just a few mintues he has fish tacos. These are also easy to prep and freeze. The corn tortillas fit perfect in quart size bags. I then put the fish in a sandwich bag and the peppers and onions in a snack bag. Put these in with the corn tortillas and we grab them and a have tacos within 15 - 20 minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Jeepers, thinks for the tip on mixing the yoke and whites together first. 

Mommato3boys, I like those ideas also. Once I get my freezers cleaned out and emptied and then get an upright freezer, I will have lots of ideas from all of you to get started on the prepared meals.

• Like 2

Good ideas MT3B. I make my hamburger patties with egg, cracker crumbs and Lipton-ish soup mix. I never thought about cooking them first though. And I like my waffles crunchy too.

I see more freezer cube trays in my future. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I see more freezer cube trays in my future. 

Jeepers I just have 4 ice cube trays and when what I put in them freezes I dump into ziplock backs. Takes up less room because I can stack them or put them in a basket in the freezer to keep them organized. I got mine at Dollar General 2 for $1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only have 2 ice trays and will be getting at least 2 more when I am ready to start freezing eggs.  I can't wait to be able to have the room in kitchen freezer to do the freezer meals.  Yep, canning starts again tomorrow. 

Thanks MT3B. I have four of the silicone trays that I used for freezing eggs. Each tray has 6 compartments. They were just the right size for freezing whole large eggs. I did a lot at one time so I kept having to wait until they froze and reuse them. I just got the cheapy ones from Wal-Mart but they worked really well...AFTER I SPRAYED THEM! I'd like to do some pizza sauce like you mentioned too.  :yum3:  And butter herb cubes too. 

I used freezer bags for string  storing the eggs. I really need to check out the Dollar stores for freezer storage bins. I need something to corral my chicken breasts, They slide all over the place in the freezer. It doesn't help that each one is individually wrapped.

I really don't like to cook that much but I'm getting so excited to be able to can and freeze again. 

Edited by Jeepers
Auto Corrected Me
  • Like 2

Jeepers, you will get there. And it is hard when you can't get it done. I'm just glad I can now get that out of the way. Still a way to go to get the chest freezer emptied and what did I do today but buy a Boston butt to can. I don't have much pork canned. So, when I went to Kroger just to compare prices, they had a good size one for $6.23 reduced. So, I jumped on it. Then spotted the roast and there was a few that was reduced so got one of those to cut up for stew beef. Going to can beef stew and was out of stew beef.

• Thanks 1

I saw something that might be good for a freezer breakfast.  They took English muffins and put sausage, and some had bacon, I think egg, and cheese, but not sure what else. And froze them. Something like that for breakfast would be good also.

• Like 3

I just made eight of those tonight, Little Sister.  These were egg, sausage patty, and cheese in an English muffin.  I wrapped them individually in plastic wrap and then put them in a zip lock bag in the freezer.  DH can just take one out and thaw it in the microwave, add a Dish of fruit and have a filling breakfast. Or lunch or snack anytime.   🍔 :happy0203:

• Like 2

English muffin combos I make and freeze on the regular:

bacon/egg/cheese

sausage/egg/cheese

ham/egg/cheese

chicken patty/cheese (sometimes with egg if breakfast)  (sometimes with hot sauce)

Lunchmeat/cheese

Nutella or nutella/jam

PB&J

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 1/5/2024 at 9:33 AM, Mother said:

If you add a Food saver bag it’s even more.   I use food saver bags to freeze foods directly.  I vacuum seal the food then lay the bags flat on a cookie sheet to freeze.

Another one of the important benefits of vacuum sealing is that it is less likely to get freezer burn, which totally ruins foods for me.

My mom had bought a bunch of those containers and I cooked a ton of food and we froze them in them. It DID take alot of space and I was always concerned about the eventual freezer burn.

• Like 2

The container meals do not store as long but they are convenient for when cooking is not an option.  The containers are usually freezer to microwave.  I figured in a power outage I could transfer them to tins to be heated in my Dutch oven on the wood stove.  

• Like 2

I don't think of them as really long term food storage. My plan is to eat them over the course of a year. Purely convenience food for me. Cooking for one isn't always easy. When I do cook, I tend to over do it. Freezer cooking for me is like canning. I'd rather do a lot at one time than a little bit, often. In other words, I'm a lazy cook. Do it once and get it over with.  :D

• Like 2

Jeepers, I do agree. It is hard to cook for one. It was hard when the kids all grew up and moved out and then only cooking for 2 was hard. I always had leftovers that I was going to freeze but DH always ate it for his lunch. So never really had much in leftovers. Now I am trying to get leftovers frozen but sometimes GS will come home from work and eat it. So still nothing left to freeze yet. Still working on getting those freezers emptied and then I will start making dinners and put in the kitchen fridge to start. I almost have that one done. 

I took three out of the freezer in Indy and brought them over here and put them in the freezer right away at the house. They were still frozen but not as solid. So, I have three meals over here. 

My taste buds are still messed up from covid and since I've had whatever this crud is, they have gotten worse. Now my sense of smell is going bad too. Next time I see my doctor I'm going to tell him that if there is a test program (can't think what it's called) for this, then sign me up. It's pretty bad. My luck there will be one...in downtown Cleveland.  :sigh:

• Like 2

Not any meds to cause this. The last time I looked it up on line it said if it didn't clear up in about 6 months it probably wouldn't. It's been a year for me. I haven't checked lately though. I will do that tomorrow. It's that long haul covid stuff.  

• Like 2

Jeepers, I really hope there is a solution to that issue.  I know that makes it hard to find food that taste good.  I never got Covid, and I thank the Lord daily for that. Though I don't know how other than the Lord was watching out for me back in 2020.  Hospitals, pharmacies and everywhere else I had to go to get things that were needed for DH. And I never got it. I did follow all the guidelines for flu and took zinc, C and other vitamins as well. So, maybe that helped but I give the credit to the Lord.